Asymptotic analysis to the WKB approx

In summary, the user is working on finding asymptotic solutions for a complex equation involving u_{+}. They are using expressions for p and M in their calculations and are confused about the presence of M in the broken down solutions. It is necessary to substitute the expressions for p and M in the equation to find the solutions, and both variables will still be present in the final solutions as they are related and cannot be separated completely.
pleasehelpmeno
Hi i have the WKB approx of:
[itex]u_{+} = \sqrt{1-\frac{bm}{f}}e^{i\int f_{k} dt} + \sqrt{1+\frac{bm}{f}}e^{-i\int f_{k} dt}[/itex]

to the differential equation:
[itex]\frac{d^{2}u_{+}}{dt^2} + [f_{k}^{2} + i(\frac{d(bm)}{dt})]u_{+} =0[/itex]

This equation can be written as:
[itex]\frac{d^{2}u_{+}}{dN^2} + [p^2 - i + M^2]u_{+} =0[/itex]

by using [itex]p=\frac{k}{\sqrt{\frac{\partial x}{\partial t}Cb_{*}(t_{*1})}}[/itex] and [itex]M=\sqrt{\frac{\partial x}{\partial t}Cb_{*}(t_{*1})}(t-t_{*})^{2}[/itex]

How to i find the asymptotic solutions for when [itex]M\rightarrow \pm ∞ [/itex] do i need to sub in using: [itex]f^{2}_{k}=k^2 + b^2(t_{*1})(\frac{\partial x}{\partial t}|_{*1})^2 (t-t_{*})^2 [/itex] and the above and then take the limit for M, i am a bit confused though because the broken down solutions :
[itex] \sqrt{1+\frac{bm}{f}}\rightarrow \sqrt{2} [/itex]
[itex]\sqrt{1-\frac{bm}{f}}\rightarrow \frac{p}{-\sqrt{2}M} [/itex]
[itex]e^{+i\int f_{k}dt}\rightarrow (\frac{p}{-2M})^{\frac{ip}{2}}e^{-\frac{iM^2}{2}}e^{\frac{-ip^2}{4}}\pm [/itex]

contain M but surely that is [itex]M\rightarrow \pm ∞ [/itex] so why is it there?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. It seems like you are working on a complex and interesting problem. To find the asymptotic solutions for when M\rightarrow \pm ∞, you will indeed need to substitute the expressions for p and M that you have derived into the equation. This will give you a new equation that can be solved for u_{+}.

The broken down solutions that you have mentioned do contain M, but they also contain p. As you take the limit for M, p will also approach a certain value. Therefore, the expressions for u_{+} will still contain both M and p. This is because these variables are related and cannot be separated completely.

I hope this helps clarify your confusion. Keep up the good work on your research. Good luck!

Related to Asymptotic analysis to the WKB approx

1. What is asymptotic analysis in relation to the WKB approximation?

Asymptotic analysis is a mathematical method used to approximate the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value or limit. In the context of the WKB approximation, it is used to estimate the behavior of solutions to a differential equation as the independent variable approaches infinity.

2. Why is the WKB approximation important in scientific research?

The WKB approximation is commonly used in various fields of science, such as physics and engineering, to solve differential equations that arise in many real-world problems. It provides a simple and efficient way to approximate solutions to these equations, making it a valuable tool in scientific research.

3. How is the WKB approximation different from other methods of solving differential equations?

The WKB approximation is different from other methods, such as numerical or analytical solutions, in that it is an asymptotic approximation rather than an exact solution. This means that it provides a good estimate of the behavior of the solution, but may not be completely accurate.

4. What are the limitations of the WKB approximation?

The WKB approximation is not suitable for all types of differential equations. It works best for equations that have a large parameter or variable, which can be used to define an asymptotic expansion. Additionally, it may not provide accurate results for equations with rapidly oscillating solutions.

5. Can the WKB approximation be improved upon?

Yes, there are various improvements and extensions to the WKB approximation, such as the WKBJ method and the JWKB approximation, which can provide better estimates for certain types of differential equations. Additionally, other methods, such as perturbation theory, can be used in conjunction with the WKB approximation to improve its accuracy.