Astrophysics Minor for Aerospace Engineering Majors - Coursework & Difficulty

In summary: I learned a large fraction of my advanced astronomy from there too).In summary, an undergraduate major or minor in astrophysics may be an option for those pursuing an aerospace engineering degree, as long as they have the necessary prerequisites. Coursework usually includes courses on stellar structures, cosmology, modern physics, analytical mechanics, and possibly planetary science. The recommended textbook for these courses is "An Introduction to Modern Astrophysics" by Carroll and Ostlie.
physicsCU
I am an aerospace engineering major.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how that would work? Course work involved, how hard it is?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
physicsCU said:
I am an aerospace engineering major.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how that would work? Course work involved, how hard it is?

Where I went there was no option for an astrophysics minor, so I'm not sure what it would entail. I suspect, however, that your aerospace training would give you a lot of the necessary background in math and physics. In the absence of any other information, I'd say go for it, but I don't have a lot to go with here.

Isn't astrophysics just a specialization of physics? So wouldn't you have to go to Grad School and get a ph.d. specifically in astrophysics?

PL

since i graduated with a degree in Honours Neural Computation & Minor in Astrophysics I may be able to help...I took it at McMaster which has some premier researchers in the field.

Lets see there were 8 courses in total(2 first year...so hopefully you'll have 6 electives)
the 2 most important courses would be
[0] stellar structures(how a star evolves and the "star map" can't remember the name but it describes the evolution of the star path...oh hell i have the book infront of me..main sequence table..>REALLLY COOL
and
[1] Cosmology the study of evolution of galaxies and multistar systems ..nebulas,blackholes, physics metric systems ...sorry its be quite a long time so i don't remeber those systesm...blah blah...

THE WONDERFUL TEXT I USED WAS ostlie and carrolls so you may just want to buy it and screw taking the minor...but anyways the other 4 courses, all
2year courses in thermo...E&M...analytical mechanics...shoot can't remmeber the last one...oh some type of modern physics course(ie quantum/statistical mechanics)

..since your in the aerospace programme i assume you've taken thermo and E&M.

SO you'll only need 4 courses(unless they want a total of 8...so check out the number of electives)
[0]Stellar structures
[1]Cosmology
[2]Modern physics
[3]Analytical mechanics
OH and i forgot the 1st year astronomy course may be requirement

ALSO some programmes may require a planetary course.

As for the coursework...easy as pie...well the way Dr.Pudritz taught both class..highly interesting(i wrote a project paper on wormholes) and mathematically technical...but pretty easy. Guess it depends on your grade goal i got B+ and A in the two astrophysics course. Mostly you do math describe reactions and processes.

All else fails just take the astrophysics courses if you ahve the prerequistes..thats what i did(by permission of the prof) then i took the other ones after.
best

Last edited:
neurocomp2003 said:
THE WONDERFUL TEXT I USED WAS ostlie and carrolls

I've never read Ostlie & Carroll, but Carroll & Ostlie is an excellent book. Here's a web page for the two:

http://departments.weber.edu/astrophysics/

Isn't astrophysics just a specialization of physics? So wouldn't you have to go to Grad School and get a ph.d. specifically in astrophysics?

This is true in some schools, but many offer an undergrad major (or even minor) in astrophysics.

Last edited by a moderator:
SpaceTiger: heh what's teh difference between ostlie & carroll and carroll & Ostlie! NOTHING hehe...i miss ordered teh authors but meh its still the same book...

bah never mind I just saw the link and there are two books with different orders of the author. But they are the same 1/2 content on Stellar physics. The blue book has only the stellar chapters while the ORANGE book has both the stellar adn cosmo(galactic evolution stuff)...

i have the orange book and i love it for its light reading(the paragraphs) but extensive technical math stuff. Its a beautifucl book I'm glad Dr. Pudritz made me by it.

Last edited:
neurocomp2003 said:
i have the orange book and i love it for its light reading(the paragraphs) but extensive technical math stuff. Its a beautifucl book I'm glad Dr. Pudritz made me by it.

BOB (Big Orange Book) is famed amongst astronomy undergrads. I learned a large fraction of my basic astronomy from there.

Related to Astrophysics Minor for Aerospace Engineering Majors - Coursework & Difficulty

1. What is the difference between astrophysics and aerospace engineering?

Astrophysics is a branch of physics that studies the properties and behavior of celestial objects and phenomena, while aerospace engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design and development of aircraft and spacecraft. While there may be some overlap in the subjects studied, the focus and applications of these fields are distinct.

2. Why should aerospace engineering majors consider a minor in astrophysics?

A minor in astrophysics can provide aerospace engineering majors with a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles of physics and how they apply to the study of space. This can be beneficial for those interested in pursuing a career in the space industry or conducting research in related fields.

3. What kind of coursework is typically included in an astrophysics minor for aerospace engineering majors?

The specific coursework may vary between universities, but common courses for an astrophysics minor may include topics such as celestial mechanics, cosmology, astrophysics, and space instrumentation. Some universities may also offer elective courses in specific areas of interest, such as planetary science or astrophysical research methods.

4. Is an astrophysics minor difficult for aerospace engineering majors?

The difficulty of an astrophysics minor for aerospace engineering majors will depend on the individual's academic strengths and interests. While the coursework may be challenging, those with a strong background in mathematics and physics may find it more manageable. It is important to consult with an academic advisor to determine if an astrophysics minor is a feasible option.

5. How can an astrophysics minor benefit an aerospace engineering career?

An astrophysics minor can provide a unique and valuable skillset for those pursuing a career in aerospace engineering. It can enhance critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as provide a deeper understanding of the physical principles behind space technology. This can make individuals more competitive in the job market and open up opportunities for future research and development in the space industry.