Area rotated around x-axis problem

• MHB
  • Thread starter DeusAbscondus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of an area rotated around the x-axis using the washer method. The integrand, including the constant, represents the area of the face of the washers and the differential represents the thickness. The outer radius is the circumference of the outside circular edge, while the inner radius pertains to the "hole" in the washer. The conversation also mentions using a program, such as Geogebra, to graph and simulate the solid of revolution.
DeusAbscondus
Hi folks, me again.

I have been asked to find the volume of an area rotated round the x-axis.
The area is that between two curves:
$$y=x^2$$
$$y=2x+3$$

I have calculated the area then got stuck as to what equation to plug into:
$$V=\int^b_a (f(x))^2\ dx$$

Would someone take a look at the geogebra screenshot which will follow in next post?
Thanks kindly,
D'Abs

Physics news on Phys.org
I would set this up as follows:

Using the washer method:

First, find the volume of an arbitrary washer:

$\displaystyle dV=\pi((2x+3)^2-(x^2)^2)\,dx$

By sketching the graph of the region to be rotated, we see that the linear function is the outer radius and the parabola is the inner radius. The thickness of the washer is dx.

Now, sum up the washers with integration:

$\displaystyle V=\pi\int_{-1}^3 -x^4+4x^2+12x+9\,dx$

MarkFL said:
I would set this up as follows:

Using the washer method:

First, find the volume of an arbitrary washer:

$\displaystyle dV=\pi((2x+3)^2-(x^2)^2)\,dx$

By sketching the graph of the region to be rotated, we see that the linear function is the outer radius and the parabola is the inner radius. The thickness of the washer is dx.

Now, sum up the washers with integration:

$\displaystyle V=\pi\int_{-1}^3 -x^4+4x^2+12x+9\,dx$

Thanks for this; I followed your demonstration and got the correct solution, which I've attached. It seems I could only get the solution when I set it out in the form
$$V=\pi\int^b_a\ (f(x))^2-(g(x))^2\cdot dx$$
then expanded the functions *before* integration!
Any comment(s) on why this should have made the difference for me?

Also, one very perplexing thing for me:
is it the integrand or the integral which constitutes the area ie: the term which gets squared in the formula:
$$V=\pi\int^b_a ((f(x))^2-(g(x))^2)\ dx$$
I think I've just answered my own question: by definition, it is the integrand, right?

Thanks for your great help, Mark.
Deus' Abs
PS Don't understand your point about "outer" and "inner" radii.
Can you recommend a way that I could graph this and see a 3D simulation of it?
I'm not sure if Geogebra (my main calculus learning aid) can do it.

Last edited:
You don't have to expand all of the terms in the integrand. You could write:

$\displaystyle V=\pi\int_{-1}^3(2x+3)^2-(x^2)^2\,dx=$

$\displaystyle V=\pi\int_{-1}^3 (2x+3)^2\,dx-\pi\int_{-1}^3 x^4\,dx$

Now, for the first integral, use the substitution:

$\displaystyle u=2x+3\,\therefore\,du=2\,dx$ and we have:

$\displaystyle V=\frac{\pi}{2}\int_{1}^9 u^2\,du-\pi\int_{-1}^3 x^4\,dx$

It is the integrand, including the constant out front that represents the area of the face of the washers, and the differential that represents the thickness.

Each washer has an outer radius, the circumference of which is the outside circular edge and the inner radius which pertains to the "hole" in the washer. As you can see from the integrand, we are subtracting the area of this hole from the area of the entire disk making up the washer.

As far as a program that will graph solids of revolution, I don't know of any offhand. I'm sure others here can assist with that.

FAQ: Area rotated around x-axis problem

1. What is the purpose of solving an "Area rotated around x-axis" problem?

The purpose of solving this type of problem is to find the volume of a three-dimensional shape that is created when a two-dimensional shape is rotated around the x-axis. This is useful in various fields of science and engineering, such as calculating the volume of a cylinder or cone.

2. How do you approach solving an "Area rotated around x-axis" problem?

To solve this type of problem, you first need to have a good understanding of basic geometry and the formula for finding the volume of a solid of revolution. Then, you would need to visualize the shape that is formed when the given two-dimensional shape is rotated around the x-axis and set up the integral accordingly. Finally, you would need to evaluate the integral to find the volume.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving an "Area rotated around x-axis" problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid include forgetting to set up the integral correctly, using the wrong formula for finding the volume, and not considering the limits of integration carefully. It is also important to double-check the units and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem.

4. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for solving an "Area rotated around x-axis" problem?

There are a few shortcuts or tricks that can be helpful in solving these types of problems. For example, if the given two-dimensional shape is symmetrical, you can use the symmetry to simplify the integral. You can also use the disk or washer method, depending on the shape of the cross-section of the solid of revolution.

5. How can I check my answer when solving an "Area rotated around x-axis" problem?

One way to check your answer is by using a graphing calculator or software to graph the two-dimensional shape and the solid of revolution. You can also use the formula for the volume of a solid of revolution and plug in your calculated value to see if it matches. Additionally, it is always helpful to double-check your calculations to ensure they are correct.