Astronomy, Intensity from Given Flux

In summary, the conversation discusses a light source with uniform intensity within a circle of diameter 3 arcmin on the sky. The flux of radiation reaching the observer is 10^(-16) erg cm^(-2) s^(-1), and the task is to calculate the intensity of the light from this source. Relevant equations include F = Integral (d\omega)cos\theta and flux as watts per unit area. The area of a circle with 1.5 arcmin radius can be used to find the intensity, but the distance is needed to calculate the flux.
jmm5872
A light source has uniform intensity I(with respect to wavelength) within a
circle of diameter 3 arcmin on the sky. The flux of radiation reaching the observer is
10^(−16) erg cm^(−2) s^(−1). Calculate the intensity of the light from this source.

Relevent Equations:

This is where my confusion comes in, I'm not really sure what the relavant equations are. The only equation I have found in the textbook is this:

F = Integral (d[tex]\omega[/tex])cos[tex]\theta[/tex]

(I can't seem to get the latex to work correctly, I hope this makes sense as is).

I also know flux is watts per unit area, but I'm new to this on the astronomy side. I also know an erg is 10^-7 Ws. How would I use the 3 arcmin, would I find the area of a circle with 1.5 arcmin radius? Don't you need the distance to be able to calculate the flux? Any hints to get started would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
The flux should be the integral over the angular area (sterradians) of the intensity. Since the intensity is claimed to be constant, presumably you can divide the flux by the angular area to obtain the uniform intensity.

FAQ: Astronomy, Intensity from Given Flux

1. What is the relationship between intensity and flux in astronomy?

In astronomy, intensity is the amount of energy received from a source per unit area per unit time. Flux, on the other hand, is the total amount of energy emitted by a source per unit area per unit time. The relationship between intensity and flux is that intensity is directly proportional to flux, meaning an increase in flux will result in an increase in intensity.

2. How is intensity from given flux measured in astronomy?

In astronomy, intensity from given flux is typically measured in units of watts per square meter (W/m²). This unit of measurement represents the amount of energy received from a source per unit area per unit time.

3. What factors can affect the intensity of a flux in astronomy?

There are several factors that can affect the intensity of a flux in astronomy, including the distance between the source and the observer, the size and temperature of the source, and any intervening materials that may absorb or scatter the flux.

4. How can intensity and flux be used to study astronomical objects?

Intensity and flux measurements are crucial in studying astronomical objects as they provide information about the energy emitted by the object. By analyzing the intensity and flux, scientists can determine the temperature, composition, and other properties of the object.

5. Can intensity and flux be used to compare different astronomical objects?

Yes, intensity and flux can be used to compare different astronomical objects. By measuring the intensity and flux of different objects, scientists can determine the relative brightness and energy output of each object, providing valuable insights into their nature and behavior.