Area of a Bounded Region: Calculation Examples

• MHB
  • Thread starter paulmdrdo1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, the area of a bounded region can be calculated using the formula A = ∫[a,b] f(x)dx, where a and b are the boundaries of the region and f(x) is the function that defines the boundary. An example of calculating the area of a bounded region is finding the area between the x-axis, the line y = x, and the line y = x^2. If the bounded region has curves instead of straight lines, the same formula can be used but may require breaking the region into smaller sections. Negative areas can also occur and can be handled by taking the absolute value or breaking up the region and subtracting negative areas from positive areas. Real-world applications of calculating the area of bounded regions
paulmdrdo1
just want to check if my solutions were correct..

1. find the area of the bounded region by the curve y=9-x^2 and the x-axis.

soln.
$\displaystyle 9-x^2=0$ the roots or points of intersection are x=3,-3

calculating
$\displaystyle\int_{-3}^3 (9-x^2)dx$ = $\displaystyle \left[9x-\frac{x^3}{3}\right]_{-3}^3$

my answer is 36 sq. units.

2. find the area bounded by ln(x) and x-axis with x=2 and x=4.

soln.

$\displaystyle \int_{2}^4 ln(x)dx=\left[xlnx-x\right]_{2}^4$

my answer is 2.158 sq. units

3. find the area bounded by sin(x), x-axis, x=(1/3)pi, x=(2/3)pi

$\displaystyle\int_{\frac{1}{3}\pi}^{\frac{2}{3} \pi}\sin(x)dx=[-\cos(x)]_{\frac{1}{3}\pi}^{\frac{2}{3} \pi}$

my answer is 1 sq. units

Physics news on Phys.org
1.) Correct. You could use the even-function rule to make your calculation a bit simpler:

\(\displaystyle A=2\int_0^3 9-x^2\,dx\)

2.) You have rounded incorrectly (to 3 decimal places it is 2.159). I would instead write the exact result as:

\(\displaystyle A=2\left(3\ln(2)-1 \right)\)

or

\(\displaystyle A=2\ln\left(\frac{8}{e} \right)\)

3.) Correct.

In the future, please limit a topic to no more than two questions, and if you are just trying to see if you have integrated correctly (assuming you have set up the correct integral to solve the given problem), then I recommend either Wolfram|Alpha: Computational Knowledge Engine or one of our widgets. :D

If you are instead curious if you have set up the integral correctly, then by all means we encourage you to ask here. (Sun)

FAQ: Area of a Bounded Region: Calculation Examples

1. How do you calculate the area of a bounded region?

The area of a bounded region can be calculated using the formula A = ∫[a,b] f(x)dx, where a and b are the boundaries of the region and f(x) is the function that defines the boundary.

2. Can you provide an example of calculating the area of a bounded region?

Yes, for example, if we have the bounded region between the x-axis, the line y = x, and the line y = x^2, the area can be calculated as A = ∫[0,1] (x^2 - x)dx = 1/3 square units.

3. What if the bounded region has curves instead of straight lines?

The formula for calculating the area of a bounded region can still be used, but you may need to break up the region into smaller sections and calculate the area for each section separately. Then, you can add up the areas to find the total bounded region.

4. How do you handle negative areas in bounded regions?

Negative areas in bounded regions can occur when the function defining the boundary dips below the x-axis. In this case, the area can be calculated as the absolute value of the integral, or you can break up the region into smaller sections and subtract the negative areas from the positive areas.

5. Are there any real-world applications of calculating the area of bounded regions?

Yes, calculating the area of bounded regions is often used in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics to determine quantities such as volumes, work done, and profits. For example, the area under a velocity-time graph can be used to calculate the distance traveled by an object.