How can I solve a spectroscopic eclipsing binary system problem?

In summary, the individual is struggling with a problem and seeking help with a question related to a spectroscopic eclipsing binary system found on the 4th page of a PDF document. They have also provided a link to another page with the answer and need assistance before an upcoming astronomy competition. A possible solution involves determining the part of the electromagnetic spectrum the light is from and whether the star is red or blue shifted.
Soylentgreen
i have been trying to do this problem for an hour and i have no clue what to do for it... please help me

It's on the 4th page down and it is called "Spectroscopic eclipsing Binary System"

htt p://www.tufts.edu/as/wright_center/fellows/sci_olympiad/Spok_2000_C_Instrcs_&_Quests.pdf

this page has the answer to it:

htt p://www.tufts.edu/as/wright_center/fellows/sci_olympiad/Spok_2000_Rch_Strs_Answr_Key.pdf

i need help before sunday, cause that is when my astronomy competition is. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok I am no expert but perhaps I can help a little. From the wavelengths determine which part of the electromagnetic spectrum the light is then you can see if the star is red shifted or blue shifted ie moving away or nearer.

Hi there,

I understand your frustration with this problem. Astronomy spectroscopic binary systems can be complex and difficult to understand at first. However, with some guidance, I am sure you will be able to solve this problem.

Firstly, let's define what a spectroscopic binary system is. It is a system where two stars orbit around each other, but they are too close together to be seen as individual stars. Instead, they appear as one single star to the naked eye. However, by using spectroscopy, we can analyze the light from this star and see that it is actually two stars, based on the different wavelengths of light they emit.

Now, looking at the problem on the 4th page, it seems that you are asked to calculate the mass of one of the stars in this spectroscopic binary system. To do this, you will need to use the mass-luminosity relation, which states that the mass and luminosity of a star are directly proportional.

The given information in the problem is the orbital period (P) of the system, which is the time it takes for the stars to complete one orbit around each other. You will also need the total mass (M) of the system, which is given in the answer key (link provided).

To calculate the mass of one star (m), you can use the formula:

m = M * (P/2π)^2

Where P is in years and M is in solar masses. This will give you the mass of one of the stars in the system.

I hope this helps you in solving the problem. If you need further clarification or assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out. All the best for your competition on Sunday!

Related to How can I solve a spectroscopic eclipsing binary system problem?

1. What is an Astronomical Spectroscopic Binary?

An astronomical spectroscopic binary is a pair of stars that orbit each other and can be detected through variations in their spectral lines. These variations occur as a result of the Doppler effect, which causes the wavelengths of the stars' spectral lines to shift as they move towards or away from Earth.

2. How are Astronomical Spectroscopic Binaries detected?

Astronomical spectroscopic binaries are detected through the use of spectroscopy, which involves analyzing the light emitted by stars. By measuring the shifts in the spectral lines of a star, scientists can determine if it is part of a binary system and gather information about its orbit and companion.

3. What can we learn from studying Astronomical Spectroscopic Binaries?

Studying astronomical spectroscopic binaries can provide valuable information about the masses, sizes, and orbits of the stars in the system. It can also help scientists understand stellar evolution and the effects of gravity on celestial bodies.

4. How common are Astronomical Spectroscopic Binaries?

Astronomical spectroscopic binaries are relatively common, with estimates suggesting that around half of all stars in the Milky Way may be part of a binary system. However, not all of these systems can be detected using spectroscopy.

5. Can Astronomical Spectroscopic Binaries be seen with the naked eye?

Some astronomical spectroscopic binaries may be visible to the naked eye, depending on the brightness and proximity of the stars in the system. However, most can only be detected with the use of telescopes and spectroscopic equipment.