At what point along the x axis is the electric field zero?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the point along the x-axis where the electric field is zero due to two point charges. The individual discussing the problem is trying to calculate the correct answer but is unsure of their approach. They have calculated two possible values for x but are unsure if either is correct. They also discuss the possibility of it being a homework problem and the importance of the point being on the left of the first charge.
A14
Moved from another forum, so homework template missing
Hello, I've been trying to answering this question but my answer is always wrong.
Two point charges, -9.10 μC and 21.29 μC, are placed at x = 0 cm and x = 8.00 cm, respectively.
(a) At what point along the x-axis is the electric field zero?

What i did: i figured that the point should be on the left of the first charge, so before x=0 (should be negative).
Then i resolve E1 + E2 =0
kQ1/r^2 + kQ2/r^2 =0
(-8,19*10^4)/(x^2) + (1,916*10^5)/((x+8)^2) = 0
(8,19*10^4)/(x^2) = (1,916*10^5)/((x+8)^2)
1.916*10^5*(x^2) = 8,19*10^4 ((x+8)^2)
Then i develop and get x1= 1.51*10^1 or x2= -3.16

What am i doing wrong??

Thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
A14 said:
Hello, I've been trying to answering this question but my answer is always wrong.
Two point charges, -9.10 μC and 21.29 μC, are placed at x = 0 cm and x = 8.00 cm, respectively.
(a) At what point along the x-axis is the electric field zero?

What i did: i figured that the point should be on the left of the first charge, so before x=0 (should be negative).
Then i resolve E1 + E2 =0
kQ1/r^2 + kQ2/r^2 =0
(-8,19*10^4)/(x^2) + (1,916*10^5)/((x+8)^2) = 0
(8,19*10^4)/(x^2) = (1,916*10^5)/((x+8)^2)
1.916*10^5*(x^2) = 8,19*10^4 ((x+8)^2)
Then i develop and get x1= 1.51*10^1 or x2= -3.16

What am i doing wrong??

Thank you for your help!
Is this a homework problem?

I don't know, for me as it is on the left of Q1, the distance to Q2 would be x (distance from point to Q1) + 8 (distance between Q1&Q2)?

Yes it is a homework problem!

Yes i see why it has to be negative (it has to be on the left of Q1 which is at x=0)
But -3.16 is not the right answer..

A14 said:
Yes i see why it has to be negative (it has to be on the left of Q1 which is at x=0)
But -3.16 is not the right answer..
Think again about that x+8. With x=-3.16, what does that make x+8?

Related to At what point along the x axis is the electric field zero?

1. What is the significance of the x axis when determining the electric field?

The x axis is an important reference point when calculating the electric field because it represents the direction and magnitude of the electric field in a particular direction in space.

2. Can the electric field ever be zero along the x axis?

Yes, the electric field can be zero at certain points along the x axis. This typically occurs when the positive and negative charges are equal and opposite, resulting in a cancellation of the electric field.

3. How can I determine the point along the x axis where the electric field is zero?

The point where the electric field is zero along the x axis can be calculated using Coulomb's Law and the principle of superposition. By setting the net electric field to zero, the position of the point can be solved for.

4. Does the position of the point where the electric field is zero change with different charge distributions?

Yes, the position of the point where the electric field is zero can vary depending on the distribution of charge. For example, a spherical charge distribution may have a different point where the electric field is zero compared to a linear charge distribution.

5. How does the distance between charges affect the point where the electric field is zero?

The distance between charges affects the point where the electric field is zero in that the closer the charges are, the closer the zero point will be to the charges. As the distance between charges increases, the zero point will also move farther away from the charges.