Area in polar coordinate using multiple integral

In summary: Look at the picture! For a given value of ##\theta##, ##r## starts at ##r = 0## and ends at ##r = 2a \cos(\theta)##.
ahmed markhoos
The question is to find the area of a disk, r ≤ 2a×cos(θ)
as in the figure "example-just an illustration"

yvLb1.png
I used two methods, each gave different wrong answers

- integrate 2a×cos(θ) dθ dr - from θ=0 to θ=π/2 and from r=2a to r=2a×cos(θ) ; then I simply multiplied the answer by 2.

- integrate 2a×cos(θ) dθ dr - from θ=0 to θ=2π and from r=2a to r=2a×cos(θ)

I was hopping to get the right answer using the first method, but surprisingly it didn't work, integration seems to be fine I even used wolfram to check it.

-----------------

I have another small question. I had a question about finding the volume of flipped cone "its point in the origin and its shape is in the positive side of z-axis", its height is the same as its base radius so that, r=h z=h, thus r=z
"example-just an illustration"

http://01.edu-cdn.com/files/static/mcgrawhillprof/9780071624756/INVERTED_CONE_WATER_TANK_PROBLEM_01.GIF

thing is, when I put the limits say : r=0 ⇒ h //// z=0 ⇒ r //// θ=0 ⇒ 2π . It give wrong answer

but r=0 ⇒ z //// z=0 ⇒ h //// θ=0 ⇒ 2π . give the right one

that's really confusing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ahmed markhoos said:
The question is to find the area of a disk, r ≤ 2a×cos(θ)
as in the figure "example-just an illustration"

yvLb1.png
I used two methods, each gave different wrong answers

- integrate 2a×cos(θ) dθ dr - from θ=0 to θ=π/2 and from r=2a to r=2a×cos(θ) ; then I simply multiplied the answer by 2.

- integrate 2a×cos(θ) dθ dr - from θ=0 to θ=2π and from r=2a to r=2a×cos(θ)

I was hopping to get the right answer using the first method, but surprisingly it didn't work, integration seems to be fine I even used wolfram to check it.
I have another small question. I had a question about finding the volume of flipped cone "its point in the origin and its shape is in the positive side of z-axis", its height is the same as its base radius so that, r=h z=h, thus r=z
"example-just an illustration"

http://01.edu-cdn.com/files/static/mcgrawhillprof/9780071624756/INVERTED_CONE_WATER_TANK_PROBLEM_01.GIF

thing is, when I put the limits say : r=0 ⇒ h //// z=0 ⇒ r //// θ=0 ⇒ 2π . It give wrong answer

but r=0 ⇒ z //// z=0 ⇒ h //// θ=0 ⇒ 2π . give the right one

that's really confusing!

In polar coordinates the area element is ##dA = r \, dr \, d \theta##. To get the area inside the curve ##r = 2a \cos(\theta)## we need to integrate ##dA## for ##r =0 \to 2 a \cos(\theta)## and for ##\theta = 0 \to \pi/2##, then multiply the result by 2 (or integrate for ##\theta = -\pi/2 \to \pi/2##).

The boundary curve ##r = 2a \cos(\theta)## has a simple form when expressed in cartesian coordinates---looking at the plot suggests what it should be. From the resulting form one can easily determine the interior area with essentially no work.

Ray Vickson said:
In polar coordinates the area element is ##dA = r \, dr \, d \theta##. To get the area inside the curve ##r = 2a \cos(\theta)## we need to integrate ##dA## for ##r =0 \to 2 a \cos(\theta)## and for ##\theta = 0 \to \pi/2##, then multiply the result by 2 (or integrate for ##\theta = -\pi/2 \to \pi/2##).

The boundary curve ##r = 2a \cos(\theta)## has a simple form when expressed in cartesian coordinates---looking at the plot suggests what it should be. From the resulting form one can easily determine the interior area with essentially no work.

we begin at ##θ=0##, why should ##r=0## ?, logicaly ##r=2acosθ## give us ##r=2a## !
the thing is, ##r## is the distance between the point and the origin and ##θ## is the angle between r and x-axis !

I don't know how did you do it but! the limits you suggest were wrong "both limit from ##-π/2## to ##π/2## and ##0## to ##π/2## multiplied by ## 2##" give an answer of## = 2πa^2##, which is double the area we expect.

Thank you.

ahmed markhoos said:
we begin at ##θ=0##, why should ##r=0## ?, logicaly ##r=2acosθ## give us ##r=2a## !
the thing is, ##r## is the distance between the point and the origin and ##θ## is the angle between r and x-axis !

I don't know how did you do it but! the limits you suggest were wrong "both limit from ##-π/2## to ##π/2## and ##0## to ##π/2## multiplied by ## 2##" give an answer of## = 2πa^2##, which is double the area we expect.

Thank you.

Look at the picture! For a given value of ##\theta##, ##r## starts at ##r = 0## and ends at ##r = 2a \cos(\theta)##.

My limits are not wrong, and when I do the integration I get an area of exactly ##2 \times \pi a^2/2 = \pi a^2## in the ##0 \to \pi/2## case and ##\pi a^2## directly in the ##-\pi/2 \to \pi/2## case. Yes, I have done the integrations, and that is what I get!

Please re-read what I said in post #2. There I told you exactly what integrations I performed, and they are not at all the same as the ones you did.

but the computer gave me solutions different than yours
look

http://im50.gulfup.com/rtRHjt.png

http://im50.gulfup.com/lL8Idy.png

ahmed markhoos said:
but the computer gave me solutions different than yours
look

http://im50.gulfup.com/rtRHjt.png

http://im50.gulfup.com/lL8Idy.png
Those are not the correct integrals; they do not represent the area you want. Again: re-read (carefully!) what I wrote; or else, look up the topic in a book or via Google.

Likes ahmed markhoos
Ray Vickson said:
Those are not the correct integrals; they do not represent the area you want. Again: re-read (carefully!) what I wrote; or else, look up the topic in a book or via Google.

Got it!, thank you. But can I ask another question ?

why can't I substitute ##r=2a cos(θ)## in the integral?, I did it because it seems reasonable in an integral. I mean since r depend on θ, then I can't integrate ##2a cos(θ)## which is in ##r## with respect to r because it contain a constant!. All that doesn't matter, still the question is why I can't substitute with the value of r ?

is it because the disk is represented by ##r ≤ 2a cos(θ)## ??

Last edited:
ahmed markhoos said:
Got it!, thank you. But can I ask another question ?

why can't I substitute ##r=2a cos(θ)## in the integral?, I did it because it seems reasonable in an integral. I mean since r depend on θ, then I can't integrate ##2a cos(θ)## which is in ##r## with respect to r because it contain a constant!. All that doesn't matter, still the question is why I can't substitute with the value of r ?

is it because the disk is represented by ##r ≤ 2a cos(θ)## ??

Basically, yes.

I did suggest you look up the topic in Google. Have you done that? You should; there are several nice articles with derivations, diagrams, worked examples, etc. All your questions will be answered there.

Likes ahmed markhoos

Related to Area in polar coordinate using multiple integral

What is the formula for calculating the area in polar coordinates using multiple integrals?

The formula for calculating the area in polar coordinates using multiple integrals is given by A = ∫∫D r dr dθ, where D is the region in the polar coordinate plane and r and θ are the polar coordinates.

Can the area in polar coordinates be calculated using a single integral?

No, the area in polar coordinates cannot be calculated using a single integral. Multiple integrals are required to calculate the area as the region in the polar coordinate plane is not a simple shape like a rectangle or triangle.

What is the difference between calculating the area in Cartesian coordinates and polar coordinates?

The main difference between calculating the area in Cartesian coordinates and polar coordinates is the use of different coordinate systems. In Cartesian coordinates, the area is calculated using a double integral, while in polar coordinates, a multiple integral with polar coordinates is used.

How do we determine the limits of integration when calculating the area in polar coordinates?

The limits of integration when calculating the area in polar coordinates depend on the shape and size of the region in the polar coordinate plane. These limits can be determined by drawing a diagram of the region and identifying the boundaries in terms of polar coordinates.

Can the concept of multiple integrals be applied to other coordinate systems?

Yes, the concept of multiple integrals can be applied to other coordinate systems such as cylindrical and spherical coordinates. The main idea is to divide the region into small elements and sum up the areas of these elements using multiple integrals.