Assistance in cutting down unneeded information in physics report

mostafaelsan2005
Homework Statement
I have written a physics report on the damping coefficient of a pendulum of varying surface areas and was wondering if anyone could please look over it quickly and check if I could reduce any section down and if there are any fallacies in the report (particularly with the uncertainties because I discovered that the damping coefficient has quite a large one) as well.
Relevant Equations
N/A
I have been able to cut it down quite a bit and when I worked out the uncertainties and made the conclusion my teacher was unsure about my uncertainties.

Attachments

• Physics Final IA_ Exploration (1).pdf
    2 MB · Views: 52
Physics news on Phys.org
I will read through it. But right away, please read this statement made in your first paragraph and tell me what is wrong with it.
However, what interested me in particular was the fact that upon learning about the fundamental
behaviors of pendulums within concepts such as simple harmonic motion, was that despite their
theoretical background, pendulums as they are applied in real-world scenarios including the
back-and-forth movement of a swing do not go on forever.
The first few paragraphs seem to be High School level, but as I get more into it, it looks a bit more than that.

As I read this, I am becoming more and more unsure about the context. If this was a class assignment, I would be calling out places where you could include citations.

Okay, here are your first citation:
As a result, a region of higher pressure may be
observed in front of the pendulum bob and a region of lower pressure can be observed behind the
pendulum bob (WondriumDaily). Due to this difference in pressure, the air molecules in the
higher-pressure region flow towards the lower-pressure region, thereby generating a drag force
on the pendulum's motion (WondriumDaily).
Apparently, https://www.wondriumdaily.com/ is a life long learning tool. A subscription provides access to educational materials.
Your citations should include a full index to the video or paper you are citing. In the case of a video that is longer than a few minutes, I usually include a time mark as well.

If this is some kind of WondriumDaily homework assignment, you should include that in your introduction. In some cases, a class may be told to identify the assignment in the heading.

Last edited:
Page 8:
Photographs taken by candidate
So you are a candidate. Fill me in.
Someone or some group will be evaluating your candidacy. Without knowing more, I have no clue about what criteria they will use.

Wondering about Step 6.
6. Apply a small amount of super glue to the back of each cardboard cutout and carefullyattach them to the pendulum bob, ensuring they are centered and securely glued.

Is the cutout placed at the front of the pendulum, the rear, bottom, on the side, parallel or perpendicular to the pendulum motion ( or does that matter ) . I am not sure, if when following the directions, where to actually attach the cutout. My concept of "centered" might mean something different from what is implied.

For example,
Do you mean the centre of the area of the pendulum parallel to the motion, which begs another question.
If attached to the side of the pendulum, were these two areas ( pendulum side area and cutout face area ) concentric in your experiment?
Does it matter?
If one if moving to a trial for a different sized cutout, is the concentricity ensured.

.Scott said:
Page 8:

So you are a candidate. Fill me in.
Someone or some group will be evaluating your candidacy. Without knowing more, I have no clue about what criteria they will use.
Ah, sorry, basically this is a Physics Internal Assessment that is a mandatory lab report for the IB (International Baccalaureate) diploma. An exemplar is attached here: https://www.clastify.com/ia/physics/62d175048af69200139b4736

256bits said:
Wondering about Step 6.
6. Apply a small amount of super glue to the back of each cardboard cutout and carefullyattach them to the pendulum bob, ensuring they are centered and securely glued.

Is the cutout placed at the front of the pendulum, the rear, bottom, on the side, parallel or perpendicular to the pendulum motion ( or does that matter ) . I am not sure, if when following the directions, where to actually attach the cutout. My concept of "centered" might mean something different from what is implied.

For example,
Do you mean the centre of the area of the pendulum parallel to the motion, which begs another question.
If attached to the side of the pendulum, were these two areas ( pendulum side area and cutout face area ) concentric in your experiment?
Does it matter?
If one if moving to a trial for a different sized cutout, is the concentricity ensured.
Let's see if this makes sense: Assuming that the pendulum is moving in a forward direction, the surface area of the cardboard cutout will be attached to the 'front' of the pendulum with the front being the direction to which the pendulum is traveling

Likes 256bits
.Scott said:
I will read through it. But right away, please read this statement made in your first paragraph and tell me what is wrong with it.

The first few paragraphs seem to be High School level, but as I get more into it, it looks a bit more than that.

As I read this, I am becoming more and more unsure about the context. If this was a class assignment, I would be calling out places where you could include citations.

Okay, here are your first citation:

Apparently, https://www.wondriumdaily.com/ is a life long learning tool. A subscription provides access to educational materials.
Your citations should include a full index to the video or paper you are citing. In the case of a video that is longer than a few minutes, I usually include a time mark as well.

If this is some kind of WondriumDaily homework assignment, you should include that in your introduction. In some cases, a class may be told to identify the assignment in the heading.
Also, this is not an assignment from that webpage, it was just information about how varying surface areas affects the pressure

mostafaelsan2005 said:
Ah, sorry, basically this is a Physics Internal Assessment that is a mandatory lab report for the IB (International Baccalaureate) diploma. An exemplar is attached here: https://www.clastify.com/ia/physics/62d175048af69200139b4736
As a non-subscriber, I cannot read beyond the second page of that example.
If you're following the exemplar as closely as you seem, you should be fine. If you are running long only because of the data tables, perhaps you should move them to an appendix. In any case, don't count the data tables when you compare what you have with the exemplar.

As far as that sentence I called out earlier:
However, what interested me in particular was the fact that upon learning about the fundamental
behaviors of pendulums within concepts such as simple harmonic motion, was that despite their
theoretical background, pendulums as they are applied in real-world scenarios including the
back-and-forth movement of a swing do not go on forever.
This is not a properly formed sentence. It is also "run a long".
Break it up into 3 or 4 sentences and make sure that each one is properly formed.

Likes mostafaelsan2005

Related to Assistance in cutting down unneeded information in physics report

1. How do I identify unneeded information in a physics report?

Unneeded information in a physics report can often be identified by checking if it directly supports your main hypothesis, results, or conclusions. If a section or detail doesn't contribute to these core elements, it might be extraneous. Look for repetitive statements, overly detailed background information, or tangential discussions that don't add value to your report's objectives.

2. What is the best way to streamline the introduction section?

To streamline the introduction section, focus on clearly stating the research question, objectives, and the significance of your study. Avoid lengthy historical overviews or excessive technical details that aren't directly relevant to understanding the purpose and context of your research. Aim for brevity and clarity while ensuring all necessary background information is provided.

3. How can I ensure my methodology section is concise yet comprehensive?

To ensure your methodology section is concise yet comprehensive, describe the essential procedures, materials, and equipment used in your study without going into unnecessary detail. Use bullet points or numbered lists for steps if appropriate, and avoid including information that doesn't directly impact the reproducibility or understanding of your experiment.

4. What strategies can I use to condense the results section?

In the results section, focus on presenting key findings that directly address your research questions or hypotheses. Use tables, graphs, and figures to summarize data efficiently, and provide concise captions and explanations. Avoid discussing the implications or interpretations of the results in this section; save those for the discussion section.

5. How do I effectively trim down the discussion and conclusion sections?

To effectively trim down the discussion and conclusion sections, focus on interpreting the key findings and their implications without reiterating detailed results. Avoid speculative statements or overgeneralizing your conclusions. Summarize the main points succinctly and ensure that each sentence adds value to the reader's understanding of your study's significance and contributions.

Back