Are Thermodynamic Equations Considered PDEs?

In summary, the equations involving partial derivatives in thermodynamics are not considered partial differential equations because they do not involve an unknown function or boundary conditions. They simply show the relationship between different thermodynamic functions.
MexChemE
Hello, PF! As I was reading my P-Chem textbook, I noticed most thermodynamic equations involve partial derivatives, like these ones: [tex]C_V = {\left( \frac {\partial E}{\partial T} \right )}_V[/tex] [tex]{\left( \frac {\partial H}{\partial T} \right )}_P = {\left( \frac {\partial E}{\partial T} \right )}_P + P{\left( \frac {\partial V}{\partial T} \right )}_P[/tex] However, none of these equations is ever actually called a PDE by the author. Is it implied they are PDEs given they involve partial derivatives, or are they not classified as PDEs such as the wave or heat equations? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
They are not equations, but equalities, because there's no unknown function and no boundary conditions. In the first equality you wrote, you should determine what E(T,V) looks like, then partially differentiate wrt T, to get the function C_V(T,V). For the second, there's an equality involving 3 different functions, H(T,P), E(T,P) and V(T,P).

I get it now, they are not equations in the sense that they need not be solved, right? They are just showing the relation between thermodynamic functions.

MexChemE said:
I get it now, they are not equations in the sense that they need not be solved, right? They are just showing the relation between thermodynamic functions.
Right.

Hello there! It is great to see that you are exploring the use of partial differential equations (PDEs) in thermodynamics. PDEs are indeed very common in this field, as they allow us to describe how a system changes over multiple variables, such as temperature and pressure, at the same time.

To answer your question, it is important to understand the difference between an ordinary differential equation (ODE) and a PDE. ODEs involve derivatives with respect to a single variable, while PDEs involve derivatives with respect to multiple variables. In the equations you have provided, the derivatives are taken with respect to both temperature and pressure, making them PDEs.

However, it is not necessary for the author to explicitly label these equations as PDEs, as it is implied by the use of partial derivatives. The wave and heat equations, on the other hand, are specific types of PDEs that describe the behavior of waves and heat in a system, respectively.

I hope this clarifies your question. Keep exploring the use of PDEs in thermodynamics, as they are a powerful tool in understanding complex systems. Best of luck in your studies!

FAQ: Are Thermodynamic Equations Considered PDEs?

1. What is a partial differential equation (PDE)?

A PDE is a mathematical equation that involves multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives. It is commonly used to describe physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What are the different types of PDEs?

There are three main types of PDEs: elliptic, parabolic, and hyperbolic. Elliptic PDEs are used to model steady-state problems, parabolic PDEs are used to model diffusion and heat transfer, and hyperbolic PDEs are used to model wave-like phenomena.

3. How are PDEs solved?

There are various methods for solving PDEs, such as separation of variables, numerical methods, and transform methods. The method used depends on the specific type of PDE and the boundary conditions of the problem.

4. What are the applications of PDEs?

PDEs have a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are used to model and study phenomena such as heat transfer, fluid flow, electromagnetic fields, and population dynamics.

5. What are some famous PDEs?

Some well-known PDEs include the heat equation, the wave equation, and the Navier-Stokes equations. These equations have been studied extensively and have numerous applications in various fields of science and engineering.