Area of Norman Window: Function of Width x

• Thread starter starchild75
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
W/2)^2 so that means A=L*W+pi(W/2)^2 but they want it in terms of x (a single variable...however you have L and w in there which is 2 variables...so how would you make that one variable?) *hint* has somethign to do with what's given...that the perimitr is 30...which is 2L+w+the perimiter of the arc of the semi circle...In summary, the problem involves finding the area of a norman window, which is a
starchild75

Homework Statement

A norman window has the shape of a rectangle surmounted by a semicircle. If the perimeter of the window is 30 ft, express the area A of the window as a function of the width x of the window.

Homework Equations

2l +2w=30

The Attempt at a Solution

If this were simply a rectangle,

I can solve for l in terms of w.

l=15-w

A=w(15-w)

but I don't know how to handle the semicircle part.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

(pir^2)/2

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First, 2l+2w is NOT 30 ft. The perimeter includes the curved (semi-circle) part, so the perimeter is the sum of the lengths of the two sides, the base (the width 'x'), and the semi-circle.

So how do I convert that into function form?

Just add the quantities I stated.

sum of the lengths of the two sides, the base (the width 'x'), and the semi-circle.

Length = l, width = x, perimeter of semi-circle = ?

But the perimeter of the entire window is 30 ft. The length and width of the rectangle/semicircle are unknown.

OK, here's what I came up with.

A(w)=w(30-w-pir^2)/2

starchild75 said:
But the perimeter of the entire window is 30 ft. The length and width of the rectangle/semicircle are unknown.
You are asked to find a function; not to compute a value. A value of width or length is not needed.

r=radius, L=length, p=pi
area= L*2*r + 0.5*p*r^2;
perimeter= 2*r + 2*L + p*r = 30

You only have two variables there. Any found value of r will determine the corresponding value for L (the other dimension of the rectangle).. There is enough information to find the function of area based on ONE variable, the radius, r.
I used 2*r as the width, so you may want to rewrite some of the above shown equations based on "x" instead of 2*r.

So in solving for r, I get (30-2l-ps)/2

where ps is perimeter of semicircle.

But I want that in r in terms of l right?

putting the equation in terms of width, I got w(30-r-Ps)

P being perimeter of the semicircle.

How does that look?

Last edited:
Maybe changing the variables made the information confusing.
Let us try:
x=width of rectange, same as diameter of the semicircle;
L=length of rectangle
p= Pi=close to 3.1415...
A= area

A= 0.5*p*(x/2)^2 + x*L
and
30 = p*(x/2) + 2*L + x

You want A in terms of x. Use the second equation and substitute expression for L into the first equation.

relate the length or the arc of the semi circle to the variable of the rectangle (w and or l)

the equation of a circle's cicomference is C=2pi*r correct? you soul not need any more information

Attachments

• window.bmp
    225.1 KB · Views: 540
Last edited:
Now I am completely lost. The diameter would be c/pi? The perimeter would be pir-2r+2r+2l. or pir+2l?

Last edited:
there is a picture attached to my post, use the picture

if you can't see it i will explain it.

i denoted the bottom of the window as W
the sides as L
and the arc perimiter= unknown

however we know the radius of the arc is just W/2
so r=W/2

the formula of the perimiter of a circle is C=2pi*r
so given that R=W/2 what is the circumference?
*hint for next step...this is not a circle it is a semi circle*
what is the cirumference of the semi circle

attachment pending approval. You are saying use the circumference minus diameter plus diameter (the base) plus the two lengths for perimeter?

Ok see what you think of this.

A(w)= w((30-w-pir)/2)+(3-w-2H)/pi

w=width or diameter

H=height

r=radius

Last edited:
not exactly sure what you are saying. I might have worded my question incorrectly.

i meant the circumference of the semi circle (not including the base...only the arc)
which is essentialy half of the circumference of the circle.
wha did you get fo the circumference of the circle?

starchild75 said:
attachment pending approval. You are saying use the circumference minus diameter plus diameter (the base) plus the two lengths for perimeter?

i appologize humbly i may have misundertsood the question.

so i read the questionover again and now it has confused me...its a rectangle with a semi circle up top right, and you want to find the area of the circle (as an equation) but your given that 2l+2w=30 (or did you do that?) because the 2L i understand, but shouldn't it be 2L+w+perimiter of semi circle.

and the area is esentialy the area of rectangle +area of semi circle
and the area of the rectangle is L*W
and the area of the semi circle is _____________ (what we are trying to figure out)
so the formula for the area of a circle is pi*r^2
and r=(w/2)
so area of semi circle is pi(W/2)^2

so that means A=L*W+pi(W/2)^2

but they want it in terms of x (a single variable...however you have L and w in there which is 2 variables...so how would you make that one variable?)
*hint* has somethign to do with what's given...that the perimitr is 30...which is 2L+w+the perimiter of the arc of the semi circle...
and so what i was doing earlier was trying to get you to create an equation that relates the L and W to the perimiter of the semi circle

Last edited:
All I was given is the perimeter of the norman window, which is a recatangle surmounted by a semicircle, is equal to 30. Express the area of the window as a function of the width of the window. Sorry, the description I gave originally is straight from the calculus text. I got pir for the circumference of the semicircle.

starchild75 said:
All I was given is the perimeter of the norman window, which is a recatangle surmounted by a semicircle, is equal to 30. Express the area of the window as a function of the width of the window. Sorry, the description I gave originally is straight from the calculus text. I got pir for the circumference of the semicircle.
Exactly. The window has one base, of length x, two heights of length y, and a semicircle of length [itex]\pi r[/itex]. Have you drawn a picture? Can you see what r is in terms of x? You know that the total length is 30. What equation is that?

Now, what is the area of an x by y rectangle? What is the area of the semi circle?

H=(30-pi(w/2)-w)/2

A(w)=w(30-pi(w/2)-w)/2+.5pi(w/2)^2

Related to Area of Norman Window: Function of Width x

1. What is the formula for calculating the area of a Norman window?

The formula for calculating the area of a Norman window is A = (w/2)(w + 2w√2), where w is the width of the window.

2. Why is the area of a Norman window dependent on its width?

The area of a Norman window is dependent on its width because it is a function of the width itself. The wider the window, the larger the area will be.

3. How does the width of a Norman window affect its function?

The width of a Norman window affects its function by determining the amount of light that can enter the window. A wider window will allow more light to enter, while a narrower window will limit the amount of light that can pass through.

4. Is the area of a Norman window affected by other factors besides width?

Yes, the area of a Norman window can also be affected by the height of the window, as well as any decorative elements or frames that may be present. However, the width is the primary factor in determining the area of the window.

5. How can I use the area of a Norman window in my research or calculations?

The area of a Norman window can be used in various research or calculations, such as determining the amount of light or heat that can enter a room, or in architectural design to ensure proper proportions and balance in a building. It can also be used in mathematical equations or formulas to solve for other variables related to the window.