Are These Geometry Statements True or False?

• Thread starter PsychonautQQ
  • Start date
In summary, the statements discussed in this conversation revolve around the concepts of parallel and perpendicular lines and planes. Some of the key takeaways include the fact that two planes parallel to a third plane are also parallel, two lines either intersect or are parallel, and two planes perpendicular to a third plane are parallel. It is also true that two planes perpendicular to a line are parallel, but two planes parallel to a line are not necessarily parallel to each other. Additionally, two lines perpendicular to a plane are parallel, but two lines parallel to a plane are not necessarily parallel to each other. It is important to consider the direction vectors and normals of the lines and planes in order to determine their relationships.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

I only get one chance at getting these ALL right... Nazi teacher :P lol

1. Two planes parallel to a third plane are parallel.
True, planes take up a lot of space so this seems reasonable :P

2. Two lines either intersect or are parallel.
False, there is a lot of space for both of them i think

3. Two planes perpendicular to a third plane are parallel.
True Normal vectors perpendicular to a plane are parallel so I suspect this to be true

4. Two planes perpendicular to a line are parallel.
True, in my head I'm picturing a line on the xy axis. all the planes coming off of it are parallel.

5. A plane and a line either intersect or are parallel.
False, I'm imaging a line that is bound to the xy axis and a plane going past it without touching it.

6. Two lines perpendicular to a plane are parallel
True, picturing this in my head I believe they would have to be

7. Two planes either intersect or are parallel.
True, Planes are big and if they don't cross they must be parallel

8. Two lines parallel to a third line are parallel.
True, (a lot of my answers are true >.<) in my head it seems like they would have to be... i hope these explanations aren't too vague lol

9. Two lines perpendicular to a third line are parallel.
TRUE! they would be shooting off at the same direction...

10. Two planes parallel to a line are parallel.
idk... i want to say true again but i doubt all these are true

11. Two lines parallel to a plane are parallel.
False, I picture in my head a plane and then a line parallel to it on the xy axis and one on the zy axis

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
PsychonautQQ said:

Homework Statement

I only get one chance at getting these ALL right... Nazi teacher :P lol

1. Two planes parallel to a third plane are parallel.
True, planes take up a lot of space so this seems reasonable :P
Instead of a reason such as "planes take up a lot of space" think about the normals to the planes.
PsychonautQQ said:
2. Two lines either intersect or are parallel.
False, there is a lot of space for both of them i think
Presumably you're working in three-dimensional space. In the plane, lines either intersect or are parallel. In space, can you come up with an example of lines that don't intersect and aren't parallel?
PsychonautQQ said:
3. Two planes perpendicular to a third plane are parallel.
True Normal vectors perpendicular to a plane are parallel so I suspect this to be true
Again, think about normals to the planes.
PsychonautQQ said:
4. Two planes perpendicular to a line are parallel.
True, in my head I'm picturing a line on the xy axis. all the planes coming off of it are parallel.
There is no "xy" axis. Are you talking about the x-axis, y-axis, or x-y plane?
PsychonautQQ said:
5. A plane and a line either intersect or are parallel.
False, I'm imaging a line that is bound to the xy axis and a plane going past it without touching it.
A line in the x-y plane? How does the plane "go past" it? Can you describe what you're thinking more precisely?
PsychonautQQ said:
6. Two lines perpendicular to a plane are parallel
True, picturing this in my head I believe they would have to be
Think about direction vectors for the lines and a normal for the plane.
PsychonautQQ said:
7. Two planes either intersect or are parallel.
True, Planes are big and if they don't cross they must be parallel
Planes are "big"? In what sense? Your reason isn't very good.
PsychonautQQ said:
8. Two lines parallel to a third line are parallel.
True, (a lot of my answers are true >.<) in my head it seems like they would have to be... i hope these explanations aren't too vague lol
This and several others are very vague. T/F questions are pretty silly, IMO, as you can flip a coin and have a reasonable chance of getting the right answer. If you are graded on your reasoning, though, many of your reasons here would not get credit.
PsychonautQQ said:
9. Two lines perpendicular to a third line are parallel.
TRUE! they would be shooting off at the same direction...
No, this is false.
PsychonautQQ said:
10. Two planes parallel to a line are parallel.
idk... i want to say true again but i doubt all these are true
This is false. For example, the vector <0, 0, 1> is parallel to both the x-z plane and the y-z plane, but these two planes aren't parallel to each other.
PsychonautQQ said:
11. Two lines parallel to a plane are parallel.
False, I picture in my head a plane and then a line parallel to it on the xy axis and one on the zy axis
Again, there is no x-y axis nor is there a y-z axis. These are planes.
PsychonautQQ said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Related to Are These Geometry Statements True or False?

1. Is it better to have more true or false questions on a test?

It ultimately depends on the purpose of the test and the level of difficulty of the material being tested. In general, a balanced mix of true and false questions can provide a more accurate assessment of a student's knowledge.

2. Can true or false questions be considered valid and reliable?

Yes, true or false questions can be considered valid and reliable if they are well-written and align with the learning objectives. However, they may not be as effective in evaluating higher-order thinking skills compared to other types of questions.

3. Are true or false questions easier to answer than other types of questions?

It depends on the individual's knowledge of the topic. True or false questions can be easier for some individuals, while others may find them more challenging. A well-written true or false question should not be too obvious or ambiguous.

4. Can true or false questions be used to test conceptual understanding?

Yes, true or false questions can be used to test conceptual understanding, but they may not be as effective as other question types such as multiple choice or short answer questions. True or false questions generally assess factual knowledge rather than conceptual understanding.

5. How can I avoid guessing on true or false questions?

One way to avoid guessing on true or false questions is to carefully read the question and evaluate each statement independently. Pay attention to key words such as "always" or "never" which may make a statement false. Also, if you are unsure, it is often better to go with your initial instinct rather than changing your answer.