Assign a pointer to any instance of searchChar in personName to searchResult.

• MHB
  • Thread starter carl123
  • Start date
In summary, the code uses the strchr() function to search for a specific character (searchChar) in a string (personName). If the character is found, the code outputs "Character found", otherwise it outputs "Character not found".
carl123
HTML:
#include <iostream>
#include <cstring>
using namespace std;

int main() {
   char personName[100] = "Albert Johnson";
   char searchChar = 'J';
   char* searchResult = 0;

/* Your solution goes here */

if (searchResult != 0) {
      cout << "Character found." << endl;
   }
   else {
      cout << "Character not found." << endl;
   }

return 0;
}

Please, how do I got about this? Thanks

Technology news on Phys.org
MHB: General rules. 11. Show some effort.

It's hard to know what you need help with or what you're struggling with. For example, do you need help with understanding the wording of the problem? Do you need to know what variable to use or datatypes?

I would use strchr() for this problem.

smilesofmiles said:
I would use strchr() for this problem.

Ok, I was able to figure it out. I added this:
Code:
searchResult = strchr(personName, searchChar);
and it works. Thanks!

FAQ: Assign a pointer to any instance of searchChar in personName to searchResult.

1. What is the purpose of assigning a pointer to an instance of searchChar in personName?

The purpose of assigning a pointer to an instance of searchChar in personName is to allow for easy and efficient access to the specific character within the string. It allows for quicker searching and manipulation of the character.

2. How does assigning a pointer to an instance of searchChar in personName work?

When a pointer is assigned to an instance of searchChar in personName, the pointer will store the memory address of the character within the string. This allows for the pointer to directly access and manipulate the character without having to search the entire string.

3. Can the pointer be reassigned to a different character within the string?

Yes, the pointer can be reassigned to a different character within the string. This allows for flexibility in searching and manipulating different characters within the same string.

4. What happens if the searchChar is not found within personName?

If the searchChar is not found within personName, the pointer will either point to a null value or an 'out of bounds' value, depending on the programming language used. This indicates that the character does not exist within the string.

5. Is assigning a pointer to an instance of searchChar in personName necessary?

No, assigning a pointer to an instance of searchChar in personName is not necessary. It is simply a technique used to optimize and streamline the process of accessing and manipulating characters within a string. Other methods, such as using a loop, can also be used to achieve the same result.

Back