Are these all the algebra topics I need to know before starting calculus?

In summary, before starting calculus, it is essential to have a strong understanding of algebra topics such as linear equations, functions, exponents, and logarithms. These concepts lay the foundation for more advanced mathematical concepts used in calculus. It is also important to have a solid grasp of algebraic manipulation and problem-solving techniques. With a strong understanding of these fundamental algebra topics, one can confidently approach the study of calculus.
Raizy
The free textbook I'm using is from http://www.totallyfreemath.com/
I'm not allowed to direct link to the book. Free Math -> View Book Online -> accept terms

Here are the topics covered not including chapter 1:

Solving Equations and Inequality:

2-1 Algebraic Notation and Terminology
2-2 Evaluating Algebraic Expressions
2-3 Algebraic Addition and Subtraction
2-4 The Addition and Subtraction Property of Equality
2-5 The Multiplication and Division Property of Equality
2-6 Solving Linear Equations Ans
2-7 Solving Literal Equations and Formulas
2-8 Word Problems
2-9 Solving Linear Inequalities

Polynomials and Exponents:

3-1 Exponents-I
3-2 Products of Algebraic Expressions
3-3 Exponents-II
3-4 Exponents-III
3-5 Scientific Notation

Factoring and Solution of Quadratic Equations by Factoring:

4-1 Common Factors
4-2 Factoring Trinomials of the Form x2 + bx + c
4-3 Factoring Trinomials of the Form ax2 + bx + c
4-4 Factoring the Difference of Two Squares and Perfect Square Trinomials
4-5 Other Types of Factoring
4-6 Factoring: A General Strategy
4-7 Solving Quadratic Equations by Factoring
4-8 Applications of the Quadratic Equation

Rational Expressions, Ratio and Proportion:

5-1 Rational Numbers and Rational Expressions
5-2 Simplifying Rational Expressions
5-3 The Quotient of Two Polynomials
5-4 Ratio and Proportion

Operations with Rational Expressions:

6-1 Multiplication and Division of Rational Expressions
6-2 Addition and Subtraction of Rational Expressions
6-3 Addition and Subtraction of Rational Expressions
6-4 Complex Fractions
6-5 Rational Equations
6-6 Rational Expression Applications

Linear Equations in Two Variables:

7-1 Ordered Pairs and the Rectangular Coordinate System
7-2 Graphs of Linear Equations
7-3 The Slope of a Line
7-4 The Equation of a Line
7-5 Graphing Linear Inequalities in Two Variables
7-6 Functions Defined by Linear Equations in Two Variables

Systems of Linear Equations:

8-1 Solutions of Systems of Linear Equations by Graphing
8-2 Solutions of Systems of Linear Equations by Elimination
8-3 Solutions of Systems of Linear Equations by Substitution
8-4 Applications of Systems of Linear Equations Ans
8-5 Solving Systems of Linear Inequalities by Graphing

Roots and Radicals:

9-1 Principal Roots
9-2 Product Property for Radicals
9-3 Quotient Property for Radicals
9-4 Sums and Differences of Radicals
9-5 Further Operations with Radicals
9-6 Fractional Exponents
9-7 Equations Involving Radicals

Solutions of Quadratic Equations:

10-1 Solutions of Quadratic Equations by Extracting the Roots Ans
10-2 Solutions of Quadratic Equations by Completing the Square Ans
10-3 Solutions of Quadratic Equations by the Quadratic Formula Ans
10-4 Complex Solutions to Quadratic Equations
10-5 The Graphs of Quadratic Equations in Two Variables-Quadratic Functions

*phew*... Does that cover all topics, or is there a lot more to know? I know I've read around here about needing trigonometry and geometry before starting calculus. This is going to take a lot of self discipline...

I'm probably going to buy a book or software that can teach me calculus (if there are any) if I make it through the pre-requisites. A lot of times I google up topics and watch youtube teachers since the book can be very vague and lacking explanation.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
A LOT of calculus problems require trigonometric knowledge, and a good handle on different trigonometric identities. From the theoretical side there's no actual trigonometry going on, but in practice you need to deal with trigonometric functions all the time in calculus, so you'll need to know what's going on with them.

You don't really need a lot of geometry... as long as you know how to calculate the area of a circle and a rectangle and a triangle, and maybe some 3-d shapes, but those can be picked up as you go along.

You probably will want to practice factoring higher order polynomials (rational root theorem, etc.). On occasion you'll need to factor a cubic or quartic (if you're unlucky) polynomial and will need to know how to find the first couple linear factors

I'd also say the algebra of logarithms. That's what my Calc I students tend to forget the most.

Related to Are these all the algebra topics I need to know before starting calculus?

What is algebra and why is it important for calculus?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the manipulation of symbols and equations. It is important for calculus because it provides the foundation for understanding more complex mathematical concepts and equations used in calculus.

What are the basic algebra topics that I need to know before starting calculus?

Before starting calculus, it is important to have a good understanding of algebraic concepts such as solving equations, graphing linear and quadratic functions, and manipulating algebraic expressions.

Do I need to be proficient in all algebra topics to be successful in calculus?

While it is important to have a strong foundation in algebra, you do not need to be an expert in every algebra topic to be successful in calculus. However, it is recommended to have a solid understanding of the basics before starting calculus.

What happens if I am struggling with algebra while learning calculus?

If you are struggling with algebra while learning calculus, it is important to seek help from a tutor or instructor. Many colleges and universities offer tutoring services for students in math courses. It is also helpful to practice basic algebra skills on your own to strengthen your understanding.

Are there any resources available to help me review algebra topics before starting calculus?

Yes, there are plenty of resources available to help you review algebra topics before starting calculus. You can find online tutorials, practice problems, and study guides to help you refresh your algebra skills. Your school or local library may also have textbooks or workbooks specifically designed for reviewing algebra before calculus.