As a Physics Phd student, what are the skill required for Quant?

In summary, the individual is a second-year PhD student in physics with a focus on observational cosmology. They are considering a career in quantitative analysis, specifically in the financial sector, due to the similarities with academia and the potential to work in NYC. They are unsure if their current research experience and skills are enough to apply for a job in quant, and are considering learning the necessary skills on their own. The individual also mentions their interest in trading strategy development, portfolio optimization, derivatives pricing and hedging, risk management, and credit analysis.
brianwang76
First of all I read a lot info from post by twofish-quant but I am not sure if its outdated already.

So I am currently in the second year of my grad school (PhD program) in physics, specialized in observation cosmology (galaxy survey aiming at Dark Energy/inflation/BAO/...). As much as I like studying physics and learn things about the universe, I start to think that the path of research didn't really fit me, as I am not dedicated enough to stay sharp in academia, and the field is extremely saturated already. Then I learned that people having physics PhD go to wall st and become quant, and many of them were either in theoretical physics or have skills in simulations/computing/machine learning/datamining...etc.

My research on the other hand, mainly involves image reduction, possibly some simulations but not much and further data reductions for scientific results. We also build detectors and telescopes (an observation project completely by ourselves). I feel like I will be using some pythons and a bit c++ and that's pretty much it, but I may be wrong. If that's the case though, would I be able to learn basic required skills to apply for quant when I graduate? Or is it possible to learn by myself through the years and then apply for one? I am not sure to what extent my research will lead me in terms of coding and modeling but I am a bit worried that this might not be the field I am specialized in.

I guess the primary reason for me to be interested in quantitative analysist is that I read that (from physics forum) the working environment is very similar to academia, and its centered in NYC. I really, really hope I can get a job in NYC for at least a few years. (I know, this reason sounds silly). I kind of like the current project I am working on with and the advisor is fantastic. I am not sure if the skills can't be obtained, is it worth it to go to other projects. So just to ask my question again, would I be able to learn basic required skills to apply for quant when I graduate in my research field? Or should I learned it by myself in these few years?
Thanks for this ignorant questions!

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's the wikipedia article on quantitative analysts and the type of math they use:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantitative_analystSo one part of your question is:

Do you have the background and/or/ project experience in these math areas?

Mathematical and statistical approaches

Because of their backgrounds, quantitative analysts draw from three forms of mathematics: statistics and probability, calculus centered around partial differential equations, and econometrics. The majority of quantitative analysts have received little formal education in mainstream economics, and often apply a mindset drawn from the physical sciences. Physicists tend to have significantly less experience of statistical techniques, and thus lean on approaches based upon partial differential equations, and solutions to these based upon numerical analysis.

The most commonly used numerical methods are:

Finite difference method – used to solve partial differential equations;
Monte Carlo method – Also used to solve partial differential equations, but Monte Carlo simulation is also common in risk management.

Do you have an interest in the following types of work?

Areas of work

Trading strategy development
Portfolio optimization
Derivatives pricing and hedging: involves a lot of highly efficient (usually object-oriented) software development, advanced numerical techniques, and stochastic calculus
Risk management: involves a lot of time series analysis, calibration, and backtesting for an example of Back Testing see Quantech Investments*Credit analysis

Related to As a Physics Phd student, what are the skill required for Quant?

1. What technical skills are required for a Physics PhD student in Quant?

A Physics PhD student in Quant should have a strong foundation in mathematics, including calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and statistics. They should also have a strong understanding of programming languages such as Python, MATLAB, or R.

2. Is knowledge of financial markets necessary for a Physics PhD student in Quant?

While it may be helpful to have some basic knowledge of financial markets, it is not a requirement for a Physics PhD student in Quant. However, a strong understanding of mathematical modeling and data analysis is essential.

3. What soft skills are important for a Physics PhD student in Quant?

In addition to technical skills, a Physics PhD student in Quant should have strong critical thinking and problem-solving abilities. They should also be detail-oriented, have excellent communication skills, and be able to work well in a team.

4. How important is research experience for a Physics PhD student in Quant?

Research experience is highly important for a Physics PhD student in Quant. This experience allows students to develop their problem-solving and analytical skills, as well as gain a deeper understanding of the scientific process.

5. What career opportunities are available for a Physics PhD student in Quant?

A Physics PhD student in Quant can pursue a variety of career paths, including working in finance, data science, or research and development. They may also choose to work in academia or government agencies.