Asymptotic form of Fourier type integral

In summary, the problem with trying to calculate an approximate form of F(\lambda) for very small |\lambda| is that the integrand is not integrable.
bruno67
I have an integral like

[tex]F(\lambda)=\int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{i\lambda x} f(x) dx,[/tex]
where [itex]\lambda[/itex] is a real parameter and [itex]f(x)[/itex] is an integrable function of x. I am looking for a method to calculate an approximate form of [itex]F(\lambda)[/itex] for very small [itex]|\lambda|[/itex]. Methods like stationary phases or steepest descent can sometimes be used to calculate similar asymptotic expressions for large values of the parameter, but I am not sure how to proceed in case [itex]\lambda[/itex] is small.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
A couple of ideas:

You could try changing variables. For example, letting [itex]y = \lambda x[/itex] gives

[tex]F(\lambda) = \frac{1}{\lambda}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dy e^{iy} f\left(\frac{y}{\lambda}\right).[/tex]

If you know the large argument asymptotics of f(x), you could then expand f(y/lambda) in an asymptotic series and hopefully the resulting integrals for that are simpler. There is an issue with the y = 0 contribution to the integral - however, since it's just a point I don't think it contributes.

The other option is to expand

[tex]F(\lambda) \approx F(0) + F'(0)\lambda[/tex]

where

[tex]F(0) = \int_{-\infty}^\infty dx~f(x)[/tex]
[tex]F'(0) = i\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dx~x f(x)[/tex]

This assumes of course that you can do these integrals and that they exist.

Thanks, but the problem with the first suggestion is that f(x) only admits a Taylor expansion for large values of its argument, so the expansion of [itex]f(y/\lambda)[/itex] is not integrable from [itex]-\infty[/itex] to [itex]+\infty[/itex]. To give its exact form, f(x) is given by

[tex]f(x)=\frac{(a^2+x^2)^{-b}}{x+ic},[/tex]
where [itex]a,b,c>0[/itex] and [itex]b<<1[/itex].

Unfortunately the second suggestion doesn't work either, since [itex]x f(x)[/itex] is not integrable.

bruno67 said:
Thanks, but the problem with the first suggestion is that f(x) only admits a Taylor expansion for large values of its argument, so the expansion of [itex]f(y/\lambda)[/itex] is not integrable from [itex]-\infty[/itex] to [itex]+\infty[/itex]. To give its exact form, f(x) is given by

[tex]f(x)=\frac{(a^2+x^2)^{-b}}{x+ic},[/tex]
where [itex]a,b,c>0[/itex] and [itex]b<<1[/itex].

The expansion you would need to do is a large-argument expansion, because y/lambda would be large. It looks like the leading contribution from a large y/lambda expansion would be [itex](\lambda/y)^{1-2b}[/itex], although wolframalpha claims the Fourier transform of that is zero for 0 < Re(b) < 1/2. Hopefully the leading correction to the asymptotic series for [itex]f(y/\lambda)[/itex] is non-zero and integrable.

Unfortunately the second suggestion doesn't work either, since [itex]x f(x)[/itex] is not integrable.

Yes, if [itex]F(\lambda)[/itex] is not an analytic function of lambda, this won't work.

Mute said:
The expansion you would need to do is a large-argument expansion, because y/lambda would be large. It looks like the leading contribution from a large y/lambda expansion would be [itex](\lambda/y)^{1-2b}[/itex], although wolframalpha claims the Fourier transform of that is zero for 0 < Re(b) < 1/2. Hopefully the leading correction to the asymptotic series for [itex]f(y/\lambda)[/itex] is non-zero and integrable.

I am probably missing something but, [itex]y/\lambda[/itex] is not large on the whole interval of integration: no matter how small [itex]\lambda[/itex] is, there will always be an interval around [itex]y=0[/itex] over which [itex]y/\lambda[/itex] is small. In this particular case, the Taylor expansion of the integrand is only valid for large enough [itex]y/\lambda[/itex]; to be exact, for [itex]y/\lambda>\max(a,c)[/itex]. Even if we wanted to integrate this expansion, the leading term, which I think is actually [itex](y/\lambda)^{-1-2b}[/itex], is not integrable over [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex], due to its behavior near the origin.

Whether you can use stationary phase/steepest descent depends on the derivatives of f(x) in relation to lambda. You might still be able to use it.

What's your f?

Antiphon said:
Whether you can use stationary phase/steepest descent depends on the derivatives of f(x) in relation to lambda. You might still be able to use it.

What's your f?
Hi, my f is
[tex]f(x)=\frac{(a^2+x^2)^{-b}}{x+ic}.[/tex]

For some rational values of b you might find a closed form solution via complex contour integration.

My gut tells me you are going to see the gamma function and simple confluent hypergeometric functions but only for some b.

Have you got access to a copy of Gradshteyn & Ryzhik? Or Abramowitz & Stegun? Your library should have these, and frankly so should you.

Also, you could do a Taylor series using the first two or three terms of the exponential, leave f(x) as it is. You will probably find closed form integrals for those, especially in the two references I gave.

b is usually not rational, and I don't think it's possible to solve this integral by contour integration for irrational b. Expanding the exponential in a Taylor series doesn't work, unfortunately (see posts 3-4).

Related to Asymptotic form of Fourier type integral

What is the asymptotic form of a Fourier type integral?

The asymptotic form of a Fourier type integral is a mathematical expression that describes the behavior of the integral as the independent variable approaches a certain limit. It is often used to approximate the value of the integral for large values of the independent variable.

What is the significance of the asymptotic form of a Fourier type integral?

The asymptotic form of a Fourier type integral is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of the integral for large values of the independent variable, which can be useful in many applications. It also helps us to approximate the value of the integral without having to evaluate it directly.

How is the asymptotic form of a Fourier type integral calculated?

The asymptotic form of a Fourier type integral can be calculated using various techniques such as Laplace's method, steepest descent method, or the method of stationary phase. These methods involve manipulating the integrand and taking the limit of the integral as the independent variable approaches a certain limit.

What are some applications of the asymptotic form of a Fourier type integral?

The asymptotic form of a Fourier type integral has many practical applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It is often used in the analysis of oscillatory integrals, in the study of asymptotic expansions, and in the evaluation of various special functions. It also has applications in signal processing, control theory, and quantum mechanics.

What are some limitations of the asymptotic form of a Fourier type integral?

While the asymptotic form of a Fourier type integral is a powerful tool, it has some limitations. It may not accurately approximate the value of the integral for small values of the independent variable, and it may also fail for certain types of integrands, such as those with multiple saddle points. Additionally, the calculations involved can be quite complex and may require advanced mathematical techniques.