Asymmetric Line Charge Voltage

In summary, an asymmetric line charge voltage is an uneven distribution of electrical charge along a line, which can have various effects on electrical systems. It differs from a symmetric line charge voltage, which has an equal distribution of charge. Factors such as line geometry, nearby conductors, and material type can contribute to its generation. To mitigate its effects, techniques such as adjusting line geometry, using shielding or grounding, and proper design and maintenance can be employed.
PlatoDescartes

Homework Statement

A line of charge with a non-uniform charge density lambda=ay, where a=−34.00 nC/m^2 lies along the y axis in the region 0≤y2.90 m. Calculate the electric potential of this line of charge at point P on the x axis a distance 0.80 m from the origin. Assume the potential equals zero at infinity.

The given picture is of a line of charge along the y axis, of h length, with a point charge P, d=0.8m distance away from the line of charge.

Homework Equations

∆V = VB −VA = the negative integral E dl from a to b where
E=-dV
dV=kdQ/r
dQ=lambdadl[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

To start, I used dQ=lamdadl=34nC/m^2 (y)dl. I substituted this in for dQ in dV, which I substituted into E in the integral. From there, I end up with the integral of k(34 x 10^-9)ydy/.8 from 0 to 2.9. Solving this equation though does not yield the correct answer and therefore I would appreciate some assistance.

CORRECTION: The above work is an attempt to find the total charge, which was not clearly stated beforehand. Sorry.[/B]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
PlatoDescartes said:

Homework Statement

A line of charge with a non-uniform charge density lambda=ay, where a=−34[PLAIN]http://lc1.mines.edu/adm/jsMath/fonts/cmmi10/alpha/100/char3A.png00 nC[PLAIN]http://lc1.mines.edu/adm/jsMath/fonts/cmmi10/alpha/100/char3D.pngm^2 lies along the y axis in the region 0<y<2[PLAIN]http://lc1.mines.edu/adm/jsMath/fonts/cmmi10/alpha/100/char3A.png90 m. Calculate the electric potential of this line of charge at point P on the x axis a distance 0.80 m from the origin. Assume the potential equals zero at infinity

Homework Equations

∆V = VB −VA = the negative integral E dl from a to b where
E=-dV
dV=kdQ/r
dQ=lambdadl[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

To start, I used dQ=lamdadl=34nC/m^2 (y)dl. I substituted this in for dQ in dV, which I substituted into E in the integral. From there, I end up with the integral of k(34 x 10^-9)ydy/.8 from 0 to 2.9. Solving this equation though does not yield the correct answer and therefore I would appreciate some assistance. [/B]
We cannot usually tell where you went wrong if you do not post your working.

Last edited by a moderator:
haruspex said:
We cannot usually tell where you went wrong if you do not post your working.

I apologize for evidently not being clear enough.
I used the equations that I stated in the relevant equations and, substituting information as stated in the attempt at a solution, and came up with ∫(k(34*10^-9)ydy)/.8 which, before being evaluated from 0 to 2.9, equals k(34*10^-9)y^2/2, with a final answer of 1606.6C, which is incorrect. Is that not enough of an explanation..?

PlatoDescartes said:
CORRECTION: The above work is an attempt to find the total charge,
That explains why I thought there was a lot more working to show. The question asks for a potential.
PlatoDescartes said:
came up with ∫(k(34*10^-9)ydy)/.8
Now I'm really confused. Why do you care about k or the distance to P if you are only trying to calculate the total charge?
Looks like you are intending to treat all the charge as though it is located at the origin, but it isn't.
For the element dy, what potential does it create at P?

haruspex said:
That explains why I thought there was a lot more working to show. The question asks for a potential.

Now I'm really confused. Why do you care about k or the distance to P if you are only trying to calculate the total charge?
Looks like you are intending to treat all the charge as though it is located at the origin, but it isn't.
For the element dy, what potential does it create at P?

Yup, I was pathetically and ridiculously confused too; my error lied in misreading problem statements. I am very sorry about that. To find total charge, dQ=λdl, which in this case dQ=-34*10^-9ydy. Integrate with respect to y from 0 to 2.9 and you get -34*10^-9(2.9^2)/2, which yields the correct answer.

If you can bear with me for another question, :frown: I want to double check how to find the electric potential of the line of charge at point P (distance .8m along x axis). For this, I would use kq/r, but would I still need to use integration after having found q?

PlatoDescartes said:
I would use kq/r, but would I still need to use integration after having found q?
Not entirely sure what you mean by that.
By "having found q", you seem to be referring to total charge. That is of no use in trying to find the potential at P because the various bits of the charge are at different distances from P. You need to start again with the charge in an element dy, find what that contributes to the potential at P, and integrate that.

haruspex said:
Not entirely sure what you mean by that.
By "having found q", you seem to be referring to total charge. That is of no use in trying to find the potential at P because the various bits of the charge are at different distances from P. You need to start again with the charge in an element dy, find what that contributes to the potential at P, and integrate that.
I understand. Thanks for your help.

FAQ: Asymmetric Line Charge Voltage

1. What is an asymmetric line charge voltage?

An asymmetric line charge voltage refers to a type of electrical potential that is generated by an uneven distribution of electrical charge along a line. This type of voltage can arise in various situations, such as in transmission lines or in electronic circuits.

2. How is an asymmetric line charge voltage different from a symmetric one?

A symmetric line charge voltage has an equal distribution of electrical charge along a line, while an asymmetric line charge voltage has an uneven distribution. This difference can affect the behavior and performance of electrical systems.

3. What factors can cause an asymmetric line charge voltage?

There are several factors that can contribute to the generation of an asymmetric line charge voltage, such as the geometry of the line, the presence of nearby conductors, and the type of material used in the line. These factors can result in an uneven distribution of charge, leading to an asymmetric voltage.

4. How does an asymmetric line charge voltage impact electrical systems?

An asymmetric line charge voltage can have various effects on electrical systems, depending on the specific application. In some cases, it can lead to power loss, voltage fluctuations, and interference with other devices. It can also affect the overall efficiency and performance of the system.

5. How can an asymmetric line charge voltage be mitigated?

There are several techniques that can be used to mitigate the effects of an asymmetric line charge voltage, such as adjusting the geometry of the line, using shielding or grounding techniques, and selecting appropriate materials. Additionally, proper design and maintenance of electrical systems can help minimize the impact of asymmetric line charge voltage.

Back