At what time will the policeman catch up with the car?

• Thread starter faunmia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Time
In summary, the car traveled a total of 80 km in 10 seconds and 100 km in 5 seconds. The motercycle policeman traveled a total of 20 km in 10 seconds and 25 km in 5 seconds. The policeman caught up with the car after 4 seconds.
faunmia
A car traveling with a constant speed of 80km/hr passes a stationary motorcycle policeman. The policeman sets off in pursuit, accelerating to 80km/hr in 10 seconds and reaching a constant speed of 100km/hr after a further 5 seconds. At what time will the policeman catch up with the car?

The past questions I have been doing in the same section have been about graphs, I think that this is the same but I'm stumped. I then thought about putting two equations together and cancelling but this worked to no avail as way. The working for the equations is below but I wasn't sure about how to put the working for that here

Any help would be greatly appreciated:smile:

x=ut+1/2at^2
and
x=vt-1/2at^2
I put these two together and got
ut+1/2at^2=vt-1/2at^2
I rearranged to get
u2t/4at^4
That is where I got stuck because I wasn't sure how to rearrange

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are taking the correct approach, but you are missing something:

First, notice that the car has a constant velocity; therefore, its acceleration is...?

(Once you figure that out, the rest of the problem should fall apart.)

Second, your algebra is messed up; I'm not sure how you got the [tex]t^{4}[/tex] term, but that is incorrect.

(Anyway, once you correct the acceleration of the car, the algebra should be easy.

HTH,

jIyajbe

First of all convert km/hr to m/s. Now calculate the acceleration of the motercycle during 10 second and distance traveled during that period. Repeat the same thing for 5 second period. Note down the total distance traveled by motercycle and car in 15 second. At that instant find the distance between them. Now both are moving with constant speed. Knowing the velocity of motercycle, car and distance between them, you can find the time taken by policeman to catch the car.

Thanks I'll try it

FAQ: At what time will the policeman catch up with the car?

1. How is the time of the policeman catching up with the car calculated?

The time of the policeman catching up with the car is calculated using the formula: time = distance / relative speed. This takes into account the distance between the car and the policeman, as well as their respective speeds.

2. What factors can affect the time it takes for the policeman to catch up with the car?

The time it takes for the policeman to catch up with the car can be affected by factors such as the speed of the car and the policeman, the distance between them, and any obstacles or traffic that may slow down the car or the policeman.

3. How accurate is the calculation of the time for the policeman to catch up with the car?

The accuracy of the calculation depends on the accuracy of the input values, such as the distance and speed of the car and the policeman. It also assumes that there are no other factors, such as changes in speed or direction, that may affect the time.

4. Can the calculation of the time be used in real-life situations?

The calculation of the time can be used in real-life situations as long as the input values are accurate and there are no other factors that may affect the time. In real-life scenarios, it is also important to take into account the reaction time of the policeman and any changes in speed or direction of the car.

5. Are there any limitations to using the calculation of the time for the policeman to catch up with the car?

There may be limitations to using the calculation of the time, as it assumes constant speeds and no other factors that may affect the time. It may also not be applicable in situations where there are drastic changes in speed or direction of the car or if the distance between the car and the policeman is constantly changing.

Back