Are There Green Stars? Exploring Unusual Astronomic Colors

In summary, the conversation discusses the colors of stars and whether there are any green stars. The participants note that the color of stars is primarily determined by their temperature, with red, white/yellow, and blue being the most common colors. They also mention that the perception of color in stars is subjective and can be influenced by other factors. It is noted that there are stars that appear green, but they are not perceived as such due to the presence of other visible wavelengths. The conversation also references a blog post by Phil Plait on the subject.
Scott S
I was out in my backyard performing some astronomic observations for azimuth and latitude and was treated to a few of the recent meteors. I have seen a few different colored ones and it got me to wondering. I have heard of red, blue, white and other colored stars, but don't ever remember hearing about a green one.
So, are there any green stars?
And what other colors are missing?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The color of stars are mostly just red white/yellow and blue; this is because they're very rough classes referring to the temperature (and therefore peak luminosity of the stars). Cold stars are red, moderate - white/yellow, and hot - blue. All of these stars appear fairly white (yellow with atmospheric effects) when looking at the entire visible band.

There are stars that are pretty green, but star colors are most evident in subjective comparisons, star-to-star. Loose clusters are great for this. The double cluster is a nice place to browse with a decent 'scope to identify various colors. One decent example of subjective color-perception is Alberio. The pairing of gold and blue stars is fairly striking when you see them together - either alone would be less remarkable.

The post is mostly accurate but a tiny bit misleading. You Do not need only green light to perceive the color green; you just need more green light than what is available from a blackbody radiator.

A great example of a natural spectrum that closely mimics the solar blackbody emission but looks very green is the sulpher plasma.

Thank you gentlemen,
If the kids ever ask, I'll have this one covered.
Dad is looking smarter all the time.
...except to the wife, of course...

There are also Orange stars such as Betelgeuse, Antares, Aldebaran, Arcturus and Pollux, all of which are clearly of orange or red hue.

FAQ: Are There Green Stars? Exploring Unusual Astronomic Colors

1. What are green stars?

Green stars are a type of star that has a green color. They are rare and are thought to be caused by a combination of factors such as the star's temperature, chemical composition, and surrounding environment.

2. How are green stars formed?

Green stars are formed when a star's surface temperature is around 5,000-6,500 Kelvin and has a high concentration of magnesium in its outer layer. This combination causes the star's light to appear green to our eyes.

3. Can we see green stars with the naked eye?

No, green stars are not visible to the naked eye. They are only visible through advanced telescopes that can detect the specific wavelength of green light emitted by these stars.

4. Are green stars common?

No, green stars are not common. They are rare and are estimated to make up less than 1% of all stars in the universe.

5. Do green stars have any impact on their surrounding environment?

Green stars do not have a significant impact on their surrounding environment. They are just like any other star, except for their unusual green color.