Arithmetic Sequence: Find Initial Term & Sum to 243

In summary: From the first equation you have a_1 + a_2 = 5Because a_2 = a_1 + d then you get a_1 + (a_1+d) = 5 which can be simplified (the expression in the brackets is an expression for a_2) to 2a_1 + d = 5.For the second equation you have a_1 + a_3 = 6Because a_3 = a_1 + 2d then you get a_1 + (a_1+2d) = 6 which can be simplified (the expression in the brackets is an expression for
theakdad
In arithmetic sequence we know that \(\displaystyle a_1+a_3 = 6\) and \(\displaystyle 3^{a_1+a_2}=243\)

a) Find the initial term of the sequence
b) Calculate,how much members of the sequence we have to add \(\displaystyle (a_1+a_2+...a_n)\) that we get the result 243?
Have no idea where to start :confused:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Can you state the $n$th term of the sequence in terms of the first term $a_1$ and the common difference $d$? Is $243$ a power of $3$?

wishmaster said:
In arithmetic sequence we know that \(\displaystyle a_1+a_3 = 6\) and \(\displaystyle 3^{a_1+a_2}=243\)

a) Find the initial term of the sequence
b) Calculate,how much members of the sequence we have to add \(\displaystyle (a_1+a_2+...a_n)\) that we get the result 243?
Have no idea where to start :confused:

You know that...

$\displaystyle a_{1}+ a_{3} = 6$

$\displaystyle \log_{3} 243 = a_{1} + a_{2} = 5\ (1)$

Now the general expression of an arithmetic sequence is...

$\displaystyle a_{n+1} = a_{n} + r\ (2)$

... and the (1) and (2) allow You to find $a_{1}$ and $r$ because is...

$\displaystyle a_{1} + r = 3$

$\displaystyle 2\ a_{1} + r = 5\ (3)$

... so that is $a_{1}=2$ and $r=1$. The sum of the first n terms of an arithmetic sequence is...

$\displaystyle S_{n} = \frac {n}{2}\ \{2\ a_{1} + (n-1)\ r\}\ (4)$

In Your opinion, setting in (4) $a_{1}=2$ and $r=1$ does it exist some n for which is $S_{n} = 243$?...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

MarkFL said:
Can you state the $n$th term of the sequence in terms of the first term $a_1$ and the common difference $d$? Is $243$ a power of $3$?

Dont know how to start...

\(\displaystyle 3^{a_1+a_2} = 243 \)so 3 on power/exponent of \(\displaystyle 3^{a_1+a_2}\) is 243

wishmaster said:
Dont know how to start...

\(\displaystyle 3^{a_1+a_2} = 243 \)so 3 on power/exponent of \(\displaystyle 3^{a_1+a_2}\) is 243

The $n$th term of an arithmetic sequence , or arithmetic progression (AP) is given by:

\(\displaystyle a_n=a_1+(n-1)d\)

Where $d$ is the common difference between successive terms.

Also \(\displaystyle 3^5=243\)

Can you put this together to obtain a linear 2X2 system of equations in $a_1$ and $d$?

chisigma said:
You know that...

$\displaystyle a_{1}+ a_{3} = 6$

$\displaystyle \log_{3} 243 = a_{1} + a_{2} = 5\ (1)$

Now the general expression of an arithmetic sequence is...

$\displaystyle a_{n+1} = a_{n} + r\ (2)$

... and the (1) and (2) allow You to find $a_{1}$ and $r$ because is...

$\displaystyle a_{1} + r = 3$

$\displaystyle 2\ a_{1} + r = 5\ (3)$

... so that is $a_{1}=2$ and $r=1$. The sum of the first n terms of an arithmetic sequence is...

$\displaystyle S_{n} = \frac {n}{2}\ \{2\ a_{1} + (n-1)\ r\}\ (4)$

In Your opinion, setting in (4) $a_{1}=2$ and $r=1$ does it exist some n for which is $S_{n} = 243$?...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Can it be done without logarithms?

- - - Updated - - -

MarkFL said:
The $n$th term of an arithmetic sequence , or arithmetic progression (AP) is given by:

\(\displaystyle a_n=a_1+(n-1)d\)

Where $d$ is the common difference between successive terms.

Also \(\displaystyle 3^5=243\)

Can you put this together to obtain a linear 2X2 system of equations in $a_1$ and $d$?
How do you know that 35=243 ?

wishmaster said:
...How do you know that 35=243 ?

\(\displaystyle 243=3\cdot81=3\cdot9^2=3\cdot3^4=3^5\)

MarkFL said:
\(\displaystyle 243=3\cdot81=3\cdot9^2=3\cdot3^4=3^5\)
Dont know what to do further...how to deal with such problems!

wishmaster said:
Dont know what to do further...how to deal with such problems!

If $r^x=r^y$, then what can we say about $x$ and $y$?

MarkFL said:
If $r^x=r^y$, then what can we say about $x$ and $y$?
That \(\displaystyle x=y\) ?

wishmaster said:
That \(\displaystyle x=y\) ?

Yes good! :D

What does this mean in terms of the given equation:

\(\displaystyle 3^{a_1+a_2}=243\)

MarkFL said:
Yes good! :D

What does this mean in terms of the given equation:

\(\displaystyle 3^{a_1+a_2}=243\)

\(\displaystyle \sqrt[a_1+a_2]{243}=3\)

wishmaster said:
\(\displaystyle \sqrt[a_1+a_2]{243}=3\)

While that is true, I meant:

\(\displaystyle 3^{a_1+a_2}=243-3^5\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle a_1+a_2=5\)

See how we got the same base and then equated exponents?

So, now you have the above and the given:

\(\displaystyle a_1+a_3=6\)

Now can you rewrite $a_2$ and $a_3$ using the formula I provided above for the $n$th term?

Once you do this, you will have two linear equations in two unknowns. At this point you can use elimination or substitution to get the value of $a_1$.

MarkFL said:
While that is true, I meant:

\(\displaystyle 3^{a_1+a_2}=243-3^5\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle a_1+a_2=5\)

See how we got the same base and then equated exponents?

So, now you have the above and the given:

\(\displaystyle a_1+a_3=6\)

Now can you rewrite $a_2$ and $a_3$ using the formula I provided above for the $n$th term?

Once you do this, you will have two linear equations in two unknowns. At this point you can use elimination or substitution to get the value of $a_1$.

\(\displaystyle a_1+d=5\)
\(\displaystyle a_1+2d=6\) ?

wishmaster said:
\(\displaystyle a_1+d=5\)
\(\displaystyle a_1+2d=6\) ?

Not quite. Remember that \(\displaystyle a_2 = a_1 + d\) and, more generally, \(\displaystyle a_n = a_1 + (n-1)d\). You seem to have left out the additional \(\displaystyle a_1\) terms when doing your working

For the first equation you have \(\displaystyle a_1 + a_2 = 5\)

Because \(\displaystyle a_2 = a_1 + d\) then you get \(\displaystyle a_1 + (a_1+d) = 5\) which can be simplified (the expression in the brackets is an expression for \(\displaystyle a_2\))

Last edited:
SuperSonic4 said:
Not quite. Remember that \(\displaystyle a_2 = a_1 + d\) and, more generally, \(\displaystyle a_n = a_1 + (n-1)d\). You seem to have left out the additional \(\displaystyle a_1\) terms when doing your working

For the first equation you have \(\displaystyle a_1 + a_2 = 5\)

Because \(\displaystyle a_2 = a_1 + d\) then you get \(\displaystyle a_1 + (a_1+d) = 5\) which can be simplified (the expression in the brackets is an expression for \(\displaystyle a_2\))

So then is so i believe:

\(\displaystyle 2a_1+d=5\)
\(\displaystyle 2a_1+2d=6\)
so then i multiply first equation by (-1) and i get:

\(\displaystyle -2a_1-d=-5\)
\(\displaystyle 2a_1+2d=6\)

i add the equations and i get \(\displaystyle d=1\)

and from here that \(\displaystyle a_1=2\) ,\(\displaystyle a_2=3\) and \(\displaystyle a_3\) is 4

Am i on the right path?

Yes, that's correct. Now can you use the formula for the sum of the series given by chisigma to answer part b)?

MarkFL said:
Yes, that's correct. Now can you use the formula for the sum of the series given by chisigma to answer part b)?

I have used the formula,and further solved it with quadratic formula:

\(\displaystyle \frac{n(2a_1+(n-1)d)}{2}=77\)
From here i got:

\(\displaystyle n^2+3n-154=0\)

So:

\(\displaystyle a=1, b=3, c=154\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{-b+/-\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}\)

\(\displaystyle x_1= 11, x_2= -14\) Cant be solution.

So my solution is 11! We have to add 11 members of the sequence to get 77.

Im wondering if there is shorter way to calculate this?

Last edited:
I thought the sum needed to be 243?

We could use the formula:

\(\displaystyle S_n=\sum_{k=1}^n(k+1)\)

For a sum of 77, we could use the well-known formula \(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^n(k)=\frac{n(n+1)}{2}\) to state:

\(\displaystyle S_n=\frac{n(n+1)}{2}+n=77\)

Arrange in standard quadratic form:

Factor:

\(\displaystyle (n-11)(n+14)=0\)

Discarding the negative root, we find:

\(\displaystyle n=11\)

However, I recommend the formula given by chisigma as it is more general.

MarkFL said:
I thought the sum needed to be 243?

We could use the formula:

\(\displaystyle S_n=\sum_{k=1}^n(k+1)\)

For a sum of 77, we could use the well-known formula \(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^n(k)=\frac{n(n+1)}{2}\) to state:

\(\displaystyle S_n=\frac{n(n+1)}{2}+n=77\)

Arrange in standard quadratic form:

Factor:

\(\displaystyle (n-11)(n+14)=0\)

Discarding the negative root, we find:

\(\displaystyle n=11\)

However, I recommend the formula given by chisigma as it is more general.

The second question was: How many members of the sequence do you need to get the sum of 77.
I think i have done it with formula given by chisigma...or maybe i have missed something.

wishmaster said:
The second question was: How many members of the sequence do you need to get the sum of 77.
I think i have done it with formula given by chisigma...or maybe i have missed something.

Yes, you applied it correctly.

In your statement of the quadratic formula, there is a $\LaTeX$ command to display the plus/minus character. The code \pm produces $\pm$. And in case you ever need it, the code \mp produces $\mp$. :D

MarkFL said:
Yes, you applied it correctly.

In your statement of the quadratic formula, there is a $\LaTeX$ command to display the plus/minus character. The code \pm produces $\pm$. And in case you ever need it, the code \mp produces $\mp$. :D

Thank you! I am stiil learning $\LaTeX$ .
So i think this is solved?
Or is there another way to do it?

wishmaster said:
Thank you! I am stiil learning $\LaTeX$ .
So i think this is solved?
Or is there another way to do it?

I would say you are done. :D

Related to Arithmetic Sequence: Find Initial Term & Sum to 243

What is an arithmetic sequence?

An arithmetic sequence is a sequence of numbers where the difference between consecutive terms is constant. This means that each term is obtained by adding or subtracting the same number from the previous term.

How do you find the initial term of an arithmetic sequence?

To find the initial term of an arithmetic sequence, you can use the formula an = a1 + (n-1)d, where a1 is the first term, d is the common difference, and n is the term number. Rearranging this formula, we get a1 = an - (n-1)d. Therefore, to find the initial term, you need to know the value of a specific term and the common difference.

What is the sum of an arithmetic sequence?

The sum of an arithmetic sequence can be calculated using the formula Sn = (n/2)(2a1 + (n-1)d), where Sn is the sum of the first n terms, a1 is the first term, and d is the common difference. This formula can be derived by multiplying the number of terms by the average of the first and last term.

How do you find the initial term of an arithmetic sequence given its sum?

To find the initial term of an arithmetic sequence given its sum, you can use the formula a1 = (2Sn - n^2d)/(2n), where a1 is the first term, Sn is the sum of the first n terms, and d is the common difference. This formula can be derived by rearranging the formula for the sum of an arithmetic sequence.

What is the sum to 243 in an arithmetic sequence with a common difference of 5?

The sum to 243 in an arithmetic sequence with a common difference of 5 can be found by substituting the values into the formula Sn = (n/2)(2a1 + (n-1)d). This gives us the equation 243 = (n/2)(2a1 + 5(n-1)). To solve for n, we can use algebra or plug in values for a1 and d to find a pattern. Once we know the value of n, we can plug it back into the formula to find the sum.