Area of A Box Containing Only One Point

In summary, the question is to find the largest rectangular box that can be centered at the origin and contains only the single point at the origin. After trying some cases, it is found that the largest box has an area of 4ab regardless of its tilt or shape. This follows from a general theorem called Minkowski's theorem on convex bodies, which states that any convex and symmetric region with a volume greater than four times the volume of the fundamental parallelotope of a lattice contains at least one lattice point. Therefore, the largest box must have a volume of at least 4 times the volume of the fundamental parallelotope, which is 4ab. This problem arose in the context of synthetic aperture radar imaging.
marcusl
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Imagine a rectangular grid of points with spacing (a,b) along the x and y directions, respectively, starting at the origin and filling all four quadrants. Center a rectangular box on the origin. The question is: what is the box of largest area that contains only the single point at the origin? The sides of the box can just touch other points, but no other point can be in its interior.

Trying some cases, I find:
a) trivially, the largest box whose sides are parallel to x and y has area A = 4ab.
b) if the box is tilted so its end touches a point on the line x = a (and, of course, the other end touches the mirror symmetric point at x = -a), the largest area is A = 4ab regardless of tilt.
c) if the box is long and skinny so it passes between two of the points located on the line x=a (and corresponding points on x=-a), A=4ab.

Well it looks like there's a pattern! Does anyone know of a general theorem?

This problem came up in the context of synthetic aperture radar imaging.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
To start, I imagine you can assume the spacing is (1,1) and just scale the answer by a factor of ab at the end

Clearly there should be a lattice point on every side of the box, otherwise you'd be able to expand it more. Think about what happens when you rotate the box and you should be able to decide what angle it should be at too. That should be enough information I think...

Office_Shredder said:
To start, I imagine you can assume the spacing is (1,1) and just scale the answer by a factor of ab at the end
Thanks. I had thought of doing this, but I didn't see any gains.

Xevarion said:
Clearly there should be a lattice point on every side of the box, otherwise you'd be able to expand it more. Think about what happens when you rotate the box and you should be able to decide what angle it should be at too. That should be enough information I think...
Yes, that works for each case (box extending to a point on x=+/-a, +/-2a, etc.). Was wondering if there is a general theorem at play.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pick's_theorem

EDIT: Revised message.

This is a beautiful result, but does not apply because the vertices do not fall on grid points for the case I'm considering (at least for any tilt angles except 0 and pi/2).

Last edited:
This follows easily from Minkowski's theorem on convex bodies: Given a lattice L in R^n with a fundamental parallelotope of volume V, then any convex, symmetric region in R^n with volume >4V contains a nonzero point of the lattice.

Last edited:
That's perfect! Thank you so much.

Refering to the original simple question; you need to decide if you want to include the border or only the interior of the box.

No single box would contain only one theoretical geometry point, since a point has no size. Opposite sides of a box could never be one point distance apart. a side will always have infinitely points between itself and the reference point to be enclosed in the box.

... so, you have your choice of either 1 or 9. (there is a third choice, but not certain if you want that one).

Hi s-p,

Sorry if my original post wasn't clear. The borders can touch other points but only one point (the origin) is allowed inside.

Related to Area of A Box Containing Only One Point

What is the "Area of A Box Containing Only One Point"?

The "Area of A Box Containing Only One Point" refers to the mathematical concept of calculating the surface area of a three-dimensional box that contains only one point. This point can be located at any position within the box.

How is the area of a box with only one point calculated?

The area of a box with only one point is calculated by finding the sum of the areas of each face of the box. Since there is only one point inside the box, the area of each face will be 0, resulting in a total area of 0.

What is the significance of calculating the area of a box with only one point?

The calculation of the area of a box with only one point may seem trivial, but it is an important mathematical concept that helps to understand the relationship between the dimensions of a three-dimensional object and its surface area. It also serves as a basis for more complex geometric calculations.

Can the area of a box with only one point ever be greater than 0?

No, the area of a box with only one point will always be 0. This is because the concept of area requires at least two points to have a measurable value. With only one point, there is no defined length or width to calculate an area.

How is the area of a box with only one point relevant in real-world applications?

The concept of the area of a box with only one point may not have a direct application in the real world. However, it is a fundamental concept in mathematics that is used to build more complex calculations and models. It also has applications in physics and engineering, where the surface area of objects is an important factor in various calculations and designs.