Aspartame is extremely dangerous to your health?

• Thread starter The_Absolute
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Health
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential health risks associated with the artificial sweetener, Aspartame, as well as the chemical, Benzene, found in cola products. Some claim that Aspartame can cause serious health problems, while others argue that there is not enough scientific evidence to support these claims. The conversation also touches on the difficulty of finding unbiased information on the subject. The thread has been locked until the OP can provide a peer-reviewed article for discussion.
The_Absolute
I've heard a lot about the artificial sweetener used in thousands of products "Aspartame" has been said to cause cancers, brain lesions, lowering I.Q., as well as quite a slew of other serious health problems. I've been drinking diet soda for quite a few years now, I don't know if I am greatly increasing my chances of developing certain cancers in my future. I switched from regular soda to diet soda in hopes that I would lose weight, which I did. Another toxin in cola products is the chemical "Benzene", which is well known to damage cells and cause cancer.

Is Aspartame really as dangerous as some people claim it is?

Biology news on Phys.org
I haven't looked into the aspartame safety issue much, so I'll abstain from commenting on it. However, I'm fairly certain that cola products do not contain benzene. They do contain sodium benzoate, a preservative, but comparing sodium benzoate to benzene is like comparing table salt (sodium chloride) to the explosive metal sodium and the poisonous gas chlorine.

The_Absolute said:
I've heard a lot about the artificial sweetener used in thousands of products "Aspartame" has been said to cause cancers, brain lesions, lowering I.Q., as well as quite a slew of other serious health problems. I've been drinking diet soda for quite a few years now, I don't know if I am greatly increasing my chances of developing certain cancers in my future. I switched from regular soda to diet soda in hopes that I would lose weight, which I did. Another toxin in cola products is the chemical "Benzene", which is well known to damage cells and cause cancer.

Gawd I hope not. Diet Cola is my one remaining vice.

I think it is likely virtually impossible to find an objective, unbaised source of information on the subject.

The_Absolute said:
I've heard a lot about the artificial sweetener used in thousands of products "Aspartame" has been said to cause cancers, brain lesions, lowering I.Q., as well as quite a slew of other serious health problems.
Another toxin in cola products is the chemical "Benzene", which is well known to damage cells and cause cancer.

This topic is completely useless without links to peer-reviewed studies. Just because you "heard" it from some guy on the street corner or read it on some website doesn't make it true.

Give us real scientific studies because only then can we accurately comment on your accusations.

I've locked the thread for now. If the OP would like to furnish a mentor with a link to a peer reviewed article for discussion then it may reopen.

Related to Aspartame is extremely dangerous to your health?

1. Is aspartame really dangerous to our health?

There is currently no scientific evidence to support the claim that aspartame is extremely dangerous to our health. Multiple studies have been conducted and have consistently found no link between aspartame consumption and negative health effects.

2. Why do some people believe that aspartame is harmful?

The belief that aspartame is dangerous to our health stems from a few flawed studies that have been widely circulated and sensationalized by the media. These studies have been largely debunked by the scientific community.

3. What are the potential side effects of consuming aspartame?

The most commonly reported side effects of aspartame consumption include headaches, dizziness, and digestive issues. However, these effects are mild and are not experienced by the majority of people who consume aspartame. Additionally, these side effects are also associated with other foods and ingredients, making it difficult to determine if aspartame is the underlying cause.

4. Are there any health benefits to consuming aspartame?

Aspartame is a low-calorie sweetener that can be used as a sugar substitute, making it a useful tool for those trying to reduce their sugar intake. It has also been found to be safe for consumption by diabetics. Furthermore, aspartame is composed of two amino acids, which are building blocks of protein, so it does have some nutritional value.

5. Should I avoid consuming products that contain aspartame?

Consuming products that contain aspartame is generally considered safe for the majority of people. However, if you have a diagnosed sensitivity to aspartame or experience negative side effects after consuming it, it may be best to avoid products containing the ingredient. As with any food or ingredient, moderation is key.