Area using Parametric Equations

In summary, to find the area inside the loop of the given curve, we can use the formula for integral and plug in the given functions. However, we need to find the values of alpha and beta, which can be done by solving simultaneous equations for x and y. One approach is to plot points and make a guess, but we can also observe that repeating values of x require equal and opposite t values, while repeating values of y require y=0. Using this information, we can find the values of alpha and beta.
Mandanesss

Homework Statement

Notice the curve given by:
f(t) = x = 36-t^2
g(t) = y = (t^3)-25*t
The curve makes a loop which lies along the x-axis. What is the total area insde the loop.

Homework Equations

Integral from alpha to beta of g(t)*f'(t) dt

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I can easily plug in g(t) and f'(t) into the formula to find the integral. The problem is, I don't understand how to find alpha and beta. I know that if I find where t intersects itself, then I could the alpha and beta. But how do I know where t intersects itself? Please help me out!

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to find two different values of t that give the same values for x and y. So if t=a, and t=b are those values you want to solve the simultaneous equations:

36-a^2=36-b^2
a^3-25*a=b^3-25*b

This is very difficult to do systematically. Your best bet is to plot some points and take a guess. In this case you could observe that x(t)=x(-t), repeating values of x need equal and opposite t's. One the other hand y(t)=-y(-t). So the only way you could get a repeating value of y at the same t that x repeats is for y(t)=0. Can you find a pair of t values?

FAQ: Area using Parametric Equations

1. How do parametric equations help in finding the area of a region?

Parametric equations are helpful in finding the area of a region because they allow us to represent the boundaries of the region in terms of two parameters, typically denoted as t and u. By integrating the parametric equations over the given range of t, we can find the area of the region enclosed by the curves.

2. What is the formula for finding the area using parametric equations?

The formula for finding the area using parametric equations is A = ∫ f(u) x'(u) du, where f(u) represents the boundary curve and x'(u) is the derivative of the parametric equation for the x-coordinate with respect to u.

3. Can parametric equations be used to find the area of non-rectangular regions?

Yes, parametric equations can be used to find the area of non-rectangular regions. By using a combination of parametric equations for the boundary curves, we can find the area of any region with curved boundaries, such as circles, ellipses, or parabolas.

4. What are some common applications of finding area using parametric equations?

Some common applications of finding area using parametric equations include calculating the area under a curve or finding the surface area of a three-dimensional shape. Parametric equations are also useful in physics and engineering for finding the area of a region in motion or calculating the work done by a varying force.

5. Are there any limitations to using parametric equations to find area?

One limitation of using parametric equations to find area is that the boundaries of the region must be defined by continuous curves. Additionally, the curves must be differentiable, and the parametric equations should have a valid range of values for t. If these conditions are not met, then the formula for finding area using parametric equations may not be reliable or accurate.