Astrophysics -What actually is this?

• Thread starter !Live_4Ever!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Astrophysics
In summary, Astronomy is the study of celestial objects and their behavior while Astrophysics is the study of the objects, their nature, and their behavior.
!Live_4Ever!
I was wonderiong what actually this field is, is it Astronomy with more math and physics? Or is it relevant to the Big Bang and Quantum physics?

Just wondering

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The distinction between astrophysics and astronomy is sort of a matter of taste. Astronomy was originally more concerned with observation, while astrophysics has its emphasis on theory. Big bang is a phenomenom, where the theory is astrophysics and the observational evidence (cosmic microwave background, etc.) is astronomy. Quantum physics is a branch of physics used by astrophysicists in describing many differenent phenomena, such as how stars shine to supernova events as well as the big bang.

I was going to say that just off the top of my head I'd say that astronomy is the science of merely recording celestial observations and cataloging objects, while astrophysics is the study of what those objects are, what they are made of, and how they behave.

I would go further to say that virtually all astronomers today are astrophysicists as well. Even Dr. Margaret Geller who has focused on the study of mapping the large scale structure of the universe is considered to be an astrophysicist rather than just an astronomer. Of course, she is also deeply involved with considering physical explanations of what might have caused the discovered structure to have evolved.

Just for fun I Googled "Astronomy vs. Astrophysics" and found a short article from Penn State that supports my personal take on these definitions.

http://www.pserie.psu.edu/academic/science/degrees/astronomy/astrophysics.htm"

From that ariticle:
Today, everyone who practices astronomy professionally is considered to be an astrophysicist, and typically has an undergraduate background in physics or a related discipline.
So in a sense you could say that today there really isn't any difference between the two words, but historically astronomy was concerned more with just mapping and cataloging observations.

Just for kicks here's a link to a site that talks about Geller's work in mapping the universe. She is a true Astronomer/Astrophysicist. :approve:

[url=" http://www.realtruthmag.org/articles/july-mtu.html]Mapping the Universe[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy is the all-encompassing term. Astrophysics is one aspect of astronomy. Other categories can include cosmology, planetary science, observational astronomy, etc. etc. And there's overlap among the categories.

Good question, and unfortunately I don't think a definitive answer exists. It's funny the difference in reaction I get when I tell people I'm an "astronomer" vs. telling them I'm an "astrophysicist". The latter usually stops the conversation.

Pretty much anything physics ends a conversation, unless its another physicist.

Probably before 1900, astronomy was pretty much observation and the theory was confined to classical mechanics. With observation one builds models and confirms theories.

With the advent of relativity, nuclear/particle physics and quantum mechanics, the field of astronomy/astrophysics exploded. Now one could begin to understand stars on a different level. Then new phenomena like quasars were discovered. Then black holes . . . .

Astronuc said:
Pretty much anything physics ends a conversation, unless its another physicist.

Probably before 1900, astronomy was pretty much observation and the theory was confined to classical mechanics. With observation one builds models and confirms theories.

With the advent of relativity, nuclear/particle physics and quantum mechanics, the field of astronomy/astrophysics exploded. Now one could begin to understand stars on a different level. Then new phenomena like quasars were discovered. Then black holes . . . .

Isn't relativity part of classical mechanics? :confused:

Sorry if i am too skeptical..

Bladibla said:
Isn't relativity part of classical mechanics? :confused:

Sorry if i am too skeptical..

Classical mechanics is Newton's mechanics.

Anyway, they sometimes say you need a good telescope to be a good astronomer and good mathematical skills to be an astrophysicist :wink:

FAQ: Astrophysics -What actually is this?

1. What is astrophysics?

Astrophysics is a branch of astronomy that focuses on the physical properties and processes of celestial objects, such as stars, planets, galaxies, and the universe as a whole. It combines principles from physics, mathematics, and chemistry to study the behavior and evolution of these objects.

2. How is astrophysics different from astronomy?

Astronomy is the broader field that encompasses the study of celestial objects and phenomena, while astrophysics specifically focuses on the physical aspects and underlying principles of these objects. In other words, astrophysics is a more specialized and in-depth study of the universe compared to astronomy.

3. What are some areas of research in astrophysics?

Some common areas of research in astrophysics include cosmology, the study of the origin and evolution of the universe; stellar astrophysics, which focuses on the properties and behavior of stars; planetary science, the study of planets and their formation; and galactic and extragalactic astrophysics, which examines the structure and behavior of galaxies and the objects within them.

4. How does astrophysics contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Astrophysics helps us understand the physical laws and processes that govern the behavior of celestial objects, as well as how these objects interact with each other. By studying the universe on a large scale, astrophysicists can also gain insights into the origins and evolution of our own planet and solar system.

5. What are some practical applications of astrophysics?

Astrophysics has many practical applications, including the development of technologies for space exploration and communication, the study of climate change and its impact on Earth, and the search for habitable planets outside of our solar system. Additionally, many advancements in our understanding of the universe have led to innovations in fields like medicine, engineering, and materials science.