Area of region between circle and curve

In summary, the person is trying to find the area of a shaded area, which is between the left side of the curve and the right side of the circle. They use horizontal slices and double integrate to get the answer.
DryRun
Gold Member
Homework Statement
http://s2.ipicture.ru/uploads/20120107/67Ag24Qb.jpg

The attempt at a solution
So, i plotted the graphs of the circle and the curve:
http://s2.ipicture.ru/uploads/20120107/x32KTV6y.jpg

The shaded area is what i need to find. My plan to solve this problem is to find the area with respect to the y-axis of the curve minus the right-half of the circle.

Area of left-side of curve:
For y fixed, x varies from x=0 to x=4-y^2
y varies from y=-2 to y=2

I did double integral with the limits above, w.r.t. dxdy and got 32/3

Area of right-half of circle:
For y fixed, x varies from x=0 to x=√(4-y^2)

Again, I've done double integral and ended up with 2pi

I don't know which of these 2 integrals are wrong, as the difference doesn't give me the correct answer, although it's close.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sharks said:
Homework Statement
http://s2.ipicture.ru/uploads/20120107/67Ag24Qb.jpg

The attempt at a solution
So, i plotted the graphs of the circle and the curve:
http://s2.ipicture.ru/uploads/20120107/x32KTV6y.jpg

The shaded area is what i need to find. My plan to solve this problem is to find the area with respect to the y-axis of the curve minus the right-half of the circle.

Area of left-side of curve:
For y fixed, x varies from x=0 to x=4-y^2

I did double integral with the limits above, w.r.t. dxdy and got 32/3

Area of right-half of circle:
For y fixed, x varies from x=0 to x=√(4-y^2)

Again, I've done double integral and ended up with 2pi

I don't know which of these 2 integrals are wrong, as the difference doesn't give me the correct answer, although it's close.

Why don't you use just a single integral? Determining an iterated integral seems more complicated than is necessary. Also, I would exploit the symmetry in your curves by calculating the area of the upper half and then doubling it.

I would use horizontal slices (of thickness Δy) and of length xparabola - xcircle, and integrate from y = 0 to y = 2.

The parabola and the circle intersect at x=0 and at x=1. I think the shaded area should extend from x=1 to x=4, while y varies between-√3 and √3.

ehild

Notice where the circle & parabola intersect.

attachment.php?attachmentid=42520&stc=1&d=1325900049.gif
(from WolframAlpha)​

Attachments

• wolframalpha-circ-parab.gif
    wolframalpha-circ-parab.gif
    8.6 KB · Views: 634
I obviously had the wrong limits. I had drawn the graph roughly in my copybook so it wasn't clear at first. I used the correct limits as advised and got the answer. Thanks for the help.

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words! :smile:

Related to Area of region between circle and curve

1. What is the formula for finding the area of the region between a circle and a curve?

The formula for finding the area of the region between a circle and a curve is (πr^2) - ∫ f(x)^2 dx, where r is the radius of the circle and f(x) is the equation of the curve.

2. How is the area of the region between a circle and a curve calculated?

The area of the region between a circle and a curve is calculated by subtracting the area of the circle from the definite integral of the curve equation squared.

3. Can the region between a circle and a curve have a negative area?

No, the area between a circle and a curve cannot be negative. The definite integral always yields a positive value, and the area of a circle is always positive. Therefore, the area of the region between them will always be positive.

4. Can the area of the region between a circle and a curve be infinite?

No, the area of the region between a circle and a curve cannot be infinite. The definite integral will always yield a finite value, and the area of a circle is also finite. Therefore, the area of the region between them will always be a finite value.

5. How is the area of the region between a circle and a curve used in real world applications?

The area of the region between a circle and a curve is often used in engineering and physics to calculate the area of complex shapes. It can also be used to find the area of regions in geometry and to approximate the area under a curve in calculus.

Back