Atmospheric physics / geophysics.

In summary, as a 2nd year applied physics student interested in careers in atmospheric physics or geophysics, you may want to consider looking into aerosol research or studying the impact of specific volcanic eruptions. While it is controversial, manipulating weather and climate through techniques such as injecting volcanic ash into the atmosphere is possible, but the practicality and potential consequences are uncertain. It may be more productive to improve modeling and predictive capabilities by studying existing volcanic eruptions. Atmospheric or Earth sciences, as well as chemistry or physics departments, may offer opportunities in this field.
Aerozeppelin
I'm a 2nd year applied physics student in university and I'm wondering if anyone has advice on careers in atmospheric physics / geophysics.

Although it is controversial I would like to go into the field of research of climate control by injecting volcanic ash into the atmosphere.

Does anyone know how I should go about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say the career aspects of something like that is bleak at best. Perhaps something like environmental science or engineering would be better suited for you career wise.

Have you taken atmospheric physics classes? Aerosol research might be something that interests you in general - maybe check that out. It's also a field where people don't really know that much about how it affects temperature of the Earth (really huge uncertainties) so there's room to make progress.

Aerozeppelin said:
I'm a 2nd year applied physics student in university and I'm wondering if anyone has advice on careers in atmospheric physics / geophysics.

Although it is controversial I would like to go into the field of research of climate control by injecting volcanic ash into the atmosphere.

Does anyone know how I should go about this?
Certainly understanding terrestrial atmospheric physics and geophysics are important, as well as being very interesting.

Manipulation of weather and climate has been done, e.g., seeding of clouds. And there are folks who would propose to manipulate climate on a large scale. However, the practicality is questionable, and there are always the potential for unintended (and often unforeseen) consequences.

There are a number of volcanoes that already injected huge volumes of volcanic ash into the atmosphere. It may be more productive to study the impact of specific volcanic eruptions and thereby improve the modeling/simulation and predictive capabilities of models.

See for example - Tungurahua
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tungurahua
http://www.volcano.si.edu/volcano.cfm?vn=352080

or others like Merapi (Indonesia), Ubinas (Peru), etc
http://www.volcano.si.edu/reports_weekly.cfm

Look into atmospheric or Earth sciences. It is also possible to do in chemistry or physics departments (some scientists in both groups looking into phase transitions/nucleation/etc).

Related to Atmospheric physics / geophysics.

1. What is atmospheric physics/geophysics?

Atmospheric physics/geophysics is the study of the Earth's atmosphere and its physical properties, such as temperature, pressure, and composition. It also includes the study of the Earth's surface and its interactions with the atmosphere, as well as the processes that control the movement of air and energy in the atmosphere.

2. How does atmospheric physics/geophysics help us understand climate change?

Atmospheric physics/geophysics plays a crucial role in understanding climate change by studying the Earth's atmosphere and its interactions with the other components of the climate system, such as the oceans, land, and biosphere. This helps us to better understand the causes and effects of climate change, and to develop models and predictions for future climate scenarios.

3. What are some techniques used in atmospheric physics/geophysics research?

Some common techniques used in atmospheric physics/geophysics research include satellite observations, weather balloons, remote sensing, computer modeling, and ground-based measurements. These techniques allow scientists to gather data and make observations about the Earth's atmosphere and its behavior.

4. How does atmospheric physics/geophysics relate to weather forecasting?

Atmospheric physics/geophysics is closely related to weather forecasting as it provides a scientific understanding of the processes that drive weather patterns. By studying the behavior of the atmosphere, scientists can make predictions about future weather conditions and help us to better prepare for severe weather events.

5. What are some current challenges in atmospheric physics/geophysics research?

Some current challenges in atmospheric physics/geophysics research include understanding the complex interactions between the different components of the climate system, such as the atmosphere, oceans, and land, and their impacts on global climate change. Other challenges include improving the accuracy of weather and climate models, and developing strategies for mitigating and adapting to the effects of climate change.