Are Virtual Particles Always the Same or Do They Vary in Our Universe?

• Thread starter Rorkster2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Virtual
In summary: The strong interaction is responsible for the radioactive decay of elements and the binding of protons and neutrons together in nuclei.
Rorkster2
Virtual particles or not only found spontaneously apearing in a vacuum, but also inside atoms via the strong force. My question is are these virtual particles always considered (as far as we know) the same, or do they come in documented/reasonably theorized variatys.

Any other examples of where virtual particles have a roll in our universe?

Physics news on Phys.org
Virtual particles are a method to describe (nearly all) interactions. Therefore, as soon as you have some interaction doing anything, you have virtual particles.
They are just like regular particles, but can violate the energy/momentum-relation.

mfb said:
Virtual particles are a method to describe (nearly all) interactions. Therefore, as soon as you have some interaction doing anything, you have virtual particles.
They are just like regular particles, but can violate the energy/momentum-relation.

So if I rub up against my wall somehow virtual particles are emmited? Or by 'interactions' do you mean strong/weak force, electromagnatism, and gravity? Can you please elaborate.

according to quantum field theory, you get virual particlee when a process undergoes, such as an electrons and positrons annhilating each other to create photons. the virtual particle maintains the energy conservation of the system, but the intermitent step (typically a connecting line in a fynmann diagram) that defines the virtal particle can have pretty much any energy (some like to put relativistic limits on it). but i only took a small intro/survey course to qft, so i could have this wrong.

i think of them more a a mathematical entity rather than an actual particle, hence the virtual.

there is a lot in qft that people try to create physical meaning for that they probably shouldnt.

Virtual particles are an artifact of a particular mathematical model. in the perturbation description of quantum theory these particles are the carriers of the interaction between real particles. They do not obey the usual rules. They can travel faster than c and they do not obey E^2 = pc^2 + (mc^2)^2. Whether they exist or not is a subject of much debate.

I suggest you read the physics FAQ for a complete discussion.

Virtual particles are an artifact of a particular mathematical model. in the perturbation description of quantum theory these particles are the carriers of the interaction between real particles. They do not obey the usual rules. They can travel faster than c and they do not obey E^2 = pc^2 + (mc^2)^2. Whether they exist or not is a subject of much debate.

I suggest you read the physics FAQ for a complete discussion.

Virtual electron-positron pairs, or the physics model they represent, produce the 27-MHz shift in the 1057-MHz Lamb shift in hydrogen, and very significant measurable energy shifts in muonic and pionic atoms. Whether or not virtual particles exist, they have a measurable effect.

Rorkster2 said:
So if I rub up against my wall somehow virtual particles are emmited? Or by 'interactions' do you mean strong/weak force, electromagnatism, and gravity? Can you please elaborate.
Emission of virtual particles does not make sense - by definition, virtual particles have to be created and annihilated in the described process.
In addition, virtual particles are a nice model to describe fundamental interactions, like the attraction between an electron and a proton. In contrast, if you want to describe macroscopic things, it is better to do this classical: with electromagnetic fields and so on.

"Interactions" in particle physics are the strong and the electroweak interaction (which contains the electromagnetic and the weak interaction in the low-energy limit).

FAQ: Are Virtual Particles Always the Same or Do They Vary in Our Universe?

1. What are virtual particles?

Virtual particles are particles that only exist for a very short period of time, typically less than a trillionth of a second. They are not considered to be physical particles, but rather mathematical constructs used to describe interactions between particles.

2. How are virtual particles different from real particles?

Real particles have mass and exist in the physical world, while virtual particles do not have mass and are not directly observable. Virtual particles also violate the conservation of energy and momentum, as they can appear out of nothing and quickly disappear.

3. What are the different types of virtual particles?

There are several types of virtual particles, including virtual photons, virtual gluons, and virtual W and Z bosons. These particles play a crucial role in the fundamental forces of nature, such as electromagnetism and the strong and weak nuclear forces.

4. How do virtual particles affect the universe?

Virtual particles are constantly popping in and out of existence in empty space, creating a background energy that affects the behavior of particles. They also play a role in quantum tunneling, which allows particles to pass through barriers that would normally be impenetrable.

5. Can virtual particles be observed?

No, virtual particles cannot be directly observed as they exist for such a short time and do not leave a lasting impact. However, their effects can be observed through high-energy particle collisions and other experiments in particle physics.