Area Definition & Proving Rectangle Area

• Thread starter Avichal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of area and how it is derived from the concept of a square with unit length. The concept of area is then extended to other shapes, such as rectangles, by multiplying two sides. The conversation also touches on the idea of higher dimensions and how the concept of area can be extended to those dimensions.
Avichal
As far as i know a 1m by 1m square is defined to have 1 area unit. Following this definition or axiom how do you prove than area of rectangle is length multiplied by breadth?
Or is there another axiom that i don't know?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I assume you have not studied integration. Here's an idea to obtain area of rectangle given knowledge of the area of a square.

Let the rectangle be of length l and breadth b.
1. Produce a square of edge l with one edge as the rectangle's one arm.
2. Produce a square of edge b with one edge as the rectangle's one arm.
3. Complete the square with edge (l+b). You will notice another rectangle in the square of the same size as the one you started with.
4. Area of (l+b)-edged square = area of rectangle + are of b-edged square + area of l-edged square + area of rectangle.

You are getting stuck in the very definition of area. The area of a rectangle is defined to be the product of two sides, because it matches our intuition.

Ok so area of rectangle is defined as such, but why product of length and breadth? I think there is some definition of area from which we can derive the area of all other things - if someone can just state the correct definition and derive the area of rectangle it would satisfy me.

Avichal said:
Ok so area of rectangle is defined as such, but why product of length and breadth?
Because we've defined the unit of area as being a square with unit length, and it just so turns out that rectangles have the same property with squares which is that their sides are also perpendicular to each other.

Avichal said:
I think there is some definition of area from which we can derive the area of all other things - if someone can just state the correct definition and derive the area of rectangle it would satisfy me.
I'm not sure what you're trying to ask.
I believe we could have also defined 1 unit area as being the area occupied by a circle with radius 1 unit (which we would could call 1 unit circled as opposed to pi units squared) but there are many reasons why we haven't done this. One of the most important reasons is that circles don't tessellate.

Thank you - i am crystal clear now

Avichal said:
Ok so area of rectangle is defined as such, but why product of length and breadth? I think there is some definition of area from which we can derive the area of all other things - if someone can just state the correct definition and derive the area of rectangle it would satisfy me.

Let me try to answer this from a slightly different perspective. A line is one-dimensional, right? So you can give it a value (how long it is). Then move on to 2 dimensions, you probably know new space dimensions extends out perpendicular to the other existing dimensions. Area is 2 dimensional, so besides taking the value in the existing dimension, you must multiply it by the value of the new dimension.

Using the same intuition, we can move to higher dimensions. For volume (3D), you multiply the existing dimensions (area), by the new dimension, height. Even higher dimensions may be harder to visualise, but the mechanics remain the same.

Basically, area is the amount of space inside a 2-d object. :smile:

I found this site interesting with clearly explained solved examples: http://www.swiftutors.com/math/cone.php

Related to Area Definition & Proving Rectangle Area

1. What is a rectangle?

A rectangle is a geometric shape with four sides and four angles. It is defined as a quadrilateral with two pairs of equal and parallel sides, and all angles measuring 90 degrees.

2. How do you define the area of a rectangle?

The area of a rectangle is the measure of the surface inside the shape. It is calculated by multiplying the length and width of the rectangle.

3. Can you prove the formula for finding the area of a rectangle?

Yes, the formula for the area of a rectangle can be proven using basic geometry principles. By dividing a rectangle into smaller, congruent rectangles and rearranging them, it can be shown that the area is equal to the length times the width.

4. What is the unit of measurement for the area of a rectangle?

The unit of measurement for the area of a rectangle is square units, such as square inches, square feet, or square meters.

5. How can the area of a rectangle be used in real-life scenarios?

The concept of area is used in various real-life scenarios, such as calculating the amount of flooring or wallpaper needed for a room, determining the amount of paint needed to cover a wall, or finding the size of a garden or lawn. It is also used in more advanced applications, such as in architecture and engineering, for designing and constructing buildings and structures.