Arrow hitting a target average force question

In summary, the problem involves an 8.0×10−2 kg arrow hitting a target at 25 m/s and penetrating 3.8 cm before stopping. The given information is used to find the average force exerted by the target on the arrow and vice versa. The equations used are F=ma and v^2 = v_0 ^2 + 2a\Delta x.
Capncanada

Homework Statement

A 8.0×10−2 kg arrow hits the target at 25 m/s and penetrates 3.8 cm before stopping.

Homework Equations

What average force did the target exert on the arrow?

What average force did the arrow exert on the target?

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the force the arrow's exerting before it hits the target I think...
(8*10^-2kg)*(9.8m/s^2)= 0.784N

I don't know where to go from here though.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sammy if you are reading this, correct me if I am wrong lol.

If it is already in the air and it is hitting something, it kinda means there is a drag force (resistance force) negating gravity.

So you are only concern with the horizontal force.

You have distance and speed, you can find the acceleration.

I only have the distance the arrow goes when it hits the target, I don't know how to apply it, I'm sorry.

[tex]v^2 = v_0 ^2 + 2a\Delta x[/tex]

And how do I use this to find the force?

F = ma

Related to Arrow hitting a target average force question

1. What is the average force required for an arrow to hit a target?

The average force required for an arrow to hit a target depends on various factors such as the weight and speed of the arrow, the distance between the archer and the target, and the type of bow being used. It is not possible to give a specific number as the average force can vary greatly.

2. How does the distance between the archer and the target affect the average force required?

The distance between the archer and the target plays a significant role in determining the average force required. The farther the distance, the harder the archer needs to pull the bowstring to generate enough force for the arrow to reach the target.

3. Does the weight of the arrow affect the average force required?

Yes, the weight of the arrow does affect the average force required. Heavier arrows require more force to reach the target compared to lighter arrows, as they have more mass and therefore experience more resistance from the air.

4. Can the type of bow affect the average force needed for an arrow to hit a target?

Yes, the type of bow can affect the average force needed for an arrow to hit a target. Different types of bows, such as a longbow or a compound bow, have different mechanisms for generating force, which can impact the amount of force needed to hit a target.

5. Is there a specific formula for calculating the average force required for an arrow to hit a target?

There is no specific formula for calculating the average force required for an arrow to hit a target. As mentioned before, it depends on various factors and can vary greatly. However, there are some general equations and principles in physics that can be used to estimate the average force needed in specific scenarios.

Back