Area enclosed between two graphs

In summary: This is not the same as the function ##\sqrt{x^2}##. In summary, the conversation discusses finding the total area enclosed between two curves, specifically g(x) and √(x^2). The suggested method is to differentiate g(x) by using the formula √(x+2)^√(x+2) and then plot the resulting function to determine the points of intersection. The conversation also clarifies that √(x^2) is not the same as the absolute value function |x|.
Saracen Rue

Homework Statement

f(x) = √(x+2), g(x) = d/dx (f(x))^(f(x)). Find the total area enclosed between g(x) and √(x^2) correct to 3 decimal places.

Homework Equations

Knowledge of differentiation and integration - specifically areas between curves.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've attempted to solve g(x) = √(x^2) on my calculator but I keep receiving an error message. I've defined f(x) as equaling √(x+2), and I don't see where I could be going wrong. I know after I've found the points of intersection, all I need to do is set up definite integrals over the relevant domains with the graph on bottom over said domains being subtracted from the graph on top.

Physics news on Phys.org
Saracen Rue said:
I've attempted to solve g(x) = √(x^2) on my calculator but I keep receiving an error message.
It would be better to, instead of using a calculator, derive an explicit formula for g(x) by differentiating ##f(x)^{f(x)}##. It's a bit messy, but quite manageable. Then you can plot that function and it'll be fairly easy to see approximately where it must intersect ##\sqrt{x^2}##.

By the way, what is a simplified way to write ##\sqrt{x^2}##?

andrewkirk said:
It would be better to, instead of using a calculator, derive an explicit formula for g(x) by differentiating ##f(x)^{f(x)}##. It's a bit messy, but quite manageable. Then you can plot that function and it'll be fairly easy to see approximately where it must intersect ##\sqrt{x^2}##.

By the way, what is a simplified way to write ##\sqrt{x^2}##?

Ah thank you for the advice. The square root of x squared simplifies to x, but the rule ##\sqrt{x^2}## sketches a distinctive graph due to the fact you must square x before square rooting it - this means y cannot be a negative number. Here's a picture to show you.

upload_2016-6-15_9-27-57.png

Good. Now try to differentiate ##\sqrt{(x+2)}^{\sqrt{x+2}}## to get a formula for the function ##g##.
It may help to first re-write it as ##e^{(x+2)^\frac12\cdot \frac12 \log(x+2)}##
You should get a function that is near zero at x=0 and asymptotically approaches zero from above as it heads left, and which then increases in a concave-up curve to the right. By roughly drawing this against the graph above you should be able to see how many times the two curves cross, and approximately where.

Saracen Rue said:
Ah thank you for the advice. The square root of x squared simplifies to x, but the rule ##\sqrt{x^2}## sketches a distinctive graph due to the fact you must square x before square rooting it - this means y cannot be a negative number.
No, that's not why. ##\sqrt{x^2} = |x|##, the absolute value of x. If what you said was true -- that ##\sqrt{x^2}## simplifies to x, the graph would be a straight line through the origin, with a slope of 1.

Saracen Rue said:
Ah thank you for the advice. The square root of x squared simplifies to x, but the rule ##\sqrt{x^2}## sketches a distinctive graph due to the fact you must square x before square rooting it - this means y cannot be a negative number. Here's a picture to show you.

View attachment 102060

You have just drawn a graph of the absolute-value function |x|.

Related to Area enclosed between two graphs

What is the "area enclosed between two graphs"?

The "area enclosed between two graphs" is the region that is bounded by two different graphs on a coordinate plane. It is the space that is contained within both graphs and the x and y-axes.

How do you calculate the area enclosed between two graphs?

To calculate the area enclosed between two graphs, you first need to determine the points of intersection between the two graphs. Then, use the formula for the area of a trapezoid (A = (1/2)(b1 + b2)h) to find the area of each individual trapezoid formed by the intersection points. Finally, add up the areas of all the trapezoids to find the total area enclosed between the two graphs.

What is the significance of finding the area enclosed between two graphs?

The area enclosed between two graphs can have various applications in different fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can represent the total displacement, velocity, or profit in a given scenario, depending on the context of the graphs.

Can the area enclosed between two graphs be negative?

Yes, the area enclosed between two graphs can be negative. This can occur when the graphs intersect in such a way that the resulting trapezoids have a negative area. In this case, the negative area represents a decrease or loss in the quantity being measured.

What are some real-life examples of finding the area enclosed between two graphs?

Real-life examples of finding the area enclosed between two graphs include calculating the profit of a business over time, determining the displacement of an object moving at varying speeds, and analyzing the changes in the stock market over a period of time.