Are You More Productive at Night or in the Morning?

• Thread starter drizzle
  • Start date
In summary: I am so tired that I can sleep for 12 hours straight.I'm a night person. I have been since I was young. I used to stay up all night and watch late night talk shows and the episodes of MASH that they show in the middle of the night. It gave me some problems with school. For years now I have been working night shifts though which has made it a lot easier.I go to bed at 8pm and wake up at 2:30 am. I work from 4 am till 1pm. By Thursday, I am dead tired. I try not to nap, except on Fridays, so I can stay up late and sleep in on Saturday.In summary

When do you usually sleep?

• Total voters
drizzle
Gold Member
Family call me an owl, I almost stay awake all night long. I don’t find it fancy though, especially when I'm not sleeping regular hours, the headaches just comes and goes, it feels just :URGH:. Heh, I can imagine myself having a fight with my profs just to not give me classes in the morning. :biggrin: Need to get rid of this bad... habit I guess.

What about you PFers?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've never been a morning person. I had afternoon kindergarten, so that was ok, but when I started 1st grade, the sleep problems became an issue. I thought people were insane to force themselves to get up so early. I couldn't think straight until noon.

I usually sleep for more than one hour

I'm such a zombie in the morning, no amount coffee will keep me awake. From 11 pm to 2 am everything is so crystal clear. But unfortunately, the demands of the day require to wake up at 6 am, and go to sleep by 10 or 11 pm.

I used to be a night person, and hated mornings. I had bad insomnia, especially as a kid.

When I fixed my sleep issues, low and behold I became a morning person! I did just what the docs say to do: reduce caffeine (two cups a day, rarely after noon), go to sleep at the same time *every* night, no TV or reading in bed, no exercise or eating too soon before bedtime...those kind things.

Now I'm usually in bed by 9, up by 5. Even on weekends (though I do sleep in sometimes...until maybe 6:00 or 6:30).

lisab said:
I used to be a night person, and hated mornings. I had bad insomnia, especially as a kid.

When I fixed my sleep issues, low and behold I became a morning person! I did just what the docs say to do: reduce caffeine (two cups a day, rarely after noon), go to sleep at the same time *every* night, no TV or reading in bed, no exercise or eating too soon before bedtime...those kind things.

Now I'm usually in bed by 9, up by 5. Even on weekends (though I do sleep in sometimes...until maybe 6:00 or 6:30).
You're lucky. My insomnia has progressed to the point that I cannot sleep more than 3 hours without waking up, and that's very rare to get 3 hours. I've undergone 2 sleep studies and they don't know what causes it. One of the nights I was waking up every 19 minutes, on average. And I took a sleeping pill that night. It should have knocked me out.

And yes, I am suffering from severe sleep deprivation.

I'm a morning person.

I also have a loud coffee grinder, which makes mornings even more enjoyable.

BobG said:
I'm a morning person.

I also have a loud coffee grinder, which makes mornings even more enjoyable.

Mine grinds at approximately the volume of a jet engine .

Evo said:
You're lucky. My insomnia has progressed to the point that I cannot sleep more than 3 hours without waking up, and that's very rare to get 3 hours. I've undergone 2 sleep studies and they don't know what causes it. One of the nights I was waking up every 19 minutes, on average. And I took a sleeping pill that night. It should have knocked me out.

And yes, I am suffering from severe sleep deprivation.

How do you stay alive and manage to do anything :bugeye:

I get insomnias but whenever I don't get sleep of more than 7 hours, I get very tired, and manage to get a very good sleep the following night.

rootX said:
How do you stay alive and manage to do anything :bugeye:

I get insomnias but whenever I don't get sleep of more than 7 hours, I get very tired, and manage to get a very good sleep the following night.
I'm out on disability right now for sleep deprivation, it's literally killing me.

I am a night person. I have been since I was young. I used to stay up all night and watch late night talk shows and the episodes of MASH that they show in the middle of the night. It gave me some problems with school. For years now I have been working night shifts though which has made it a lot easier.

I go to bed at 8pm and wake up at 2:30 am. I work from 4 am till 1pm. By Thursday, I am dead tired. I try not to nap, except on Fridays, so I can stay up late and sleep in on Saturday.

I have worked this shift, for 2 years now. I would of thought I would be use to it by now. The only good thing about it is by the time I really become alert {8am} half my day is over.

I am night person but my parents instituted the need to go to sleep early very strictly. I did not know that the world exist beyond 8 PM until I reached 15-16. I believe I just wanted to rebellious and started sleeping late (to like 10 PM). When I moved to college, it extended to 11-12 AM. Within a year I realized I could stay up all night.

I usually go to bed between 1 am and 2 am. However I usually fall asleep between 3 and 4. When I have classes I'm so stressed (I've no idea why), I usually fall asleep between 4 am to 6 am. Last semester there were 2 days I couldn't sleep a single second, due to stress (no exam, no test, just a lab course).
It's so hard to sleep, now on vacations I wake up between 12 and 1 pm. I call this period morning.
Well now it's 2 am... and I'm not tired. I will study some complex analysis.

Sometimes I almost convince myself that I'm allergic to mornings.

hypatia said:
I go to bed at 8pm and wake up at 2:30 am. I work from 4 am till 1pm. By Thursday, I am dead tired. I try not to nap, except on Fridays, so I can stay up late and sleep in on Saturday.

I have worked this shift, for 2 years now. I would of thought I would be use to it by now. The only good thing about it is by the time I really become alert {8am} half my day is over.

This is actually very close to my schedule. I get up around 3:30 and am at work by 4:30. I'm usually eating lunch when everyone else is arriving. But, I get to leave around 1 or 2 in the afternoon.

Normally I go to bed around 3-4 but recently I've been going out with friends and not getting back home until that time. Which case I go to bed closer to 5-6. Actually the other day we were out until 6:30 so we went to McDonalds for breakfast to end our day.

I've worked the same job for 6 years, waking up at about 4 AM every day. I don't think humans are meant to wake up that early. I can get 9 hours of sleep, wake up at 4, then be tired halfway through the day. On days I wake up at 8 AM; I wake up without an alarm clock, only have to get about 6 hours of sleep to be fine for the whole day, and I'm not tired later. Humans are meant to go to sleep at night and wake up in the morning when the sun comes out.

I worked rotating shifts for 10 years in a pulp and paper mill - about half of the years on the Southern Swing (brutal!) and the later years working 12 hour rotating shifts, 3 days on and 3 days off. As a result of the discipline necessary to survive those, I can go to sleep about any time I want to, though I am a night-owl.

Evo said:
I think is not uncommon for people our age. I sleep, maybe 3 +/- 1 hours between 1-4 am (or 12-5 am). I usually start waking up between 4-5.

This past week, I was awake between 3-5:30, and usually, if it's after 5 am, I'll get up and start working. Work hours this past week were 0600 until 2000-2400.

There are days when I'm sleep deprived.

Creative people tend to be nocturnal. Night time is the best time for unobstructed thinking. I remember a quotation about this- "All the great theorems were discovered after midnight". Recently, I read about the great musician-composer A.R Rehman and found that he has adapted himself to work throught the night and goes to bed only at morning.

Regarding the magnitude of sleeping there's a quotation by Arun Sarin (ex-CEO Vodafone, iit alumnus)- "Sleeping is a waste of time".

Also mystics have similar views about sleeping - "Don't go to sleep, do your duty; You have lot of time to be asleep when you move on to the grave"

Hmmm...I normally go to sleep between 3 and 7 am, and I wake up between 10:30 and 12:30 am...even on my 7am days. Maybe I should select the last option lol/

*Yawn**stretch*...it's 10 minutes to 8:00, the sun hasn't set yet...I'm getting sleepy...

No way Lisab!

HeLiXe said:
No way Lisab!

oooh yeah...my bed is sooooo comfy...calling me now...

*says in spooky voice* stay with us...

I usually go to bed around 11 - 11:30 pm and get up around 5:30 - 6 am, weekends included. I work most productively and creatively before noon.

FAQ: Are You More Productive at Night or in the Morning?

1. What does it mean to be a "night person" or a "day person"?

Being a night or a day person refers to an individual's preference for staying up late and being more active during the night (night person) or waking up early and being more productive during the day (day person).

2. Is being a night or a day person determined by genetics?

Studies have shown that genetics can play a role in an individual's preference for staying up late or waking up early. However, it can also be influenced by external factors such as work or social obligations.

3. Can someone change from being a night person to a day person or vice versa?

Yes, it is possible for someone to change their sleeping patterns and become a night or day person. This can be achieved by gradually adjusting their sleep schedule and creating a consistent routine.

4. Are there any health implications for being a night or a day person?

Studies have shown that night owls (night people) may be at a higher risk for certain health issues such as obesity and depression. Day people, on the other hand, may have a lower risk for these issues but may experience more fatigue and stress due to early waking hours.

5. How can I determine if I am a night or a day person?

You can determine if you are a night or a day person by paying attention to your natural sleeping and waking patterns. If you naturally feel more alert and productive during the night, you may be a night person. If you feel more energized and productive during the day, you may be a day person.

Back