Area between two graphs as a sum

In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical problem involving the summation of squares. The equation for the summation is given, along with an attempt at a solution using the equation. However, there are some discrepancies in the solution, such as the factor of 2 in front and only considering n-1 terms. The conversation also addresses the area of interest and the total area on both sides of the y-axis. Corrections are made to the solution and the final result is determined to be 72.
Karol

Homework Statement

Snap1.jpg

Homework Equations

$$1^2+2^2+3^2+...+n^2=\frac{n(n+1)(2n+1)}{6}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

$$S_n=2\{[f_1(x_1)-f_2(x_1)]\Delta x+[f_1(x_2)-f_2(x_2)]\Delta x+...+[f_1(x_{n-1})-f_2(x_{n-1})]\Delta x\}$$
$$S_n=2\{[18-\Delta x^2-\Delta x^2]+[18-(2\Delta x)^2-(2\Delta x)^2]+...+[18-(n-1)^2\Delta x^2-(n-1)^2\Delta x^2]\}$$
$$S_n=2\{\Delta x[(n-1)18-2(1^2+2^2+...+(n-1)^2)\Delta x]\}$$
If i develop exactly according to the formula in the Relevant Equations then it's wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Three questions:
  1. Why the factor of 2 in front?
  2. Why only n-1 terms? Aren't there n rectangles?
  3. Did you take into account the fact that ##\Delta x## depends on ##n##?
Also, I think you dropped a factor of ##\Delta x## on the second term.

It would be nice to know what Eq7 is (perhaps it is your summation equation?). What is the area of interest? The two curves intersect at x = -3 and x = +3.
Yes as @vela mentioned, delta x would be equal to the total x range, divided by n.

I calculate only the right half and double the result.
vela said:
  1. Why the factor of 2 in front?
I calculate only the right half and double the result.
  1. Why only n-1 terms? Aren't there n rectangles?
Snap1.jpg
The rectangle at the last ##~\Delta x##, between x3 and x4 is a line, it has area 0, but if you wish...
$$\frac{1}{2}S_n=[18-\Delta x^2-\Delta x^2]+[18-(2\Delta x)^2-(2\Delta x)^2]+...+[18-(n\Delta x)^2-(n\Delta x)^2]$$
$$\Delta x=\frac{3}{n}$$
$$\frac{1}{2}S_n=\Delta x[18n-(1^2+2^2+...+n^2)]=...=\frac{9(n+\frac{1}{5})(n-\frac{1}{2})}{2n^2}~\rightarrow~\frac{9}{2}$$
While the area, on both sides of the y axis, totals to 104

Karol said:
$$\frac{1}{2}S_n=\Delta x[18n-(1^2+2^2+...+n^2)]=...=\frac{9(n+\frac{1}{5})(n-\frac{1}{2})}{2n^2}~\rightarrow~\frac{9}{2}$$
Your set-up (in the first post) is fine, but your expression for ##S_n## is wrong. All I can say is check your algebra.

While the area, on both sides of the y axis, totals to 104
You might want to recheck this value as well. I get 72.

$$\frac{1}{2}S_n=\Delta x[18n-2\Delta x^2(1^2+2^2+...+n^2)]=\frac{9}{n^2}(4n^2-3n-1)$$
Embarrassing but i don't know to solve it. the roots are 2 and -1/2 but when i substitute them ##~4n^2-3n-1\neq 0##
$$\int_{-3}^3 18-x^2-\int_{-3}^3 x^2=\int_{-3}^3 18=18x\vert _{-3}^3=18\cdot 6=104$$

Last edited:
Correction:
$$\frac{1}{2}S_n=\Delta x[18n-2\Delta x^2(1^2+2^2+...+n^2)]=\frac{9}{n^2}(4n^2-3n-1)=\frac{9}{n^2}4(x+\frac{1}{4})(x-1)$$
$$\frac{1}{2}S_n~\rightarrow~36, ~~S_n~\rightarrow~72$$
$$\int_{-3}^3 18-x^2-\int_{-3}^3 x^2=\int_{-3}^3 18-2x^2=72$$
Thank you Vela

Last edited:

Related to Area between two graphs as a sum

What is the area between two graphs as a sum?

The area between two graphs as a sum refers to the total amount of space that is enclosed between two graphs on a coordinate plane. This area is found by calculating the sum of the individual areas between the two graphs.

How is the area between two graphs as a sum calculated?

To calculate the area between two graphs as a sum, you first need to determine the points of intersection between the two graphs. Next, you can use the integral calculus method to find the area between the two graphs by taking the integral of the absolute value of the difference between the two functions.

What is the significance of finding the area between two graphs as a sum?

Finding the area between two graphs as a sum can provide valuable information about the relationship between the two functions. It can also be used to solve real-world problems, such as finding the total distance traveled by an object based on its velocity and acceleration.

Can the area between two graphs as a sum be negative?

Yes, the area between two graphs as a sum can be negative if the two graphs intersect in a way that one function is always above the other. In this case, the integral of the absolute value of the difference between the two functions will result in a negative value.

What are some practical applications of the concept of area between two graphs as a sum?

The concept of area between two graphs as a sum is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to calculate the work done by a force, determine the total profit in a business, or find the total energy expended by a moving object.