Are there some calculator programs like this out there?

In summary, one student in a physics class has a calculator program that helps him ace multiple choice tests, but he lacks understanding of the subject. There may be good physics programs for calculators, but they may only be helpful for basic problems and could potentially violate school's honor code. It is advised to avoid relying on such programs as they can hinder education and may have serious consequences.
mango84
Hey everyone,

I'm currently in a physics I class and I think one of the guys in my class has a fancy program in his calculator to calculate his work for him. He's a computer engineering student (still in pre-engineering) and always makes 100's on his multiple choice tests, but he doesn't know a hill of beans about physics. What is going on here? Are there any kinds of really good physics programs out there for a calculator? Our tests are really hard, so I'd assume that it's a super program!

Physics news on Phys.org
Such programs will only help you with freshman-level plug-and-chug type problems anyway, so I wouldn't spend much time worrying about them. In later classes, your friend will probably discover he's in very deep trouble, after having basically cheated his way through freshman year and learned nothing.

Furthermore, calculator programs can be (and probably are) a violation of your school's honor code, and could get him expelled. If you're concerned that the impact of his cheating on the grading system, you should tell your instructor. You don't have to name any names. He/she should change the testing policies to prohibit the use of calculators capable of "fancy programs."

Either way, steer clear of these kinds of easy-way-out solutions. In the best case, they will stunt your education; in the worst case, they could get you expelled.

- Warren

Yes, there are many calculator programs available that can assist with physics calculations. These programs are often used by students and professionals in various fields of science and engineering. Some popular calculator programs for physics include Physics Toolbox, Physics Calculator, and Physics Formula Calculator. These programs can help with calculations for mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, and other areas of physics. However, it's important to note that these programs should be used as a tool to aid understanding and not as a substitute for learning the material. It's always best to have a solid understanding of the concepts before relying on a calculator program.

Related to Are there some calculator programs like this out there?

1. How do I find calculator programs similar to this one?

There are a few ways to find calculator programs similar to the one you are looking for. You can search online for "calculator programs" and browse through different options. You can also ask for recommendations from friends or colleagues who may have used similar programs before. Additionally, there are websites and forums dedicated to discussing and reviewing different calculator programs, which can also help you find similar options.

2. Are there any free calculator programs available?

Yes, there are many free calculator programs available online. Some are web-based, while others can be downloaded onto your computer or mobile device. It is important to read reviews and make sure the program is from a reputable source before downloading.

3. Can I use calculator programs for complex calculations?

Yes, many calculator programs are capable of handling complex calculations, including scientific and statistical functions. However, it is important to make sure the program you are using has the features you need before relying on it for important calculations.

4. Can I create my own calculator program?

Yes, there are resources and programming languages available for creating your own calculator program. However, this may require some coding knowledge and experience. You can also customize existing calculator programs by adding or removing functions to better suit your needs.

5. Are calculator programs accurate?

Calculator programs are designed to be accurate, but it is important to keep in mind that they are not infallible. Errors can occur due to user input, programming bugs, or limitations of the program. It is always a good idea to double-check your calculations and use multiple sources when working on important calculations.