Are These Statements Equivalent to the Negation of a Bounded Sequence?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Mathick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equivalence
In summary: To clarify, (a) and (c) are not equivalent to $notA$ because they do not capture the idea that there exists a value $C$ such that all terms of the sequence are larger than or equal to $C$. In (a), there exists only one term that satisfies this condition, while in (c) there are infinitely many terms but they may not all be greater than or equal to the same value $C$. On the other hand, (b) and (d) do capture this idea since they both state that for any chosen value $C$, there exists at least one term in the sequence that is larger than or equal to $C$.
Mathick
Let $A$ be the statement 'The sequence $(x_n)$ is bounded'. Use your mathematical intuition to decide which of the following statements are equivalent to $notA$. You don't need to give a justification.

(a) There exists $C > 0$ such that $\left| x_n \right| > C$ for some $n \in \Bbb{N}$.
(b) For all $C > 0$ there exists an index $n \in \Bbb{N}$ such that $\left| x_n \right| \ge C$.
(c) For infinitely many $n \in \Bbb{N}$ we have $\left| x_n \right| \ge n$.
(d) For all $C > 0$ there exist infinitely many terms of $(x_n)$ with $\left| x_n \right| > C$.

By definition of bounded sequence: $\exists \; C > 0 \quad \forall \; n \in \Bbb{N} \quad \left| x_n \right| \le C$

I know that negation is: $\forall \; C > 0 \quad \exists \; n \in \Bbb{N} \quad \left| x_n \right| > C$

So I think that all these statements are NOT equivalent to $notA$. But I am not sure. Can you help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathick said:
By definition of bounded sequence: $\exists \; C > 0 \quad \forall \; n \in \Bbb{N} \quad \left| x_n \right| \le C$

I know that negation is: $\forall \; C > 0 \quad \exists \; n \in \Bbb{N} \quad \left| x_n \right| > C$
How is this different from (b)? If you mean the difference is in $\ge$ vs $>$, then note that your statement of negation obviously implies (b). But suppose (b) holds and you want to prove
\[
\forall C > 0\;\exists n \in \Bbb{N}\; |x_n| > C.\qquad(*)
\]
Fix an arbitrary $C$ and feed $C+1$ to (b) (i.e., replace $C$ in (b) with $C+1$ where $C$ is the value you fixed). It will spit out some $n$ such that $|x_n|\ge C+1$. So $|x_n|>C$ for the same $n$.

It is also trivial that (d) implies (b) and (*). But if (b) holds and you want to prove (d), you fix an arbitrary $C$ and then instantiate the universally quantified $C$ in (b) with $C+1$, $C+2$, $C+3$ and so on. This way you get infinitely many sequence members that exceed $C$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
How is this different from (b)? If you mean the difference is in $\ge$ vs $>$, then note that your statement of negation obviously implies (b). But suppose (b) holds and you want to prove
\[
\forall C > 0\;\exists n \in \Bbb{N}\; |x_n| > C.\qquad(*)
\]
Fix an arbitrary $C$ and feed $C+1$ to (b) (i.e., replace $C$ in (b) with $C+1$ where $C$ is the value you fixed). It will spit out some $n$ such that $|x_n|\ge C+1$. So $|x_n|>C$ for the same $n$.

It is also trivial that (d) implies (b) and (*). But if (b) holds and you want to prove (d), you fix an arbitrary $C$ and then instantiate the universally quantified $C$ in (b) with $C+1$, $C+2$, $C+3$ and so on. This way you get infinitely many sequence members that exceed $C$.
So you claim that (b) and (d) are equivalent to $ notA $ and (a) and (c) are not, don't you?

Yes, I do.

Related to Are These Statements Equivalent to the Negation of a Bounded Sequence?

1. What is the concept of "equivalence of statements" in science?

The concept of "equivalence of statements" refers to the idea that two statements can have the same meaning or convey the same information, even if they are worded differently. In science, this means that different hypotheses or theories may be considered equivalent if they make the same predictions and have the same explanatory power.

2. How is equivalence of statements determined in science?

In science, equivalence of statements is determined through empirical testing and evidence-based reasoning. This involves conducting experiments or making observations to test the predictions of different statements and comparing the results. If the results are the same, the statements can be considered equivalent.

3. Can statements from different scientific fields be considered equivalent?

Yes, statements from different scientific fields can be considered equivalent if they make the same predictions and have the same explanatory power. This is because the scientific method is a universal approach to understanding the natural world, and the same principles and standards apply across all scientific disciplines.

4. What is the importance of understanding equivalence of statements in science?

Understanding equivalence of statements is important in science because it allows for the comparison and integration of different theories and hypotheses. It also helps scientists to identify and resolve contradictory or redundant statements, leading to a more comprehensive and accurate understanding of the natural world.

5. Can two contradictory statements be considered equivalent in science?

No, two contradictory statements cannot be considered equivalent in science. This is because they make conflicting predictions and cannot both be true at the same time. However, two statements may be considered equivalent if they are both true under different conditions or if one is a special case of the other.