Area of the parallelogram when diagonal vectors are given.

Thus, in summary, to find the area of a parallelogram when the diagonals are given as \alpha = 2i+6j-k and \beta= 6i-8j+6k, you can use the formula A = \frac12 \cdot \| \vec {\alpha} \times \vec {\beta} \| to calculate the area.
Suvadip
I can find the area of the parallelogram when two adjacent side vectors are given. But how to find the area of the parallelogram when diagonals of the parallelogram are given as

\(\displaystyle \alpha = 2i+6j-k\) and \(\displaystyle \beta= 6i-8j+6k\)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
suvadip said:
I can find the area of the parallelogram when two adjacent side vectors are given. But how to find the area of the parallelogram when diagonals of the parallelogram are given as

Hint: If the diagonals of a parallelogram are known then you can find the sides. Figure out how.

suvadip said:

Here is a slightly different way to calculate the area of a parallelogram:

According to your question \(\displaystyle \alpha\) and \(\displaystyle \beta\) denote the diagonals of a parallelogram. Then the area is

\(\displaystyle A = \frac12 \cdot \| \vec {\alpha} \times \vec {\beta} \|\)

FAQ: Area of the parallelogram when diagonal vectors are given.

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a parallelogram when diagonal vectors are given?

The formula for finding the area of a parallelogram when diagonal vectors are given is: Area = magnitude of vector 1 * magnitude of vector 2 * sine of the angle between the two vectors.

2. How do you find the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be found using the Pythagorean theorem, where the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components.

3. Can the angle between diagonal vectors be any value?

No, the angle between diagonal vectors must be acute (less than 90 degrees) for the area formula to be accurate.

4. Can the area of a parallelogram be negative?

No, the area of a parallelogram cannot be negative as it represents a physical measurement and cannot have a negative value.

5. Can this formula be used to find the area of any parallelogram?

Yes, this formula can be used to find the area of any parallelogram as long as the given vectors are the diagonals of the parallelogram and the angle between them is acute.

Back