Asymmetries -vs- Differences in xsecs

• Thread starter virtual_image
  • Start date
In summary, the key measurements for asymmetries and cross section differences are different, and the benefits of using each method depend on what you are trying to accomplish.
virtual_image
Hi, I was asked today about the difference between asymmetries and 'differences in the corresponding cross sections'. Can anyone help me with this? Also, what are the key measurements needed to calculate asymmetries (BSA, BCA, TTSA etc) and what measurements are needed to calculate the differences in the cross-sections?

e.g. F1, F2, electric charge etc

I'd be interested in comparing the measurements needed for each to see where they differ

Physics news on Phys.org
virtual_image said:
Hi, I was asked today about the difference between asymmetries and 'differences in the corresponding cross sections'. Can anyone help me with this?
I don't know if what I'm going to tell you is trivial : the all point of asymetries as compared with cross section is that efficiencies and acceptances for detection cancel in the ratio, making asymetries so much easier to measure. Except for that, there is a common misconception that the denominator is not important, or constant in each single bin, but it is often not the case, and knowledge of cross section difference is more valuable than just asymetries.

Thanks,

the discussion I was having was about the two differing approaches that different physicists use. It was brought up that some use the asymmetries and others use the cross section differences.

What I was wondering was what are the benefits of using each. For example, in the BCA case (say), are there less things needed to be calculate to work out the asymmetries or cross sectional differences?

It was suggested I make a table of all quantities required to compare both methods. e.g do both require F1 and/or F2 to be extracted? which CFF's etc

virtual_image said:
What I was wondering was what are the benefits of using each. For example, in the BCA case (say), are there less things needed to be calculate to work out the asymmetries or cross sectional differences?
If you want to calculate asymetries, you mostly just make the ratio of the number of counts. If you want to calculate the cross section, you have to worry about the efficiencies, acceptances, and all normalizations that can appear. It is very clear that if you know the numerator and the denominator separately, you know more than if you just know the ratio. This is not even specific to physics.

So it all depends on what you want to do exactly. And it is here it gets technical.
It was suggested I make a table of all quantities required to compare both methods. e.g do both require F1 and/or F2 to be extracted? which CFF's etc
I guess you are talking about Dirac and Pauli form factors F1 and F2. They are usually determined from a Rosenbluth separation of electric and magnetic Sachs FFs. This amounts to measure the cross section at fixed angle and different Q2.

But what are CFF's ? Compton Form Factors ?

Last edited:
Yeah Compton Form Factors

Cheers for the reply

virtual_image said:
Compton Form Factors
Compton Form Factors appear in various contexts however, so it is difficult to tell you more without further information.

Assuming you are working on DVCS for instance, I can tell you that extracting GPDs from asymetries is not an easy task. At least in a model independent manner.

FAQ: Asymmetries -vs- Differences in xsecs

1. What is the difference between asymmetry and difference in cross sections?

Asymmetry and difference in cross sections are both measures used in science to describe the relationship between two variables. Asymmetry refers to the lack of symmetry or balance between two sides, while difference in cross sections refers to the variation or discrepancy between two measured quantities.

2. How are asymmetry and difference in cross sections calculated?

Asymmetry is typically calculated by taking the difference between the two sides and dividing it by their sum. Difference in cross sections is calculated by subtracting one value from the other.

3. What do asymmetry and difference in cross sections tell us about a system?

Asymmetry and difference in cross sections can provide insight into the underlying processes and dynamics of a system. They can reveal any imbalances or variations that may exist, and can help identify patterns or trends that may be present.

4. Can asymmetry and difference in cross sections be used to compare different systems?

Yes, asymmetry and difference in cross sections can be used to compare different systems as they are relative measures that can be applied to any data set. However, it is important to consider the context and limitations of the comparison.

5. How do asymmetry and difference in cross sections impact scientific research?

Asymmetry and difference in cross sections are important concepts in scientific research as they can help identify and quantify differences and relationships between variables. They can also provide valuable information for developing and testing hypotheses, as well as informing future studies and experiments.

Back