Are wisdom teeth important to get out?

In summary, some people can keep their wisdom teeth without any problems, while others may experience problems in the future.
Lancelot59 said:
Perhaps genetic engineering in the future will allow us to graft the gene that let's sharks re-grow their teeth into humans. That would be pretty good. Got a cavity? No problem, just pull it and let the new one grow in.

I don't think we have to use shark genes for that, if we can restart our own tooth growing mechanism that will be enough - and we have all genes already in place.

Physics news on Phys.org
True, we might not even need to do genetic modification. Just inject the right compounds to stimulate it.

Lancelot59 said:
True, we might not even need to do genetic modification. Just inject the right compounds to stimulate it.
If you want to stimulate something, there first needs to be something there to receive the stimulus and it also needs to be receptive to the stimulus. On the other hand, teratomas can develop teeth, so maybe it won't be impossible to grow new teeth in the lab from reprogrammed cells :smile: http://bjr.birjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/53/625/40

It doesn't contradict it, no. What it does so is provide evidence that your otherwise-unsupported opinion may be wrong.
So after 8 people, your 50% statistic is evidence that my opinion that you'll probably have a problem with wisdom teeth is wrong?

What if you came up with your statistic after only the first two posts? You'd have 100% statistic. Since your 50% statistic may prove me wrong because that 50% may stay constant throughout the entire population, would your 100% statistic do the same?
They could also be Kings of the Outer Planets, whose teeth are made of diamond.
Which would be just as likely as someone having overcrowding from wisdom teeth.
You can't invent conditions then base your conclusions on what ifs.
You came up with the 50% statistic to refute what I said. 50% of those people still have their wisdom teeth. I never said more than 50% will have them removed, I said you'll probably have PROBLEMS with them (so let's assume probably means more than 50%). Still having your teeth doesn't equal no problems, so you're basing your conclusion on an incomplete statistic.
It is a significantly better representation than is zero - by an order of magnitude or three .

I was the first one to say that my "evidence" is quite sketchy (n=8). Nonetheless, it's stronger than a mere opinion. It should be trivial to refute my little poll with stronger numbers.
I don't remember seeing you say anything about your evidence being sketchy.
I have a greater number of people than eight that I personally know who could be a better representation. But that's not proof, so I tried to find a statistic online that fits my specifications. It's not easy.

I picture you as one of those Geico cavemen who took offense to my neanderthal comment. I admit, it's most likely the difference in teeth size that affects it more so than people having gigantic mouths.
But I still firmly believe most people will have problems with their wisdom teeth, in one form or another.

leroyjenkens said:
So after 8 people, your 50% statistic is evidence that my opinion that you'll probably have a problem with wisdom teeth is wrong?
No. Just that it might benefit from more support.

leroyjenkens said:
What if you came up with your statistic after only the first two posts? You'd have 100% statistic. Since your 50% statistic may prove me wrong because that 50% may stay constant throughout the entire population, would your 100% statistic do the same?
n=2 would be really sketchy.

leroyjenkens said:
I don't remember seeing you say anything about your evidence being sketchy.
Well I'll be. You're right.

I wrote those words a half dozen times over several posts. I erased them before posting each time for the same reason: I assumed it was obvious that my evidence was nothing but an informal off-the-cuff poll and proportionately as valuable.

leroyjenkens said:
...I tried to find a statistic online that fits my specifications. It's not easy.
:approve:

leroyjenkens said:
I picture you as one of those Geico cavemen who took offense to my neanderthal comment. I admit, it's most likely the difference in teeth size that affects it more so than people having gigantic mouths.
But I still firmly believe most people will have problems with their wisdom teeth, in one form or another.
As do I. I've been splitting hairs.

Back