Assumptions about arrival independence

In summary, the assumption of independence about arrivals of clients at a bank is a given. Whether it is true or not depends entirely on the physics.
Mark J.
Hi

How to be mathematically correct about assumption of independence about arrivals of clients at a bank?
Physically I understand that there is no possible dependence between2 sequent arrivals of clients but anyway when I make this assumption I want to be correct according literature.

Maybe some arguments or linking to some literature?

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
The assumption of independent arrival is a given for doing the math. Whether it is true or not depends entirely on the physics.

Once you make the assumption (independence), as your question states, then you can do the math using the assumption.

My case is clients arriving in bank and I have to explain why I chose Poisson to model this process before entering in data analysis.
Can you give me any explanation on this?
Regards

As mathman said, there is no mathematical justification for assuming the arrivals to be independent. The only way to justify it is by consideration of the real world process being modeled. In fact, there are lots of good reasons why they would not be! Many go to the bank in their lunch breaks, and these tend to be synchronised. Some will arrive before the bank opens, creating an initial rush. Others have more flexibility and will pick times when they expect the queue to be short. Weather also creates bunching...
There will be ways of analysing the data to determine how closely it fits Poisson, but that was not your question.

Mark J. said:
I have to explain why I chose Poisson to model this process before entering in data analysis.

To imagine that your question has an answer, I must pretend that these are directions for an assignment in a course and not a real world problem. Thinking about it that way, you could say that we imagine a time interval to be divided up into man small bins of, say, 0.1 second duration. Relative to the numberof bins, there are few people arriving and thus a neglible probability of two people arriving simultaneously. A person who intends to arrive at time t will be affected by many independent events that hasten or delay him, so the probability of his actual arrival time is spread out over a time interval.

Such a problem is a typical exercise in mind-reading what an instructor wants you to say. It doesn't have a standard mathematical answer. Your text or instructor probably told you about the assumptions that imply a Poission process. Just go through that list of assumptions and demonstrate that you thought about whether the assumptions hold (approximately) in the case of bank customer arrivals.

Related to Assumptions about arrival independence

1. What is an assumption about arrival independence?

An assumption about arrival independence is that the arrival of one event does not affect the arrival of another event. This means that the probability of one event occurring is not affected by the occurrence of another event.

2. How does arrival independence relate to statistical analysis?

Arrival independence is an important assumption in statistical analysis, particularly in probability and statistics. It allows for the use of certain statistical methods, such as the multiplication rule and the addition rule, to calculate probabilities and make predictions.

3. What are some common examples of arrival independence?

Some common examples of arrival independence include flipping a coin and rolling a die. The outcome of one flip or roll does not affect the outcome of the next flip or roll. Other examples include drawing cards from a deck without replacement and selecting random samples from a population.

4. Why is it important to consider arrival independence in scientific research?

Considering arrival independence is important in scientific research because it allows for the use of statistical methods to draw conclusions and make predictions. If this assumption is violated, it can lead to erroneous conclusions and inaccurate predictions.

5. Can arrival independence be violated in certain situations?

Yes, arrival independence can be violated in certain situations. For example, if the events are not truly independent, or if there are external factors that affect the occurrence of the events, the assumption of arrival independence may not hold. It is important for scientists to carefully consider the context and potential factors that may impact arrival independence in their research.