Assume that f is a continuous, real-valued function

In summary, the author claims that if {xn} is a sequence in X converging to x, then limn→∞f(xn) = f(x). However, the author does not provide a proof.
Ric-Veda
Assume that f is a continuous, real-valued function defined on a metric space X. If {xn} is a sequence in X converging to x, prove that Limn→∞f(xn) = f(x).

Here is my attempt, but I am not sure if it is correct.

Advanced Calculus test question 4.jpg

Attachments

• Advanced Calculus test question 4.jpg
    Advanced Calculus test question 4.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 965
Physics news on Phys.org
The usual way is to use the definitions. What you need to prove is that given any ε>0, there is an N such that [itex] (\forall n>N)(\vert f(x_{n})-f(x)\vert <\epsilon)[/itex]. You do this in steps:
  • First, since f is continuous, you can find a δ...
  • Then since [itex] \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}x_{n}=x[/itex], there is an N such that...
  • Therefore...
Fill in the rest of the arguments!

Likes member 587159
Ric-Veda said:
Assume that f is a continuous, real-valued function defined on a metric space X. If {xn} is a sequence in X converging to x, prove that Limn→∞f(xn) = f(x).

Here is my attempt, but I am not sure if it is correct.

View attachment 224230

Anu proof will have to use the definition. Where did you pick an epsilon greater than 0? It is weird to pick ##n##. I suggest you follow the proof strategy suggested by @Svein, and after you are done with the proof, convince yourself that the same proof also applies where the codomain is an arbitrary metric space (i.e. change the absolute values with a distance function and look careful that you never used something else)

Here is my new solution, but I'm not sure if the graph I put is of any use, but if you can, please put up a similar graph to the one I put to help better understand.
Advanced Calculus test question 5.jpg

Attachments

• Advanced Calculus test question 5.jpg
    Advanced Calculus test question 5.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 851
Ricster55 said:
Here is my new solution, but I'm not sure if the graph I put is of any use, but if you can, please put up a similar graph to the one I put to help better understand.
View attachment 224259

Why ##\exists n_0: |f(x_n)-f(x)| < \epsilon \forall n \geq n_0##? That shouldn't be included in your proof at the beginning, unless you explicitely say that this is what you are going to prove. Also, your lack of the ##\forall x \in X## quantifier is not so good. You should include it. But for the rest, the argument seems fine.

Related to Assume that f is a continuous, real-valued function

1. What does it mean for a function to be continuous?

A continuous function is one where the output changes smoothly as the input changes. This means that there are no sudden jumps or breaks in the graph of the function. In other words, if you were to draw the graph of the function without lifting your pencil, it would be a continuous line.

2. How is continuity of a function defined mathematically?

A function f is continuous at a point a if the limit of f(x) as x approaches a exists and is equal to f(a). This means that the value of the function at a is equal to the value it approaches as x gets closer and closer to a.

3. Can a function be continuous at some points and not others?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be continuous at some points and not others. This is known as a piecewise continuous function. It means that the function may have different behaviors or rules at different intervals, but each of these intervals are continuous.

4. What is the difference between continuity and differentiability?

Continuity and differentiability are two different concepts. A function is continuous if it has no breaks or jumps, while a function is differentiable if it has a well-defined derivative at every point. In other words, a differentiable function is always continuous, but a continuous function may not necessarily be differentiable.

5. How is continuity related to the intermediate value theorem?

The intermediate value theorem states that if a continuous function f(x) takes on two different values at points a and b, then it must also take on every value in between at some point c between a and b. This theorem is only applicable to continuous functions, as it relies on the concept of a continuous graph without any breaks or jumps.