Asymptotic Expansion: First 2 Terms for Integral

• Thread starter the_kid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expansion
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the first two terms in an asymptotic expansion of an integral as x goes to zero from the right. The suggestion is to expand the integrand as a Taylor series and then rewrite the integral with a limit as t goes to zero. The conversation ends with a suggestion to expand the terms of the sum in the integral.
the_kid

Homework Statement

Find the first two terms in an asymptotic expansion of the following as x goes to zero from the right (i.e. takes on smaller and smaller positive values).

[itex]\int^{1}_{0}[/itex]e[itex]^{-x/t}[/itex]dt

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not exactly sure how to proceed with this. I'm assuming I should expand the integrand as a Taylor series:

e[itex]^{-x/t}[/itex]=[itex]\sum^{\infty}_{k=0}[/itex][itex]\frac{(-x/t)^{k}}{k!}[/itex]

I'm kinda stuck here, though.

Physics news on Phys.org
Notice you start having problems as t goes to zero... you should re-write your integral with a limit and then I think it would be best to actually expand the terms of your sum this time.

Zondrina said:
Notice you start having problems as t goes to zero... you should re-write your integral with a limit and then I think it would be best to actually expand the terms of your sum this time.

lim[itex]_{a\rightarrow0^{+}}[/itex][itex]\int^{a}_{0}[/itex](1-[itex]\frac{x}{t}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{x^{2}}{2t^{2}}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{x^{3}}{6t^{3}}[/itex]+[itex]\cdots[/itex])dt

Like this? Hmm...

FAQ: Asymptotic Expansion: First 2 Terms for Integral

1. What is an asymptotic expansion?

An asymptotic expansion is a series expansion for a function that is valid for large values of its argument. It is an approximation that becomes more accurate as the argument approaches infinity.

2. What are the first two terms in an asymptotic expansion?

The first two terms in an asymptotic expansion are typically the dominant and subdominant terms, which provide the main behavior and next level of detail, respectively.

3. How is an asymptotic expansion useful?

An asymptotic expansion is useful for approximating a function for large values of its argument, as it can provide a simpler and more manageable expression compared to the original function.

4. Can an asymptotic expansion be used for any function?

No, an asymptotic expansion can only be used for functions that have a specific behavior for large values of their argument. It is important to check the assumptions and conditions for the validity of an asymptotic expansion before using it.

5. Can an asymptotic expansion be extended to more terms?

Yes, an asymptotic expansion can be extended to include more terms for a more accurate approximation. However, as the number of terms increases, the complexity of the expression also increases.