Asymptotic form of soliton-antisoliton solution for S.G eqn.

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding the soliton-antisoliton scattering in the sine-gordon equation. The author suggests a solution in the form of an arctangent function, but there is a difficulty in using the addition formula. The correct definition of $\Delta$ is provided and the key trick to solve the problem is using the addition formula for arctangent.
Othin
I'm not sure this is the best place for this question, and apologize if it isn't. I'm studying the classical field solutions on the first few chapter of Rajaraman's Solitons and instantons : an introduction to solitons and instantons in quantum field theory. Well, my question is about one of those intermediate steps that authors love to skip on the grounds that the reader should be able to do it without much difficulty. It may be silly, but I just can't see it. Anyway, we know that soliton-antisoliton scattering is allowed for the sine-gordon equation, and this solution has the form:
\begin{equation}
\phi(x,t)=4arctan\left( \frac{sinh(ut/\sqrt{1-v^2})}{u \ cosh(x/\sqrt{1-v^2})}\right)
\end{equation}
He argues that in the limit that t goes to minus infinity, for example, this becomes
\begin{equation}
\phi\rightarrow 4arctan\left[exp\left(\frac{x+v(t+\Delta/2)}{\sqrt{1-v^2}}\right) \right] -
4arctan\left[exp\left(\frac{x-v(t+\Delta/2)}{\sqrt{1-v^2}}\right) \right]
\end{equation}
where
\begin{equation}
\Delta\equiv \frac{1-v^2}{v}lnv
\end{equation}
and a similar solution for the positive infinity case(Page 38 of Rajaraman's forementioned book). I tried to put the solution in a form in which I can use the arctangent addiction formula, but thus far no success. Closer I got was
\begin{equation}
4arctan\left \{\left[\frac{exp\left(x + \gamma v(t+(lnv)/(v\gamma))\right)}{1+e^{2\gamma x}} \right] - \left[\frac{exp\left(x - \gamma v(t-(lnv)/(v\gamma))\right)}{1+e^{2\gamma x}} \right] \right \}
\end{equation}
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
A:You're on the right track, but you have a sign error and your definition of $\Delta$ is incorrect. The correct definition is\begin{equation}\Delta \equiv \frac{1-v^2}{v} \ln \left( \frac{1+v}{1-v} \right) = 2 \gamma \ln \left( \frac{1+v}{1-v} \right),\end{equation}where $\gamma$ is as defined in your post. Then the limit is\begin{equation}\lim_{t \to -\infty} 4 \tan^{-1}\left[ \frac{\exp \left( x + \gamma v \left( t + \Delta/2 \right) \right)}{1 + \exp \left( 2 \gamma x \right)} \right] - 4 \tan^{-1}\left[ \frac{\exp \left( x - \gamma v \left( t + \Delta/2 \right) \right)}{1 + \exp \left( 2 \gamma x \right)} \right].\end{equation}The key trick is to use the addition formula for arctangent:\begin{equation}\tan^{-1}\left( x \right) + \tan^{-1}\left( y \right) = \tan^{-1}\left( \frac{x + y}{1 - xy} \right).\end{equation}Applying this to above yields\begin{equation}4 \tan^{-1}\left[ \frac{\exp \left( x + \gamma v \left( t + \Delta/2 \right) + \exp \left( x - \gamma v \left( t + \Delta/2 \right) \right)}{1 - \exp \left( 2 \gamma x \right)} \right] = 4 \tan^{-1} \left[ \exp \left( x + \gamma v \left( t + \Delta/2 \right) \right).\end{equation}

FAQ: Asymptotic form of soliton-antisoliton solution for S.G eqn.

1. What is the "Asymptotic form" of a soliton-antisoliton solution?

The asymptotic form of a soliton-antisoliton solution refers to the behavior of the solution at large distances from the center of the soliton and antisoliton. It describes how the solution approaches a constant value as the distance increases.

2. What is the S.G. equation?

The S.G. equation, or the sine-Gordon equation, is a nonlinear partial differential equation that describes the propagation of waves in one dimension. It is commonly used in various fields of physics, including fluid dynamics, quantum mechanics, and condensed matter physics.

3. How does the soliton-antisoliton solution relate to the S.G. equation?

The soliton-antisoliton solution is a specific solution to the S.G. equation. It describes the behavior of two waves, a soliton and an antisoliton, propagating in opposite directions with equal and opposite velocities, resulting in a stable, localized solution.

4. What is the significance of the "Asymptotic form" of the soliton-antisoliton solution?

The asymptotic form of the soliton-antisoliton solution is significant because it provides insight into the behavior of solitons in the S.G. equation. It helps us understand the long-term behavior of the solution and its stability. It also allows us to make predictions about the behavior of other nonlinear systems that exhibit soliton-like behavior.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the soliton-antisoliton solution for the S.G. equation?

Yes, the soliton-antisoliton solution has been used in various fields of physics, such as in the study of nonlinear optics, superconductivity, and plasma physics. It has also been studied in the context of topological defects in physical systems. Additionally, the S.G. equation itself has been used in the modeling of various physical phenomena, such as Josephson junctions and DNA dynamics.

Back