Area of Ring Element: Puzzling Out dA

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion surrounding the calculation of the area of a shaded ring. The participants note that the circumference of the ring is 2πρ, but they struggle to understand how the area can be equal to (2πρ)dρ. They question whether multiplying by the infinitesimal change in radius, dρ, can yield the entire area of the ring. The conversation also mentions a diagram that suggests the area of the ring should be 2πρ2, but this is incorrect. Finally, the participants mention that this method is only useful when the change is infinitesimal, and it is a common technique in calculus.
influx
7e807e.png

The circumference of the shaded ring is 2πρ however I am struggling to understand how the area, dA, of the ring is equal to (2πρ)dρ? I mean the circumference varies depending on the value of ρ so surely we can't multiply by dρ to yield the entire area of the shaded ring? If we decided to go by the method followed in the diagram above, then the area of the circle with radius ρ would be circumference*thickness = 2πρ(ρ) = 2πρ2 but this isn't correct as the area should be πρ2?

I know this is supposed to be simple but I am having a brain freeze and it just isn't clicking atm.

Physics news on Phys.org
The ring is assumed to be of infinitesimal thickness. Here, thickness dρ is the infinitesimal change is the radius. Hence, as dρ→0, i.e.as dρ tends to 0, the inner circumference of the ring→the outer circumference i.e. area of the ring=2πρ⋅dρ.

influx said:
If we decided to go by the method followed in the diagram above, then the area of the circle with radius ρ would be circumference*thickness = 2πρ(ρ) = 2πρ2 but this isn't correct as the area should be πρ2?
This method is useful only when the "change" is very small, to be precise, "infinitesimal"(→0). This is a very common technique in calculus.

[itex]\int 2\pi \rho d\rho = \pi \rho^2[/itex]

cnh1995 said:
The ring is assumed to be of infinitesimal thickness.

yes, you have to notice in the diagram that the width ['thickness'] of the ring is illustrated as dp.

Related to Area of Ring Element: Puzzling Out dA

1. What is the formula for calculating the area of a ring element?

The formula for calculating the area of a ring element is A = π(R2 - r2), where A is the area, R is the outer radius, and r is the inner radius.

2. How is the area of a ring element different from the area of a regular circle?

The area of a ring element is different from the area of a regular circle because it only includes the area between the outer and inner radius, while the area of a regular circle includes the entire circular region.

3. Can the area of a ring element be negative?

No, the area of a ring element cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it is the measure of a two-dimensional space.

4. How can the area of a ring element be used in real-life applications?

The area of a ring element can be used in various real-life applications, such as calculating the surface area of a pipe or cylinder, determining the amount of material needed for a circular ring or frame, or even in dental work to measure the surface area of a tooth's crown.

5. Is there a specific unit for measuring the area of a ring element?

The unit for measuring the area of a ring element can vary, depending on the units used for the radii. It is important to use consistent units for accurate calculations.