Are these the best homemade chips ever?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    English
In summary: Sea salt has dead fish and fish poop in it. :yuck: Not to mention pollutants. I'll pay less for cleaner salt. :tongue:Sea salt has dead fish and fish poop in it. :yuck: Not to mention pollutants. I'll pay less for cleaner salt. :tongue:
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
First try to find some uniform baking potatoes, knobly ones are a pain to peel and get uniform chips out of without wasting a lot.
Cut the chips about a 1/4 inch thick, boil for about 5 mins, drain, refresh, leave to cool while
heating oil in roasting pan in 200 degree oven, put chips in heated oil and roast for half hour turning once half way through cooking.
When cooked sprinkle with smoked paprika sea salt and vingar.
These chips are the best ever, crisp on the outside and soft in the middle.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds yummy. I love potatoes, I'll give it a try this weekend.

Lard - you need lard.
smoked paprika sea salt ! (southerner)

lol...Brit FIGHT!

Sea salt has dead fish and fish poop in it. Not to mention pollutants.

I'll pay less for cleaner salt. :-p

Last edited:
Evo said:

I'll pay less for cleaner salt. :-p

ewww, are you sure?

are there worms there too? :-p

~christina~ said:
ewww, are you sure?

are there worms there too? :-p
Yes, most of the commercial sea salt comes from sea water that has been evaporated. While it's not harmful, it is full of crap. And yes, there are worms in there too. As soon as I saw that you had posted, I thought FISH WORMS!

mgb_phys said:
Lard - you need lard.
smoked paprika sea salt ! (southerner)

The fat used is important and (if) you can get the right spuds lard is best, the key is the right spud, one has little choice these days, this is why i started experimenting.
I promise my method will be ten fold better than deep fried.

As for the sea salt Evo, a few bits of worm are a bonus, i will eat some strange things, even cow cake (the pellets) are quite tasty if one is hungry.

Evo said:

Yum, added flavor! :approve:

I'm not sure what smoked paprika sea salt is though. Can you just mix smoked paprika AND sea salt?

wolram said:
The fat used is important and (if) you can get the right spuds lard is best, the key is the right spud, one has little choice these days, this is why i started experimenting.
I promise my method will be ten fold better than deep fried.
That method is how they showed the kettle fried commercial chips are made here. So you hit it right Wolram!

As for the sea salt Evo, a few bits of worm are a bonus, i will eat some strange things, even cow cake (the pellets) are quite tasty if one is hungry.
:rolleyes:

Related to Are these the best homemade chips ever?

What makes the perfect English chip?

The perfect English chip is a combination of the right potato, proper slicing technique, and precise cooking methods.

What type of potato is best for making chips?

The best potato for making chips is a high-starch, low-moisture potato such as Russet or Maris Piper.

What is the ideal thickness for a chip?

The ideal thickness for a chip is around 1/4 inch. This allows for a crispy outside and a fluffy inside.

What is the best cooking method for making perfect chips?

The best cooking method for making perfect chips is a two-step process: first frying at a lower temperature to cook the inside and then frying at a higher temperature to crisp up the outside.

How do you know when a chip is perfectly cooked?

A chip is perfectly cooked when it is golden brown and crispy on the outside, and soft and fluffy on the inside.