Are these two calculations of electrostatic force correct?

In summary, the conversation explores the topic of how much force it would take to push two uranium nuclei together and how much force would be required to separate all the electrons in a copper penny from the protons. The calculations show that the force needed for these actions is incredibly large, exceeding the weight of the earth and requiring centuries of human energy use. There is also discussion about using Coulomb's Law for the calculations and the difficulty of separating electrons from copper due to its small atomic radius.
Front Office
I was watching a show the other night about the Large Hadron Collider, and I got to wondering how much force it would take to push two uranium nuclei right up against each other. I figured it would be on the order of a thousandth, maybe a millionth of a pound, which seems like a lot, considering how small an atomic nucleus is.

Boy, was I surprised. IT'S NEARLY 2,000 LBS!

Can that be correct?

I assumed 92 protons per nucleus, each having a positive charge of 1.602x10^-19 coulombs. I assumed a distance between nuclear centers of 15 femtometers (15x10^-15 m). And I used Coulomb's Law for the force between charged objects.

Since I was on a role, I then calculated how much force it would take to separate all the electrons in a copper penny from all the protons, assuming all the positive and negative charges are arranged as penny-sized disks that are 1.55 millimeters apart, which is the thickness of a penny according to Wikipedia. Of course it would be impossible to do this experimentally. But assuming two penny-sized disks separated by 1.55 mm, THE FORCE OF ATTRACTION EXCEEDS THE WEIGHT OF THE EARTH!

That much force to separate the charges would, as I calculate it, would require an amount of energy on the order of two centuries of human energy use (at our current rate of ~13-trillion watts).

I must be making an error.

I assumed 3.5 grams for a copper penny, 100% copper, atomic number 29, and atomic weight 63.5. Used Coulomb's Law here also.

Physics news on Phys.org
Front Office said:
Since I was on a role, I then calculated how much force it would take to separate all the electrons in a copper penny from all the protons, assuming all the positive and negative charges are arranged as penny-sized disks that are 1.55 millimeters apart, which is the thickness of a penny according to Wikipedia. Of course it would be impossible to do this experimentally. But assuming two penny-sized disks separated by 1.55 mm, THE FORCE OF ATTRACTION EXCEEDS THE WEIGHT OF THE EARTH! ...

These 1.55 mm would not be the most difficult part of separating electrons from copper.
The atomic radius of copper is 130 pm, with is about 10-7 smaller, and therefore the force must be 10+14 larger.

Related to Are these two calculations of electrostatic force correct?

1. What is electrostatic force?

Electrostatic force is the force of attraction or repulsion between two charged objects due to their electric charges. It is caused by the interaction of electric fields created by the charges.

2. How is electrostatic force calculated?

Electrostatic force is calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. Are there any limitations to the calculation of electrostatic force?

Yes, Coulomb's Law assumes that the charges are point objects and that the medium between them is a vacuum. In reality, charges have finite size and the medium may affect the force.

4. Can electrostatic force be attractive and repulsive at the same time?

No, electrostatic force is always either attractive or repulsive, depending on the signs of the charges involved. Like charges (both positive or both negative) repel each other, while opposite charges (positive and negative) attract each other.

5. What are some real-world applications of electrostatic force?

Electrostatic force has many practical applications, such as in electrostatic precipitators used to remove pollutants from industrial exhaust, in inkjet printers to create electrically charged droplets that form the image on paper, and in Van de Graaff generators used for demonstrating high voltage electricity.