Are these Nuclear Reactions permitted?

In summary, the conversation discusses three nuclear reactions and the process of determining whether they are allowed. The conservation laws that must be satisfied for a reaction to be acceptable are mentioned, including baryon number, lepton number, charge, and quark flavor. The importance of considering the quark content of particles involved in a reaction is highlighted, as well as the need to consider energy conservation in all reference frames. The conversation ends with a list of conservation laws that are commonly used in these types of analyses.
Joshk80k
1. Homework Statement

Which of the following Nuclear Reactions are allowed?

A) e- + p --> [tex]\mu[/tex]- + p

B) n --> p + [tex]\pi[/tex]-

C) K- + p --> (anti)k0 + n

2. Homework Equations

While I don't know if there are any relevant equations, I know that there are several conservation laws that are required to make a reaction acceptable.

3. The Attempt at a Solution

A) e- + p --> [tex]\mu[/tex]- + p

I ran through a few conservation rules.

- I said that the Baryon number on each side was 1, so Baryon number is conserved.
- e- and mu are both leptons, so lepton number is conserved
- charge is conserved

On this problem I am leaning towards it being correct, but the reason I am hesitant to say so is because I am worried I am missing a conservation law somewhere.

B) n --> p + [tex]\pi[/tex]-

- Again, baryon number is conserved
- lepton number is conserved
- mesons don't require conservation
- the charge is conserved.

Again, I lean towards this being correct, but I am kind of worried about how a neutron results in the formation of a proton and pi- particle, for a number of different reasons. First, I've always associated the change of the charge of a nucleon with the release or absorption of an electron - I have never heard of a different lepton taking its place. Second, there is a really large mass discrepancy, but I think that might be solvable by the fact that the neutron could have a large kinetic energy and the p and pi- particles not moving as much.

C) K- + p --> (anti)k0 + n

-Baryon number is conserved
-Lepton number is conserved
-Charge is conserved

Am I over exaggerating in worrying that these reactions are not valid? I feel like there are too many pot-holes for a reaction to fall in, so I am really hesitant to give a definite answer.

Would anyone be able to steer me in the right direction if more conservation laws apply here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Good work so far, but you're right that you're missing a few conservation laws.

A) Not just total lepton number is conserved, but the number for each family of leptons is also individually conserved (except by neutrino oscillations). So electron number is itself conserved, muon number is conserved, and tau number is conserved.

B) Mesons don't require conservation, but their constituent quark flavors do. So when you have a reaction that involves hadrons (particles consisting of quarks), and it seems to satisfy other conservation laws, it's often a good idea to break the particles down into their quark content and see if you notice anything that doesn't add up there. Remember that quark-antiquark pairs can be created and can annihilate each other.

As far as the mass/energy thing, that's definitely important to think about. Remember that if energy is to be conserved, it has to be conserved in every reference frame - specifically including the center of mass frame.

C) This is another one where I would recommend checking the quark content.After enough practice with this sort of thing, you get used to remembering all the conservation laws. Off the top of my head, here are the ones I remember:
-Charge
-Energy/momentum
-Angular momentum
-6 quark flavors (up, down, strange, charm, bottom, top) [except in weak interactions]
-3 lepton families (electron, muon, tau) [except in neutrino oscillations]
-Parity
-C-parity
(the last two usually take care of themselves)

Related to Are these Nuclear Reactions permitted?

1. Are nuclear reactions allowed in all countries?

No, nuclear reactions are not permitted in all countries. Each country has its own laws and regulations regarding nuclear activities and some countries may have strict restrictions or even bans on certain nuclear reactions.

2. What safety measures are in place to prevent accidents during nuclear reactions?

There are multiple safety measures in place to prevent accidents during nuclear reactions. These include strict regulations and protocols for handling nuclear materials, regular inspections and maintenance of nuclear facilities, and emergency response plans in case of accidents. Additionally, there are strict training requirements for personnel involved in nuclear reactions to ensure they are properly prepared to handle any potential risks.

3. Are there any environmental risks associated with nuclear reactions?

Yes, there are potential environmental risks associated with nuclear reactions. Nuclear materials can be hazardous if not handled properly, and accidents or leaks can result in contamination of the environment. However, with proper safety measures in place, the risks can be minimized.

4. Are there any benefits to nuclear reactions?

Yes, there are several benefits to nuclear reactions. Nuclear energy is a reliable and efficient source of electricity, and it does not emit greenhouse gases, making it a cleaner alternative to fossil fuels. Additionally, nuclear reactions are used in medicine for diagnostic imaging and cancer treatment.

5. How are nuclear reactions regulated?

Nuclear reactions are regulated by both national and international organizations. In most countries, there are government agencies responsible for overseeing and regulating nuclear activities. Additionally, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) plays a crucial role in setting international standards and promoting the safe and peaceful use of nuclear energy.