ASP.NET MVC: Why do all my tables need a primary key ....

• Thread starter Jamin2112
  • Start date
In summary: When you create a model in Entity Framework, it automatically generates a SQL query that will create the database for you. The model also includes a table called "App_Data" which is a holding place for the data. This table usually has a primary key that is also an integer. When you create a model, Entity Framework also creates a corresponding C# code file (usually in the "App_Data" folder) that accesses the data in the "App_Data" table.In summary, the Entity Framework needs a primary key to identify each record and the code that creates the database is automatically generated by the model.
Technology news on Phys.org
Primary keys are often needed to insure uniqueness of records in a database. They also allow you to reference, update or delete a record.

So if those actions are needed then that explains the need for a primary key.

I guess my big question is, how does my ASP.NET project know how to recreate the database after I drop it? Is there a 1-to-1 mapping between the C# code that models a database and the SQL query that would generate that database? Or when I use the ADO.NET Entity Data Model to create the model, does it write a query behind the scenes?

Any software which generates code for handling data will require each database table involved to have a primary key, which is usually an integer that acts as a unique identifier for each record. This key is needed because the records themselves may contain identical data, making them otherwise impossible to distinguish. In order to update an existing record, it must be possible to know beyond a shadow of a doubt which record should be updated.

If there were not primary key on a table, an update request, if finding two identical records, would have to make an arbitrary decision: 1) update ALL records matching the criterion, or 2) update the FIRST RECORD FOUND to match the criterion (and you would not know which record it found first because you don't know exactly how the database is searching for the records). The use of a primary key avoids such ambiguities.

FAQ: ASP.NET MVC: Why do all my tables need a primary key ....

1. Why do I need to have a primary key for all my tables in ASP.NET MVC?

Having a primary key for each table in your database is essential for data integrity and efficient querying. It ensures that each record in a table is unique and can be easily identified. In ASP.NET MVC, the primary key is used as the primary identifier for each model, which makes it easier to retrieve and manipulate data.

2. Can I have more than one primary key in a table in ASP.NET MVC?

No, a primary key should be a single, unique identifier for each record in a table. Having multiple primary keys can lead to data duplication and make it difficult to query and manipulate data. However, you can have composite primary keys, which consist of multiple columns that together form a unique identifier for a record.

3. What type of data can be used as a primary key in ASP.NET MVC?

The most commonly used data type for a primary key in ASP.NET MVC is an integer, such as an ID or sequence number. However, you can also use other data types such as strings or GUIDs. It is important to choose a data type that is unique, stable, and easily indexed for efficient querying.

4. Do I need to have a primary key for every table column in ASP.NET MVC?

No, not every column in a table needs to be a primary key. In fact, it is recommended to have a separate primary key column rather than using an existing column as a primary key. This allows for more flexibility in data manipulation and avoids potential data conflicts.

5. How do I add a primary key to a table in ASP.NET MVC?

You can add a primary key to a table in ASP.NET MVC by using the [Key] attribute in your model class. This will designate the specified property as the primary key. If you are using Entity Framework, you can also configure the primary key in the database context class by using the HasKey() method.

Back