Area bounded by a curve's loop

In summary: The two branches join up at the origin, and the curve is symmetrical about the origin.In summary, the area bounded by the loop of the curve ##4y^2 = x^2(4-x^2)## is in sq. units 16/3. This can be found by converting the equation into polar coordinates and using the formula for finding the area of a polar region. Alternatively, the curve can be plotted or examined algebraically to determine its shape, which is a lemniscate.
Raghav Gupta

Homework Statement

The area bounded by the loop of the curve ## 4y^2 = x^2(4-x^2) ## is in sq. units
7/3
8/3
11/3
16/3

Homework Equations

NA

The Attempt at a Solution

By putting x = 0 and x = 2 I am getting y = 0.
Getting complex y values after x exceeds 2.
I am not getting where the loop would form
I am not allowed to use graphing calculator to see shape.
Is there any better way than plotting for concavity of function, to determine loop, or something else?

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by finding a polar representation of the given curve. You wind up with something like this:

$$r = f(\theta) = \sqrt{4\text{sec}^2(\theta) (1 - \text{tan}^2(\theta))}$$

Now you have a theorem which tells you the area of a polar region ##R## is given by:

$$\frac{1}{2} \int_a^b f^2(\theta) \space d \theta$$

HallsofIvy said:
The graph is a "lemniscate": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemniscate- it looks like a two lobed airplane propeller. I would put this into polar coordinates.
Zondrina said:
Start by finding a polar representation of the given curve. You wind up with something like this:

Now you have a theorem which tells you the area of a polar region ##R## is given by:

But you may have used graphing calculator to see the shape as a lemniscate.
How to know shape if you have not used the calculator?

Zondrina said:

I think for finding area once we know graph can easily do,
$$ \int_0^2 \sqrt{x^2(4-x^2)}dx $$

There are several ways to graph ##r = f(\theta)##. The one I usually use is to plot ##f(\theta)## in the Cartesian plane for several radial arguments. This will allow you to trace the graph in the ##r - \theta## plane and obtain the limits of integration. These are the limits for the theorem in post #3.

The theorem actually makes it quite easy to integrate in polar co-ordinates as well (which is what the exercise intended I believe). The substitution ##u = \text{tan}^2(\theta)## makes the rest easy.

Last edited:
Zondrina said:
There are several ways to graph ##r = f(\theta)##. The one I usually use is to plot ##f(\theta)## in the Cartesian plane for several radial arguments. This will allow you to trace the graph in the ##r - \theta## plane and obtain the limits of integration. These are the limits for the theorem in post #3.

The theorem actually makes it quite easy to integrate in polar co-ordinates as well (which is what the exercise intended I believe). The substitution ##u = \text{tan}^2(\theta)## makes the rest easy.

Yes, but the OP's alternative ##\int \sqrt{x^2(4-x^2)} \, dx = \int x \sqrt{4 - x^2} \, dx## is even easier.

Likes Raghav Gupta
Zondrina said:

I have not read that polar coordinate things till now.
Ray Vickson said:
Yes, but the OP's alternative ##\int \sqrt{x^2(4-x^2)} \, dx = \int x \sqrt{4 - x^2} \, dx## is even easier.
Can you tell me the answer for below quotation?
Raghav Gupta said:
But you may have used graphing calculator to see the shape as a lemniscate.
How to know shape if you have not used the calculator?

Raghav Gupta said:
I have not read that polar coordinate things till now.

Can you tell me the answer for below quotation?

See, eg., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemniscate . Click on the link to "Lemniscate of Gerono".

Ray Vickson said:
See, eg., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemniscate . Click on the link to "Lemniscate of Gerono".
But suppose we do not know these things.
Doing some basics. We have to find only area of any curve . For example here I found y value 0 when x is 0 and y value 0 when x is 2. I am getting complex number value when taking x value more than 2.
From this how I can arrive at shape?

Raghav Gupta said:
But suppose we do not know these things.
Doing some basics. We have to find only area of any curve . For example here I found y value 0 when x is 0 and y value 0 when x is 2. I am getting complex number value when taking x value more than 2.
From this how I can arrive at shape?

Plot the curve.

Do not tell me that you are not allowed to plot things; of course you are---you just cannot turn in the plot as a final solution for mark! Nobody can stop you from making plots in the privacy of your own room. The plot does not have to be very accurate; it is enough that it supplies a rough idea of the shape.

Alternatively: to see what ##y = c x \sqrt{4 - x^2}## looks like look at ##y^2 = c^2 x^2(4-x^2)##. As a function of ##t = x^2##, the rhs is ##c^2 t(4-t)##, which rises from 0 at ##t = 0## to a maximum at ##t = 2## and then falls to 0 again at ##t = 4##. So ##y^2## rises fro 0 to a maximum at ##x = \sqrt{2}##, then falls to 0 again at ##x = 2##. Wherever ##y^2## is rising, so is ##y##, and wherever ##y^2## is falling, so is ##y##. Therefore, ##y## rises from 0 to a maximum at ##x = \sqrt{2}## then falls to zero again.

The lower branch ##y = - c x \sqrt{4 - x^2}## falls from 0 to a minimum then rises again to 0.

Likes Raghav Gupta
Really though, polar co-ordinates might help you plot this easier. You shouldn't be lazy about doing plots, they are tedious, but a necessity.

A picture is worth a million words.

Speaking of pictures, maybe this one will help you understand what I meant in post #6:

Screen Shot 2015-04-27 at 4.49.32 PM.png

The function ##r = f(\theta)## might look simpler, but the procedure is the same.

Thanks Zondrina, Ray, Halls although Zondrina I don't know anything about polar coordinate system.
In school level I suppose it is not taught.

Raghav Gupta said:
I don't know anything about polar coordinate system.
In school level I suppose it is not taught.
It is usually taught in high school. Maybe your teacher thought it was too obvious to mention. See here.
[EDIT:- you just need to know what ##r## and ##\theta## (and ##\phi## if your working in 3 dimensions) are, that's all there is to it really.]

certainly said:
It is usually taught in high school. Maybe your teacher thought it was too obvious to mention. See here.
[EDIT:- you just need to know what ##r## and ##\theta## (and ##\phi## if your working in 3 dimensions) are, that's all there is to it really.]
What is the use of polar coordinates when we can do the thing of post 5 easily?

Raghav Gupta said:
What is the use of polar coordinates when we can do the thing of post 5 easily?
Nothing. But polar coordinates become extremely useful when you try to describe curves like cycloids and trochoids. A lot of their properties become a lot easier to prove, describe and visualize in polar coordinates. I'm not sure what level you're at, but the 4th chapter of Courant's analysis book has an excellent section on the theory of plane curves. If you read it, the use of polar coordinates will become immediately clear.

Likes Raghav Gupta

Related to Area bounded by a curve's loop

1. What is the area bounded by a curve's loop?

The area bounded by a curve's loop is the total amount of space enclosed within the loop of a curve on a graph. This area can be calculated by finding the integral of the function that represents the curve over the bounds of the loop.

2. How do you find the area bounded by a curve's loop?

To find the area bounded by a curve's loop, you can use the integral calculus method. This involves finding the integral of the function that represents the curve over the bounds of the loop. Alternatively, you can also use geometric methods, such as dividing the loop into smaller shapes like rectangles or triangles and finding their individual areas, then adding them together to get the total area.

3. Can the area bounded by a curve's loop be negative?

Yes, the area bounded by a curve's loop can be negative. This happens when the curve is below the x-axis, resulting in a negative value for the integral. In this case, the area is considered to be negative because it is below the x-axis, but the magnitude of the area is still the same as it would be if it were above the x-axis.

4. How does the shape of the curve's loop affect the area bounded by it?

The shape of the curve's loop can greatly affect the area bounded by it. A larger loop or a loop with a greater amplitude will result in a larger area, while a smaller loop or a loop with a smaller amplitude will result in a smaller area. The shape of the loop can also impact the complexity of calculating the area, as more complex shapes may require more advanced mathematical methods.

5. What are some real-life applications of finding the area bounded by a curve's loop?

Finding the area bounded by a curve's loop has many real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in physics, this calculation is used to determine the work done by a force on an object, while in engineering, it is used to calculate the moment of inertia of objects. In economics, finding the area bounded by a demand or supply curve can help determine the total revenue or cost for a product or service.