AS Sensor Coursework Ideas: Spinning Disc and Phototransistor Setup

In summary, the speakers are discussing an AS Sensor Coursework plan that is due in a week. One speaker is struggling to come up with ideas for the project, specifically which sensor to use. They mention using a spinning disc with a hole in front of a lamp and a phototransistor and oscilloscope to measure frequency and rotations per second. They are looking for more ideas and help with the project requirements, which involve using a potential divider or wheatstone network. The other speaker suggests providing more information and clarifying the project requirements. They also mention that the discussion should not be taking place in the College Help forum, but the speaker is hoping to find someone familiar with the course and sensor coursework.
richMMIV
Hello there!
My AS Sensor Courswork plan is due in a week today and i really don't know what sensor to use and what to do
The best I've come up with so far is to use a spinning disc with a hole in it in front of a lamp and using a phototransistor and oscilloscope to work out frequency and rotations / second. I really need some more ideas.. so any help would be very welcome.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It would help if we knew what the requirements were...

Its hard to explain the requirements on here because we have pages of it! Its basically a simple all-round test of a sensor designed in a circuit for a particular purpose.. with a slight emphasis on the use of a potential divider or wheatstone network. For anyone familiar with it or that's done it its on the OCR Advancing Physics course.

Hmm for AS-evel course work you shouldn't really have posted in the College Help forum.

I think it would be best if you can provide more info :-/

Sorry. I'm in college so i thought itd make sense! :/
I'm really looking for anyone that's doing the course and might be familiar with the sensor coursework. There's some suggested project ideas like measuring water level with a rotary potentiometer and the spinning disc one but i was hoping someone might have a more original concept!

FAQ: AS Sensor Coursework Ideas: Spinning Disc and Phototransistor Setup

1. What is a spinning disc setup for a sensor?

A spinning disc setup for a sensor is a type of experimental setup used to measure the speed and direction of an object's rotation. It consists of a disc with evenly spaced marks or holes around its circumference, a motor to spin the disc, and a sensor to detect the markings on the disc. This setup can be used to measure a wide range of rotational speeds and is often used in experiments involving angular velocity and acceleration.

2. How does a phototransistor work in this setup?

A phototransistor is a type of light-sensitive electronic component that can be used as a sensor in the spinning disc setup. It works by converting light energy into electrical signals. In this setup, the phototransistor is positioned near the spinning disc and detects the changes in light intensity as the disc rotates, which can be used to calculate the speed and direction of the disc's rotation.

3. What are some potential applications of this setup?

This setup can be used in a variety of applications, such as monitoring the speed and direction of rotating machinery, conducting experiments on angular velocity and acceleration, and even in robotics for controlling the movement of robotic arms or wheels. It can also be used in educational settings to demonstrate concepts related to rotational motion and sensors.

4. Are there any limitations to this setup?

Like any experimental setup, there are some limitations to consider. For example, the accuracy of the measurements may be affected by factors such as the quality of the disc, the sensitivity of the phototransistor, and external factors like ambient light. Additionally, this setup may not be suitable for measuring very high speeds or extremely small rotational movements.

5. What are some potential improvements or variations to this setup?

There are several ways to improve or modify this setup for different purposes. For instance, using a disc with a higher number of markings can increase the accuracy of the measurements. Adding a second phototransistor on the opposite side of the disc can also improve the precision of the readings. Additionally, different types of sensors, such as optical encoders or magnetic sensors, can be used instead of a phototransistor, depending on the specific application.

Back