Are Units and Principal Ideals Related in Rings?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Poirot1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Units
In summary, the first conversation discusses whether or not the product of two elements being a unit in a ring implies that both elements are units. The second conversation proves that in an integral domain, if aR=bR, then a=bu for some unit u of R. However, the argument used in the first conversation only shows that if xy is a unit, then x has a right inverse, which is sufficient to show that x is a unit in a commutative ring, but not in a noncommutative ring. The second conversation also provides a counterexample in the ring of endomorphisms of an infinite sum of abelian groups.
Poirot1
Firstly, I have a question (irrevelant to the second one) which is: let x,y be in a ring such that xy is a unit. Does this imply that both x and y are units? I know that if one is a unit and the other is a non unit, then the product is a non unit but I was wondering if I could extend that.

Secondly, I wish to prove this: Let R be an integral domain and let a,b be in R. Then aR=bR iff a=bu for some unit u of R.

Physics news on Phys.org
Poirot said:
let x,y be in a ring such that xy is a unit. Does this imply that both x and y are units?

Hint: If $xy$ is a unit, then there exists $z\in R$ such that $(xy)z=1$, that is $x(yz)=1$ so ...

Secondly, I wish to prove this: Let R be an integral domain and let a,b be in R. Then aR=bR iff a=bu for some unit u of R.

Hint: If $aR=bR$, then there exists $u, v\in R$ such that $a=a\cdot 1=bu$ and $b=b\cdot 1=av.$ This implies $a(1-vu)=0.$ Now, use that $R$ is an integral domain.

Oh dear, the first one is actually pretty trivial isn't it.

Second proof: Suppose that aR=bR. Since a ∈ aR and b ∈ bR, a ∈ bR and b ∈aR. That is, a=bu and b=av for some u and v in R. Hence a=(av)u=a(vu). Now, if a is zero, then aR={0} so b= a=a.1=0 and the theorem is true. So assume a is non-zero so a=a(vu) implies vu=1. Hence u (and v) are units and we are done.

Conversly, suppose a=bu for some unit u of the ring. Then given ar ∈ aR, ar=(bu)r=b(ur) ∈ bR so aR is a subset of bR. Similarly, given br ∈ Br, $br=a(u^{-1}r) ∈aR$ so Br is a subset of aR and the proof is complete.

Fernando Revilla said:
Poirot said:
let x,y be in a ring such that xy is a unit. Does this imply that both x and y are units?

Hint: If $xy$ is a unit, then there exists $z\in R$ such that $(xy)z=1$, that is $x(yz)=1$ so ...
That argument shows that if $xy$ is a unit then $x$ has a right inverse. In a commutative ring, that is sufficient to show that $x$ is a unit. But in a noncommutative ring it is possible to have two non-units whose product is a unit.

The simplest example that I know of is in the ring of endomorphisms of an infinite sum of abelian groups. Take $G$ to be any nontrivial abelian group, with neutral element 0, and let $H = G\oplus G\oplus G\oplus \ldots.$ Let S be the "right shift" endomorphism on $H$, given by $S(g_1,g_2,g_3,\ldots) = (0,g_1,g_2,\ldots).$ Let T be the "left shift" endomorphism on $H$, given by $T(g_1,g_2,g_3,\ldots) = (g_2,g_3,g_4,\ldots).$ Then $TS$ is the identity map, but $ST$ is not invertible and neither $S$ nor $T$ is a unit.

Opalg said:
In a commutative ring, that is sufficient to show that $x$ is a unit.

Well, although I didn't mention it, I considered a commutative ring.

I consider rings to be commutative by definition.

Poirot said:
I consider rings to be commutative by definition.
Hmm, that is not part of the usual definition.

That article confirms there is no standard definition. Some people don't insist on an identity element for example.

Related to Are Units and Principal Ideals Related in Rings?

1. What are units in a ring?

Units in a ring are elements that have a multiplicative inverse, meaning that when multiplied by another element, they result in the identity element of the ring. In other words, units are elements that have a reciprocal, or a number that when multiplied by the element, equals 1.

2. How are principal ideals defined?

Principal ideals are defined as the set of all elements that can be generated by multiplying a single element in the ring by all other elements in the ring. This single element is known as the generator of the principal ideal.

3. Can a principal ideal contain more than one generator?

No, a principal ideal can only contain one generator. This is because if there were two generators, then any element in the ring could be generated by either one of the generators, making it not a principal ideal.

4. What is the difference between a unit and a principal ideal?

A unit is an element in a ring that has a multiplicative inverse, while a principal ideal is a set of elements that are generated by multiplying a single element in the ring by all other elements. In other words, a unit is a single element, while a principal ideal is a set of elements.

5. How can I determine if an element in a ring is a unit or not?

To determine if an element in a ring is a unit, you can check if it has a multiplicative inverse. This can be done by multiplying the element by all other elements in the ring and seeing if the product is equal to the identity element. If it is, then the element is a unit. Additionally, in a finite ring, all non-zero elements are units.