Are these the correct lewis structures

• Thread starter devanlevin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Structures
In summary, determining the correct Lewis structures involves correctly identifying the number of valence electrons for each element and arranging them to satisfy the octet rule. This means that each atom should have a full outer shell of electrons, except for hydrogen which only needs two. The correct Lewis structure should also reflect the formal charge of each atom, with the most stable structure having the lowest overall formal charge. Additionally, resonance structures can be used when there are multiple valid Lewis structures for a molecule. It is important to consider the overall charge and the electronegativity of each atom when determining the correct Lewis structure.
devanlevin
are these the correct lewis structures for these molecules??

http://picasaweb.google.com/devanlevin/DropBox?authkey=sbH95pBl_D8#5275619652409681410

also, if i have an ion for example Al[tex]^{3+}[/tex] what is its lewis structure, this ion is like noble gas Ne as far as valent electrons, so is its lewis structure just [Al][tex]^{3+}[/tex] , no dots or lines?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're right on the Al3+.

The other question, did you mean this picture below?
Untitled-1.jpg

Well, I am not very sure but they look okie to me!

I cannot accurately answer this question without seeing the Lewis structures in question. However, I can provide some general guidelines for creating Lewis structures.

Firstly, it is important to remember that Lewis structures are not the only way to represent molecules. They are simply a visual representation of the valence electrons and bonding in a molecule. Therefore, there may be more than one correct Lewis structure for a given molecule.

To determine the correct Lewis structure, you must first determine the total number of valence electrons in the molecule. This can be done by adding the valence electrons of each atom in the molecule.

Next, arrange the atoms in the molecule in a way that satisfies the octet rule, which states that atoms tend to gain, lose, or share electrons in order to achieve a full outer shell of eight electrons.

Then, place the valence electrons around the atoms in pairs, with a maximum of two electrons per orbital.

Finally, add any remaining electrons to the central atom as lone pairs.

If the total number of valence electrons is not evenly divided among the atoms, you may need to use double or triple bonds to achieve the octet rule.

As for your question about the Lewis structure of Al^{3+}, you are correct in assuming that it would be represented as [Al]^{3+}, as the ion has lost three valence electrons and now has a full outer shell.

In conclusion, without seeing the specific Lewis structures in question, I cannot confirm if they are correct or not. However, the guidelines provided above should help you determine the correct Lewis structure for any given molecule.

FAQ: Are these the correct lewis structures

1. What are Lewis structures?

Lewis structures are diagrams that show the bonding between atoms and the arrangement of valence electrons in a molecule.

2. Why are Lewis structures important?

Lewis structures help us understand how atoms are connected in a molecule and predict its properties, such as shape and polarity.

3. How do I determine if a Lewis structure is correct?

To determine if a Lewis structure is correct, you must follow the octet rule, which states that atoms tend to gain, lose, or share electrons in order to have a full outer shell of eight electrons. Additionally, the total number of valence electrons in the Lewis structure must equal the sum of the valence electrons of all the atoms in the molecule.

4. What do the lines and dots in a Lewis structure represent?

The lines in a Lewis structure represent covalent bonds, which are shared pairs of electrons between atoms. The dots represent valence electrons that are not involved in bonding.

5. Can there be multiple correct Lewis structures for a molecule?

Yes, there can be multiple correct Lewis structures for a molecule, especially for molecules with resonance. This means that the atoms can be arranged in different ways while still following the octet rule and having the same total number of valence electrons.